Any Chance of A Move to Asia?

db_zero

As much as Russia is interesting-IMO Asia is where you might see conventional forces duking it out.

There is a reason why the US military is pivoting its focus to Asia and behind the scenes the Army and Marines are reportedly engaged in a bureaucratic turf war over budgets and roles in the Pacific region.

Plenty more than Taiwan and Korea. A resurgent and modernized Chinese army against Japan over disputed islands with the US assisting Japan.

China vs VietNam over disputed resource rich areas. China vs the Phillipines over disputed areas with the US backing them in the fight against China.

China vs Russia...

Steve should have no problem with those TOEs ;)

Japan and Russia could go at it over the Kuril islands and as a result Russia could invade Hokaido. Sure far fetched, but isn't that part of the appeal of wargames?

A Korean war where like the first one China decides to join in.

China and Viet-Nam don't get along.

Also be a good module for the US Marines.

Well who knows maybe once Black Sea is out someone will make an Asia mod. SF has some great mods.

China buy Russia? Ill admit I've been buying China in the form of Alibaba. You may be looking at the next google, if not bigger.

Actually if there is a U.S./NATO vs. China conflict it will probably be in Africa. The Chinese are making big investments in infrastructure there, and pushing their influence on various countries. The U.S. has all kinds of special operations forces operating all over Africa now.

Africa has a lot of natural resources that I am sure the U.S. and China would love to fight over, and it would make for some interesting terrain and environments in the CM World.

If I remember correctly, MikeyD made a very cool African Mod for CM:SF.

Actually if there is a U.S./NATO vs. China conflict it will probably be in Africa. The Chinese are making big investments in infrastructure there and pushing there influence on various countries. The U.S. has all kinds of special operations forces operating all over Africa now.

Africa has a lot of natural resources that I am sure the U.S. and China would love to fight over.

Very true and the perfect segway for a China vs US/Asia module. US and China skirmish in Africa leads to a resurgent China using its modernized military to challenge the US and its allieds in the Pacific region in response to conflict in Africa.

Unfortunately none of those are likely to be a scenario BF would build a game around. Russia invading Hokkaido would be an utter disaster for Russia and China is incapable of a sustained operation overseas. On top of that it is highly unlikely BF is going to build a game around a special operations only scenario.

There aren't too many pacific scenarios that have China in more than an air/naval conflict and the few land scenarios are simply too limited.

A China/India or India/Pakistan conflict might be a viable high intensity conflict, but unlikely to generate the income. Honestly there aren't too many modern conflicts involving US forces that are going to be on a scale to warrant a BF title and BF only ventures into hypothetical conflicts that to them are real potential conflicts. At least so far... maybe after space lobsters of doom.

Unfortunately none of those are likely to be a scenario BF would build a game around. Russia invading Hokkaido would be an utter disaster for Russia and China is incapable of a sustained operation overseas. On top of that it is highly unlikely BF is going to build a game around a special operations only scenario.

There aren't too many pacific scenarios that have China in more than an air/naval conflict and the few land scenarios are simply too limited.

A China/India or India/Pakistan conflict might be a viable high intensity conflict, but unlikely to generate the income. Honestly there aren't too many modern conflicts involving US forces that are going to be on a scale to warrant a BF title and BF only ventures into hypothetical conflicts that to them are real potential conflicts. At least so far... maybe after space lobsters of doom.

Understand. Would just be nice to have something more realistic than Red Dragon to cure my Asia itch.

Speaking of a potential war with China, in spite of all the chatter you hear about the Red menace, I have to wonder just how much is real and how much is hype.

Never been to China-but will do so someday, from what I hear from those who been there they love it and they say the Chinese people genuinely like America and Americans. The love our culture and love American products. American cars are a big status symbol over there.

The government may be communist, but the person on the street are about as free market and capitalist as you can get.

I would venture to guess the Chinese loath the Japanese, look down on the Koreans and Philippines, but really like America and Americans....

