Canadians

It is with shame I admit that as a Canadian I have very little knowledge of the Italian Campaign. I am rectifying that with a read of Rick Atkinson's Day of Battle. I will also shamefully admit to sloth, as I have not dug through the scenarios available that involve Canadians. Can anyone point out CMFI scenarios involving Canadians? I'm especially interested in those around Ortona, and I recall ChrisND in a Twitch broadcast mentioning someone working on a Monte Cassino one.

Edit: As I am married to a Kiwi, a similar list of NZ scenarios?

Hey I'm an Aussie that's slow reading all of Mark Zuehlke's books on the Canadian army in WW2. His Italian titles are great for a good read (if a little hard to follow at times) and well worth picking up.

There is a brilliant blank Ortana map around here somewhere but no scenario was made on it as of yet. I've been struggling to find the time to create a bunch of maps for the Moro River Campaign but it's definitely on my to do list.

http://www.thefewgoodmen.com/thefgmforum/threads/moro-river-map-pack.20093/

I will second the Mark Zuehlke books as a great read. I find he seems to have a very good balance between the higher level decision making and the view from the men on the actual front lines. There are plenty of scenario ideas in each book. The titles, if you are looking for them at your local library or online are:

Operation Husky

Ortona

The Liri Valley

The Gothic Line

I will 3rd the Mark Zuehlke books for the four Italian Theatre books. A great blend of first person accounts, regimental histories, and official war docs, etc. I own all of his books...but I think you should start chronologically and get "Dieppe" first, then carry on with the four Italian Theatre books (mentioned above) followed by the Juno Beach and Normandy books. His last works deal with the Canadians in Belgium/Netherlands/Germany, and I expect he will release a book about Hong Kong in the future. Happy reading!!!

There are two scenarios shipped with the Gustav Line Module: "Lost"- about the Hasty P's and "Winter of our discontent"- a battle around the Moro river outside of Ortona. These are the only Canadian scenarios I know about.

There is also a campaign in the respository called "Welcome to Sicily" where you command a mixed force of British and Canadians.

For the NZ forces there is one called "Kiwi Soldiers".

There are two scenarios shipped with the Gustav Line Module: "Lost"- about the Hasty P's and "Winter of our discontent"- a battle around the Moro river outside of Ortona. These are the only Canadian scenarios I know about.

There is also a campaign in the respository called "Welcome to Sicily" where you command a mixed force of British and Canadians.

For the NZ forces there is one called "Kiwi Soldiers".

Many thanks.

dutchman55555,

You might like this. A regular Ortona fest! The type is tiny, a condition worsened by a pretty dark background, but the site is positively awash with Canadian grog goodness. Juicy text, maps, an aerial photo and lots of pics shot on the ground, too.

http://www.canadaatwar.ca/page44.html

If you can find a copy of CMx1 CMAK, a no longer with us member created an op campaign called Little Stalingrad which had no less than 20 battles. An immense amount of work went into this, and I'd imagine the force lists would be quite helpful, as would the actual tactical situations.

http://w.combatmission.com/community/showthread.php?p=1364293

Regards,

John Kettler