Do AAA guns have a forcefield ?

Harsmith

Am I alone in thinking AAA weapons are to hard to kill ? I get that they put out a metal storm and all but ( I'm thinking of the Soviet 37mm) it's a few guys perched up high in the air on their seats, yet MG fire, close direct cannon fire or even indirect fire doesn't seem to faze them, let alone kill them. I seem to have had just a couple of them out shoot and out last a Panther platoon on a number of occasions. ( Panthers were mission kills). Were they really that effective historically ?

well, there was a discovered problem in that the smoke AA guns put off was prevently units from being able to keep a spot on them to fire. And with them firing as much as they do, could make it almost impossible for units to return fire.

I do not know if that issue has been fixed yet or not. I do know if I know the location of one. I generally use my area fire command for my units to help make sure that my units continue to fire on the area without having to worry about keeping a spot on the unit.

But as for the AA unit having the ability to withstand fire adnormally. No, they seem to die just fine as long as you get rounds on them. I see them die as easy as any other crew weapon.

Not sure if this is the same thing but I have had a couple of instances (v2.12 or earlier) where there was 1 AA gun crew member was left cowering under the AA gun (I think it was the quad 50) immune to multiple teams right next to the gun firing and throwing grenades for multiple turns. As the AA crew member was prone under the gun - it appeared that the undercarriage of the gun was making the bullets richochet alot and it seemed to provide an excellent barrier. Prior to my squads getting in close in close to the AA gun I had found it impossible to destroy via small caliber mortar rounds (81mm and smaller). I just put it down as one of those 'corner cases' which doesn't make too much difference to the battle, but in my limited experience they do seem to be harder to kill then AT guns in some instance (this is prior V3.0 as I haven't really played with AA guns).

I do not have a similar experience as the OP. Mine is more like @slysniper's. My AA gun crews die like flies once the return fire starts. I have one game going now where my three Russian 40mm have been reduced to one still operational and one never even fired a shot. The one that is still operational has really only been firing at aircraft because nothing on the ground has LOF against it yet - I expect it to die shortly.

Now, I have had some good experience with a German 20mm behind a sand bag wall lasting quite a while - not really a big surprise though since the crew had good protection and the high ground.

I have had heavy and medium German mortar fire putting craters within nanometers of 37 mm flak Russian guns and they DON'T GET KILLED

In my personal world I treat it as a 'Known Bug' and just use arty to suppress them while I kill them some other way. I flank them with a tank and blow them up point blank sometimes

I have had heavy and medium German mortar fire putting craters within nanometers of 37 mm flak Russian guns and they DON'T GET KILLED.

I've had 150mm shells explode in AS which bracket the location of an ATG, and the crew kept figting. 3 shells one side, 1 the other, IIRC. The tree the ATG was next to was gone (not stripped of foliage, totally eradicated), but the ATG and 2 of its crew were fine.

I've had 81mm mortar bombs land between two members of a scout team, and neither even took a scratch.

It's not something that is peculiar to AAA pieces. Sometimes they just get lucky. I have no idea whether it's realistic or not.

I've had 150mm shells explode in AS which bracket the location of an ATG, and the crew kept figting. 3 shells one side, 1 the other, IIRC. The tree the ATG was next to was gone (not stripped of foliage, totally eradicated), but the ATG and 2 of its crew were fine.

I've had 81mm mortar bombs land between two members of a scout team, and neither even took a scratch.

It's not something that is peculiar to AAA pieces. Sometimes they just get lucky. I have no idea whether it's realistic or not.

I'm going to hazard a guess and say it's not.

I've noticed this situation in the CM:RT map "Assault". My T-34's would go around the hill and be immediately shot to bits by the anti-aircraft gun. Return fire was similarly ineffective and mortars and infantry combined arms always seemed unable to wipe out the last few guys. I'd get the thing suppressed, then a few seconds later I'd send the tanks back around and they'd have their optics blown off by the one remaining crewman. It probably is a bug.

There have been similar problems with AT guns where just a torrent of fire has been falling on the gun and it remains in action, but I feel that the issue is magnified with the AA guns.

• 3 weeks later...

Not to harp on this issue, but- I've just seen the same odd results with a Soviet 37mm AA gun being fired upon. Four 75mm HE direct fire shells hit so close it looked like they were impacting on the gun itself, without knocking it out. It's just hard to believe the gun would still function. No foxhole or trench involved. Sure, outliers happen occasionally, but something doesn't seem right.

Not to harp on this issue, but- I've just seen the same odd results with a Soviet 37mm AA gun being fired upon. Four 75mm HE direct fire shells hit so close it looked like they were impacting on the gun itself, without knocking it out. It's just hard to believe the gun would still function. No foxhole or trench involved. Sure, outliers happen occasionally, but something doesn't seem right.

heh heh I wouldnt happen to be familiar with this situation would i?