CMBN 3.X question

Forgive me for asking, but I don't post a lot.

1. To upgrade to 3.X, I don't have to re-install anything, just submit serials for game/modules? Also, must I remove Z folder first and then put it back. I would rather not upgrade than lose Aris and Juju's mods, particularly desktop general.

2. Do most people see a measurable increase in quality with the shaders?

Basically, I'm hesitant to mess with what is already working well. Thanks!

Rosseau,

I can't speak to the mods; others have discussed this in various threads, most recently on CMRT. what I can say, though, is that once you've hacked through ordering, when you activate, it upgrades the core system, of which your modules are parts which don't stand alone. By upgrading the core game, everything is now 3.0, obviating any need for license keys for separate game modules. To avoid a great deal of wasted time and aggravation, may I suggest you read my new post over on CMBN Tech Support detailing my ordering and activation woes?

Regards,

John Kettler

Yes. Just remove the z folder first. After you upgrade, put back in and you will be fine.

Mord.

*sigh* The only thing that matters is if you have incompatible mods in your mod folder. The instruction to remove the mod folder has nothing to do with the install process itself, but is trying to avoid players starting a new version with the mods folder (and potential conflicts) in place. Obviously removing the mod folder, installing, then putting the whole folder right back in will do nothing to avoid potential conflicts.

And how do you know if there are conflicts? Well one is pretty much guaranteed to be a conflict: Vins animated text. Other UI mods can some times cause problems. It is also possible but much rarer that a vehicle mod will cause a problem - I personally have not seen that one.

What I do when I instal something new is create a copy of the working thing as @Womble suggests, go delete Vins animated text mode and then run the install. If something in the UI looks wonky then I remove any other UI mods and see if that helps.

My experience- After hesitating for months, I just bought the upgrade a few days ago. Installing it was quick and easy, making me wish I'd done it sooner. When I first fired up the game it didn't seem to realize I had the Market Garden module installed. On a hunch, I restarted the computer, and everything runs perfect from then on.

(Before upgrading I copied the game to another folder to be able to continue a game with a non-upgraded opponent. That was quick and easy also.)

So I say, go for it.

Thanks for the responses. Yes, it would make sense to copy a legacy version, even at 11 gigs, just to compare it with 3.1. I still enjoy CMSF and fun to move up the ladder to RT and see the obvious improvements in the engine over the years. I will probably wait until after Christmas, though. Need to get Black Sea first.

http://www.battlefront.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage_bfc&product_id=459&category_id=36&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=26

The latest patch is 2.12 so ....The v3.0 Upgrade for CM Normandy is not a standalone game. You need the Combat Mission: Battle for Normandy basegame, patched to v2.12, in order to play.

You will find it in the store> You have to pay for it!

http://www.battlefront.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage_bfc&product_id=459&category_id=36&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=26

The latest patch is 2.12 so ....

The v3.0 Upgrade for CM Normandy is not a standalone game. You need the Combat Mission: Battle for Normandy basegame, patched to v2.12, in order to play.

You will find it in the store> You have to pay for it!