Equipment coming out of Chinese arms factories are looking increasingly sophisticated, including tanks, planes, APCs, etc. It wouldn't just be repainted Russian equipment, especially considering that the belligerents might be Russia vs China with US left out of the deal entirely! :eek: :o

vt1a-3.jpg~original

Equipment coming out of Chinese arms factories are looking increasingly sophisticated, including tanks, planes, APCs, etc. It wouldn't just be repainted Russian equipment, especially considering that the belligerents might be Russia vs China with US left out of the deal entirely! :eek: :o

vt1a-3.jpg~original

Sure their tanks are getting better, but still use "license-built" versions of the Russian 125 mm 2A46M/2A46M-5 gun and their ERA is also copied from the Russian Relikt and Kontakt-5.

BTW, Is that a type 96A/G or a type-99 MBT?

I understand the reasons why there will be no Asia module, but being the rebel and out of the box person I am I'll go ahead and throw out the following for consideration.

I actually believe a well done Asia module would not only be very entertaining, but also very profitable, it’s just a different and potentially even larger market.

First off the game. While Asia is definitely a theater dominated by sea and airpower, neither of which is in the scope of Combat Mission, ground operations would still be a very critical component. The capture/holding or denial of critical infrastructure such as ports, airfields, government building would be critical to any campaign. The WW2 Pacific Campaign was largely focused around the capture of ports and airfields or areas that would be suitable to build an airfield or port. Any future Asiatic conflict involving Western Powers would follow the same suit.

These would typically be company to battalion sized and fun to play out. Tanks and other AFV's would be playing a supporting role.

Some areas and situations would however lend it self to good sized force on force battles such as a Russia vs. China fight would be on a massive scale.

Infantry centered battles in built up areas appeals to many of us and this would be a perfect module for the US Marines, Australia, New Zealand and other regional forces.

China could support a battalion sized operation and if they choose to do so could easily build up their ability to launch and maintain an operation. You also have North Korea with its huge Special Forces geared to operations in the urbanized South Korea landscape.

An Asia/China based game not profitable? Consider this. November 11th is a big day in China and for those of us invested in Alibaba a huge day. Its Singles day in China and last year Alibaba did something to the tune of 8.5 billion dollars in sales-on November 11th alone!

To put that in perspective Black Friday in America is about 1.5 to 2 billion dollars in sales. The Chinese market is still not even close to being penetrated as only about 25% have computers and use the internet!

A Combat Mission game with China marketed properly could be a huge money maker for BF-just play off the nationalist tendencies. Yes the average person on the street in China loves American and American culture, yet paradoxically the younger computer savvy generation feels its Chinas time and the next century is their century. This is your hook.

If BF/CM just reached 1 to 5% of the potential China Market that would dwarf the current sales.

Build it and they shall come...sure much of this is hypothetical, but then again wasn't Shock Force and a Western intervention in Syria the same when it first came out?

Well that's my Sunday .02 cents...now its back to the 3rd battle of the Market Garden Campaign which I'll now try again with the 3.0 update and hope my air support won't be more effective than the Germans!

To be clear, any treatment of East Asia in the game would NOT be a module to CMBS, it would be a completely new game family.

Totally different geographical area, different major new combatants = new game.

Could the game go there? Sure. Will it anytime soon? Not without bumping something else off of the development schedule.

To be clear, any treatment of East Asia in the game would NOT be a module to CMBS, it would be a completely new game family.

Totally different geographical area, different major new combatants = new game.

Could the game go there? Sure. Will it anytime soon? Not without bumping something else off of the development schedule.

I agree I don't expect the game to go to Asia, and I'm not complaining. I'll take what I can get and be happy.

Perhaps someone else will notice and go to Asia. Nothing like competition to bring out the best in people, that's what our great free enterprise system does. For now I'll wait for Black Sea to come out and will begin to learn Command Modern Naval Air Operations to cure my Asiatic itch.

Hopefully a modder will go to Asia