Is it important to harass the tank commander make him hide. ...

Lucky so-and-so ! :lol:

I've tried to KO vehicles with mortars before ( usually open-topped ), but have never actually pulled it off.

But to answer your question, yes, forcing the Tank Commander to button up does restrict the tank's spotting. Although the effect will be more marked to the flanks - the best spotting of a buttoned tank will be directly forward.

BFC think it's so important that the TacAI will (absent other orders) prioritise unbuttoned vehicles over pretty much any other target for small arms calibre fire. MGs will open up on them from half a kilometer, rifles and squad automatics from the very edge of any range the TacAI will fire at anything.

so I stopped the battle midway through posted the post above then continued the battle and answered my own question ..

Brilliant.  And was that a spotting round that hit the tank?  Nice I spent what seemed like forever getting a confirmable artillery kill on a tank.  It is pretty cool when it happends.

so I stopped the battle midway through posted the post above then continued the battle and answered my own question ..

I have to say that (as an act of desperation usually) I've targeted enemy armour with arty many, many times and although it usually results in an undented tank, it's actually worth doing. You're unlikely to get a kill but (especially with heavy calibre stuff) you can get immobilisations and diabled MAs and that's a result. The crews don't like it much either.

I managed to pull this off too. Was desperate 'cos I ran out of any other means and called arty on the stationary enemy tank and scored a hit. 95 % of the time it doesn't happen though, especially not with smaller ordnance that doesn't even immobilize the tank (which is a moot point any way if tank is stationary and is preventing the whole company from advance in that sector). 

Brilliant.  And was that a spotting round that hit the tank?  Nice I spent what seemed like forever getting a confirmable artillery kill on a tank.  It is pretty cool when it happends.

The 81 mm arty had been going for a bit it messed up that vehicle to the left of the tank and then eventually hit the tank it was a short or little salvo though ...

I don't want to start a new topic, but something that's been niggling at me: A friend and myself have been playing a PBEM match, and I just lost 2 tank commanders to LMG bursts from 450m - and I'm beginning to wonder if the TCs who were wounded had any grey matter between their skulls.

You take 4 bursts of fire from 450m....and you don't button up? I admire their bravery, and curse their stupidity. Does anyone else get this lack of self preservation from TCs? Its absolutely infuriating to lose key leaders to silliness like this; when they should've buttoned up the moment the first burst of fire clattered off the turret. To stay exposed for 4 more bursts to finally get hit? 

There is variation in the game. TCs sometimes drop down right away and other times they stay up longer than you might have. Loosing two TCs from fire 450m away in short order is a bit of bad luck for you. Next time you might see both of them duck down and survive.

I would admire their bravery and simultaniously curse their stupidity and then have the crews extract revenge.

:D

I don't want to start a new topic, but something that's been niggling at me: A friend and myself have been playing a PBEM match, and I just lost 2 tank commanders to LMG bursts from 450m - and I'm beginning to wonder if the TCs who were wounded had any grey matter between their skulls.

You take 4 bursts of fire from 450m....and you don't button up? I admire their bravery, and curse their stupidity. Does anyone else get this lack of self preservation from TCs? Its absolutely infuriating to lose key leaders to silliness like this; when they should've buttoned up the moment the first burst of fire clattered off the turret. To stay exposed for 4 more bursts to finally get hit? 

I mentioned somewhere on some form of some topic at some time and it was weird cause what happened was my Forward Observe sent in a medium air strike on a tank and the commander is sitting up in the turret and like 4 or 5 times the plane came by and had direct hits all over the top of the tank (with machine gun fire) it was sparking like a train grinding to a hault but anyway not only did the commander NOT button up he didn't even get hit. (My army got so scared at that they ran back to base got under the covers into the fetal position and began shaking) but any then another time one of my tanks is moving and some infantry pop up and are running around (they finally see them) so the commander or somebody pops out of the turret gets on the .50 lights them up and then ducks back down all in about 15 seconds or less ... 

I never play 'Iron' mode but I did some experimenting yesterday. In 'Iron' mode you only see the units that the guy you've clicked on can see, both friendly and enemy. I clicked on a buttoned tank and Poof! Everybody around him turned into question mark symbols! I had no idea that tanks situational awareness was so miserable. That was an object lesson in why you should force an enemy tank to button.

I never play 'Iron' mode but I did some experimenting yesterday. In 'Iron' mode you only see the units that the guy you've clicked on can see, both friendly and enemy. I clicked on a buttoned tank and Poof! Everybody around him turned into question mark symbols! I had no idea that tanks situational awareness was so miserable. That was an object lesson in why you should force an enemy tank to button.

i ALWAYS play on iron mode, it's more useful in knowing who knows what