Recommendations needed!

Okay! Whew! Finally sorted out the fiasco of installing and activating this beast, now I need recommendations on two areas:

1. Mods! What should I be looking at to add to my CMBN experience? I am particularly looking for those that make info-acquisition regarding units better. Increased eye candy is good, but stuff that helps with strategy and situational awareness is the main thing I'm after.

2. Missions! What should I be sinking my teeth into? I'm particularly interested in campaign-types so I get a feeling of progression as well as caring for my particular unit. I loved the Band of Brothers series because I followed only one unit and I hated The Pacific series because it covered different units and I ended up getting confused and eventually not caring. While a stand-alone mission/scenario might be considered (especially if it's got a lot of tank-vs-tank action!), my preference for now is an easy-to-get-into campaign for a new player.

Please note that I have purchased everything CMBN-related so I should be able to tackle any mod/mission recommended.

Thanks in advance! Now I'm off to do (or re-do, but it's been such a long time that I might as well start over) the tutorial missions!

Okay! Whew! Finally sorted out the fiasco of installing and activating this beast, now I need recommendations on two areas:

1. Mods! What should I be looking at to add to my CMBN experience? I am particularly looking for those that make info-acquisition regarding units better. Increased eye candy is good, but stuff that helps with strategy and situational awareness is the main thing I'm after.

2. Missions! What should I be sinking my teeth into? I'm particularly interested in campaign-types so I get a feeling of progression as well as caring for my particular unit. I loved the Band of Brothers series because I followed only one unit and I hated The Pacific series because it covered different units and I ended up getting confused and eventually not caring. While a stand-alone mission/scenario might be considered (especially if it's got a lot of tank-vs-tank action!), my preference for now is an easy-to-get-into campaign for a new player.

Please note that I have purchased everything CMBN-related so I should be able to tackle any mod/mission recommended.

Thanks in advance! Now I'm off to do (or re-do, but it's been such a long time that I might as well start over) the tutorial missions!

regarding mods, i dont know . i kinda feel like vanila game is best . in beginning i hated vanila looks and always was downloading mods, but now not anymore.later perhaps i ll again start using heavily moded CM

this collection makes the game diffferent while not changing the looks too much or feel of the game, but still game looks different

Veins tracers v3.1

Juju's Ui

HQ 1.5 sound mod (not perfect but sounds are better quality than vanila at least. they are not so realistic kinda, at least some of them(Neither is vanila) , but this is perhaps the best mod at the moment* available)

install those 3 and you will play a different game next few battles and you 'd probably be like '' wow this is better'' but then after 1 week you ll probably revert to vanila again.

endless cycle

(Note: veins tracers reduce tracer visibility and lenght, so it actually reduces situational awerenss in theory, but it looks very good)

Note: Hq.1.5 has unique sound for every single weapon (Except some cannon callibers) so you can actually know what kind of weapon is firing on you from the woods

NOte:juju's ui improves visuals of the UI , no pros or cons in gameplay in that sense,everything is same just more colorful

Play Devils descent and mod the hell out of it for just the units involved. and then watch the darn thing at eyeball level, take screenies and post em.

Here is the description.

This narrative campaign is designed to immerse you as completely as possible in the role of Captain Evans, commander of C Company, 1st Battalion, 508th Parachute Infantry Regiment. Your company is destined to play a pivotal role in the 82nd Airborne's seizure of Sainte-Mére-Èglise on D-Day.

This fictional but historically plausible campaign infludes:

-Four possible branches, depending on the player's choices

-A complete campaign narrative with memorable characters and real command choices

-Six combat missions (no pun intended) that run the gamut of the 82nd's operations on the morning of D-Day

@Lacroix gave you a good list. I would add my personal favourite: Vin's animated text but he has not released a version for 3.11 yet. The other thing I do is get a compass mod so I don't get confused looking at the compass graphics that don't behave like compass. I pulled one out of another mod but I forget which one (oops).

I also disagree that Juju's mode just just pretty because I find he does a good job of making the toggles (like open, hide, deploy) much clearer. Now the more recent games' vanilla graphics have been better in that regard but I still find the toggles in the vanilla graphics for CMBN hard to discern.

