Hit Decals!

nuzrak

I'm not seeing any at all form tank shells to MG fire on soft targets!

It's not a big deal, just wanted to confirm it was my end, I'll re-install the files, thanks for the quick reply ;)

I don't think you will see holes as big as some of the stuff from WW2. Even those you have to look for closely sometimes.  

Hmmm . . .

Should I be seeing hit decals under similar conditions to CMRT?  I understand the long rod penetrators punch a tiny hole compared to an 88mm - but I'm just not seeing them often, where I expect them?

For example I spent 20 minutes shooting everything up at the range with a wide range of weapons.  The only hit decals I see anywhere are 30mm "dents" in the side of a T-72 turret.

Killed T-72's with RPG's = no decal (expecting HEAT "splatter" decal?)

Smashed up side of a BMP with 30mm = no decals (but maybe BMP-3's don't "dent"? Ceramic?

AP rounds through turrets of BMP's = no decals, expecting small hole at least?

I have found that hit-decals are one of the most important things that have raised the immersion and "story" of CM games - but first impression is that it feels "missing" in CMBS?

EDIT // BTW - have tried toggle graphics settings like shaders.

Edited by Col Rosenberger

As sort of a tangent, one day they'll have to have more interesting vehicle kill models.  Not exactly for the ooooh factor (although there is that too), but with how far CM has come in showing the battlefield, it is a little silly to have a really destroyed BMP just be a fully intact BMP sitting at the bottom of a self made crater.  Something like CCTT where a mobility kill shows a knocked off track, and firepower kills are blackened turrets would be nice.  If we're going over the top having the flying turret effect for catastrophic detonations would be nice too.

Not asking for twenty different kill animations for the BMP-2 alone, just the sort of visual feedback on the model of what might be broken.  

I mean if this is something Combat Mission Alpha Centauri never fixes, I'd still buy the next game in a heartbeat.  Just something I'd like.  

As sort of a tangent, one day they'll have to have more interesting vehicle kill models.  Not exactly for the ooooh factor (although there is that too), but with how far CM has come in showing the battlefield, it is a little silly to have a really destroyed BMP just be a fully intact BMP sitting at the bottom of a self made crater.  Something like CCTT where a mobility kill shows a knocked off track, and firepower kills are blackened turrets would be nice.  If we're going over the top having the flying turret effect for catastrophic detonations would be nice too.

Not asking for twenty different kill animations for the BMP-2 alone, just the sort of visual feedback on the model of what might be broken.  

I mean if this is something Combat Mission Alpha Centauri never fixes, I'd still buy the next game in a heartbeat.  Just something I'd like.  

I want to see better inf animations to, especially running. Plus some actual blood or damage showing on the soldiers. For instance if heavy Arty hits some infnatry I'd like to see hardly anything left. Yes it does sound bloodthristy but I feel it shows how gruesome war is and doesn't sanitize it which is how it feels at the moment.

I'd just like to chip in blood is too far.  The damage model for person in the game is operational, lightly damaged and broken.  The running around mostly fine, or not running around because dead options are more than sufficient. Tanks have a pretty wide range of broken though, so it might be helpful to have visual feedback to some of the more obvious damage.  

The combination of hit decals with ERA boxes does seem to confuse matters somewhat. You see exploded ERA boxes with a nice non-penetrating hit decal beneath it, or sometimes there's no exploded ERA box and no hit decal on top of it - BUT you find an exit hole out the back!

Sometimes i see this:

zuq73u.jpg

That is not what it is supposed to look like. Sometimes my hit decals also appear completely black. Sometimes they appear normal. Any ideas what i could do to fix this (if it is a client side problem)? Hit decals in CMRT are displayed normally.

I'd just like to chip in blood is too far.  The damage model for person in the game is operational, lightly damaged and broken.  The running around mostly fine, or not running around because dead options are more than sufficient. Tanks have a pretty wide range of broken though, so it might be helpful to have visual feedback to some of the more obvious damage.  

Wouldn't want loads of blood, just maybe similar to the small hit decals the soldier gets a small red bullet hole decal. 

"That is not what it is supposed to look like."

Ugh, that's one of those graphics card-specifics issues that drive the testers crazy!. A pile of Beta testers on a wide assortment of machines but nobody has the graphics card combo to get that problem. Poor programmer Phil practically has to work blind to address it. And often its not really our issue, its a messed up graphics card product whose issues need to be worked around.

Same issue here..  I am running full on everything on a SLI based GTX 780 system...  No hit decals...   I have also noticed the game does not seem to be using the GPU like it should..  My meters are down in the 14-20% range even on the largest battles yet the graphics are bogged, screen redraw etc...

Same symptoms on another machine that is single GPU based, GTX 780TI..   So I know it is not the system..   My SLI based unit should be running things with out any issues at all graphics wise..

Combined with decals not showing...  something going on....

Same issue here..  I am running full on everything on a SLI based GTX 780 system...  No hit decals...   I have also noticed the game does not seem to be using the GPU like it should..  My meters are down in the 14-20% range even on the largest battles yet the graphics are bogged, screen redraw etc...

Same symptoms on another machine that is single GPU based, GTX 780TI..   So I know it is not the system..   My SLI based unit should be running things with out any issues at all graphics wise..

Combined with decals not showing...  something going on....

CPU is the bottleneck in Combat Mission games, even with a five year old GPU.

Anyway, So far I havent been able to spot a single hit decal. I tried turning all the options like shaders etc on and off but no dice

Guys just in case this helps

save the attached file as a .bmp  - it must be a .bmp and put it in your mods folder. It will make the non heat decals easier to see. 

I've just set up a UKR mech Bttn vs a RUS Mech Bttn on a 500m map and at the end of turn one there are plenty of decals to see. 

penetration%2520decal.jpg

Guys just in case this helps

save the attached file as a .bmp  - it must be a .bmp and put it in your mods folder. It will make the non heat decals easier to see. 

I've just set up a UKR mech Bttn vs a RUS Mech Bttn on a 500m map and at the end of turn one there are plenty of decals to see. 

penetration%2520decal.jpg

Still no change on my end for medium to larger games...   No hit decals at all.   Starting to wonder if it is related to GPU not being used and the graphics drawing ... Settings seem to make no difference at all.    Will have to play a few smaller scenarios and see if that does anything..

But that should not make a difference on a 32 GB i-7 based system in SLI using GTX780 cards..