Do you ever use MOVE for infantry - apart from in minefields?

I rarely ever make infantry walk by the MOVE command, apart from traversing minefields.

It seems like MOVE makes infantry slow and vulnerable, and with "instant panic mode". that is breaking into full run if they take fire. And since most scenarios are under time pressure, there's simply no time to march around in orderly fashion.

Since QUICK doesn't tire out the guys much, it seems like it has become the default move order, which is a bit of a shame. I prefer each option to have pros and cons depending on the circumstances.

Maybe I'm overlooking some good things about MOVE?

It has been discussed a little before, five years ago, but maybe things have changed since then.

http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=92651&highlight=Move+command

I do use it. Contrary to what you say I do find troops to tire when they undergo quick movement for a longer time whilst troops on move speed never get tired and arrive on the battlefront fresh and rested. Of course it all depends on the size of the map you play the scenario on. Tini maps don't really need normal movement speed while all the rest kinda do if you don't have trucks or halftracks to move troops from where you want them to go.

I use it fairly often - while I'm scouting for the enemy, I'll be moving up HMG's and mortars to the nominal "front line".

While units are behind cover ie. reverse slope of hills and so forth, so that overshoots can only rarely bother them, Heavy Weapon teams benefit from MOVE so as to save their endurance for the "move into position, possibly under fire" phase of their use.

Very often, all the time when enemy contact is not expected and in the woods.

Usually you have enough time to move your guys around the map (of course if you already know their objective) and if something goes wrong they react without too much losses.

I use move frequently. Everytime when enemy contact is not expected the whole squad moves with, well move. It works also fine to let the fire teams follow some way behind a scout Team in cases where enemy contact is possible but not likely (because they didnt open up on the scout team). 1 or 2 turns behind the scouts there is not much to worry about at least against the AI.

To reiterate what others have posted above, I use it from time to time if my troops have a lot of distance to cover and I do not expect them to come under fire. I use it a lot for troops with heavy equipment (e.g., MG and mortar teams) otherwise they tire out too quickly. I really make an effort to keep my troops fresh and rested because I think they fight better that way, they are more alert and their morale is less likely to undergo sudden collapse. At least that is what I tell myself; I never ran any rigorous tests to see if my suppositions are correct.

Michael

I really make an effort to keep my troops fresh and rested because I think they fight better that way, they are more alert and their morale is less likely to undergo sudden collapse. At least that is what I tell myself; I never ran any rigorous tests to see if my suppositions are correct.

Michael

I have the same feeling, therefore if I have enough reserve troops I switch them after an heavy fight (even if they are of inferior quality).

Well, I find that even when getting tired, units will just need a few turns of rest to return to normal state. And since I'm going to let them sit in cover for some time anyway before moving on, I never had any real problems with tired troops. The only thing that tires them seriously is FAST and especially SLOW. So yes, QUICK tires them a little bit, but it disappears quickly..

I never use Move in Normandy. On the flat(tish) terrain, you can Quick your troops to where you want to go, and they'll have been there, watching and catching their breath long enough to recover to Rested, before any Move-ing troops get into position.

Different equation in the hills of Italy, though. There, Move has the advantage of never tiring your troops out, so they can slog uphill all day.

Yeah; I rarely use MOVE in flat, open terrain except for rear area shifting of reserves where there's plenty of time.

But the moment you start sending troops through large patches of woods, through swamps, up hills, etc., you need Move for the HW teams especially or they'll tire out before they've made it more than a couple hundred yards. The fatigue rate for QUICK goes WAY up in dense terrain, especially for heavily laden troops.

MOVE also has a somewhat lower "spotting signature" than QUICK, a fact I've used occasionally when moving units along a path where they have some concealment but there might be some distant enemy observation.

My main use of move (other than withdrawing tank crews that have a long way to go) is with teams that need to keep moving but are already tired. I try to avoid Fatigued and Exhausted so when a team gets to Tired but they have to keep going I switch them to move. Obviously some situations warrant running at all costs - I'm just talking about SOP.

Would a tired mortar team fire inaccurately? If not 'moved' to a firing position and they arrive tired, does this impair setup time or aim?

We do not have full clarity on this point. However many of us do suspect it matters and keep your guys from getting to tired. On the other hand many others think it does not matter and freely run their guys ragged.

Does that clear that up:D

We do not have full clarity on this point. However many of us do suspect it matters and keep your guys from getting to tired. On the other hand many others think it does not matter and freely run their guys ragged.

Does that clear that up:D

Having said that, your mortar unit will often still be fully rested, having Quicked to their firing position (or the point from which they're going to sneak into their firing position) and sat there Hiding and with a miniscule cover arc set for the rest period, well before any mortar that was Moved along the same route. The terrain has to be pretty rough before Moving gets to break-even with Quick. And there's the added bonus of (potentially) inaccurate fire earlier if you find you need it.

As someone who doesn't use Move much, if at all, I've taken rude advantage of opposition troops that I've seen using Move, which I wouldn't have had chance to do if they'd gotten out of my sight more quickly (them TRP fire missions get there quick). So if you're going to use it, do make absolutely sure they aren't going to be espied.