Best compass mod is in Marco Bergmann's UI mod - you can use just the compass as he's conveniently broken the mod down into folders.

Also recommend Vein's Flames ( now packaged with Effects too, but you can still use just the flames if you prefer ). Makes a HUGE difference over the stock flame.

I at the moment don't use any ground/vegetation/objects mod textures. Swapped in the vanilla after I realized some maps were created especially with vanilla textures in mind and other modded textures substantially change the map.

I also am not using any vehicles texture mods at the moment (temporarily) due to the fact not all have been modded (VP pack but also some vehicles from MG are still left to be touched by Aris).

I had a personal combo of different sound mods but realized I ran into problems not all sounds being properly equalized between each other so I went with mostly HQ 1.5 sound for gun shots and explosions, etc. Problem is when explosions start all sound mods have a problem when it comes to vehicle sounds which get too subdued ie. noise level from them even if you are just next to them is too low. Will have to test if the same applies to vanilla but I doubt it. Odball's sound mod is great too. It all comes to personal taste in the end.

I use Juju's UI but it hasn't been upgraded for VP yet so you'll find vanilla icons for new vehicles.

Special effects are Vein's.

As for uniforms I use Vein's ones. He modded all the army branches for all sides. You need to contact him directly though since he hasn't uploaded them being big in size.

About campaigns, the only decent one I found for download is Devils' Descent. It has some good missions, and nice branching structure, but turns into a no-brainer turkey shoot towards the end, with the enemy just charging at you across an open field, not sure why. Maybe it depended on the choices I made earlier, maybe it's just a bit flawed. Worth the download in any case.

Blue and Grey was not very good in my opinion. No offense intended. I quit after a couple of missions.

I'm surprised nobody has recommended a "gridded terrain" mod.... seems like a useful tool to see the lay of the land instead of just looking at the sea of grass. Am I missing something here? Is it not that useful?

Well they have their fans but I personally do not like the way it looks. I tired one out a while back and did not find it as helpful as I expected and I did not like the look. Try one and see if you like it.

Thanks Ales!

I'm surprised nobody has recommended a "gridded terrain" mod.... seems like a useful tool to see the lay of the land instead of just looking at the sea of grass. Am I missing something here? Is it not that useful?

It seems really useful, but it also makes it very obvious at all times that you are playing a game. I prefer the extra immersion.

Thanks Ales!

I prefer to get down in the weeds with the camera...

A while back I created a whole bunch of 'Mod Packs' for some members of the FGM who didn't want to dload a million individual files. Most of the mods mentioned above were included. See the video in the OP to see what your game will look like if you grab them all. Just note it's a little dated now and was done prior to the 3.0 upgrade and the Market Garden module so there could be some errors or missing artwork now. Still for most vehicles etc, it's saves a lot of time.

Edit: And I should point out, the mods aren't mine! All kudos and praise to the mod makers!

http://www.thefewgoodmen.com/thefgmforum/threads/mods-aris-and-other-popular-mods-combined-into-easy-to-download-packs.17477/

As for scenarios... shameless plug... search for 'Three Patrol Action' in the repository. :D

A while back I created a whole bunch of 'Mod Packs' for some members of the FGM who didn't want to dload a million individual files. Most of the mods mentioned above were included. See the video in the OP to see what your game will look like if you grab them all. Just note it's a little dated now and was done prior to the 3.0 upgrade and the Market Garden module so there could be some errors or missing artwork now. Still for most vehicles etc, it's saves a lot of time.

Edit: And I should point out, the mods aren't mine! All kudos and praise to the mod makers!

http://www.thefewgoodmen.com/thefgmforum/threads/mods-aris-and-other-popular-mods-combined-into-easy-to-download-packs.17477/

As for scenarios... shameless plug... search for 'Three Patrol Action' in the repository. :D

heh just DL'd your terrain and environment, I liked the church bells in there. Any idea who's sound mod that is?

Thanks Ales!

I find it very helpful and find it difficult to play without.

Also, get all of Fuser's verhicle mods (lots of them).