Best way to use armored reconaissance?

I understand that armored reconnaissance works much differently in reality, but in terms of this tactical space what is the best way to utilize it?

Obviously infantry would be a better way but in the case of some scenarios where you have only armored recce and no infantry (At least in the beginning) what is the best way to employ it?

Thanks.

Slowly, hull down, covered approaches.

And then that's about the time mine explode from something that saw them first.

I've found it much more difficult and deadly to recon with vehicles than with infantry that can stay undetected a little better.

Difficult one to be honest because there aren't too many scenarios that deal with typical recce taskings. I tend to use mine counter-intuitively by keeping them back and using them to mop up infantry or as infantry fire support platforms. I also often use them as a handy reserve because they do have mobility and firepower so they can change a situation that is going south fast.

I have been meaning to try and use the 'Bail Out' order for an armored unit (armored car or even a tank) to use it as foot recon unit. Then when completing the recon scramble back to the armored vehicle and mount up again. This can be done in CM if I am not mistaken?

I have read this happing countless times in various books like Panzer Ace's, I assume it is feasible in CM no? Not sure you would use this often in CM, but I am more just curious if one can do it.

I have been meaning to try and use the 'Bail Out' order for an armored unit (armored car or even a tank) to use it as foot recon unit. Then when completing the recon scramble back to the armored vehicle and mount up again. This can be done in CM if I am not mistaken?

Yep. I use recon vehicles this way routinely. Zip forward as far as I dare. park vehicle in defilade and advance crew as a forward OP/LP. Works brilliantly.

Yep. I use recon vehicles this way routinely. Zip forward as far as I dare. park vehicle in defilade and advance crew as a forward OP/LP. Works brilliantly.

Aye. I do the same. Works we'll..

Until the crew meet some sneaky Russians in the wood... :D

Recon by fire. If it looks suspicious shoot it. If looks good to eat shoot it. If you think there is something on 2 or all 4s hiding in or behind something shoot it. Armored vechicles have plenty of MG ammo and usually enough HE to conduct generous recon by fire missions.

In the scale of CM you're not going to gain much if anything trying to sneak around with vechicles.

It used to be that scenarios were at the tail end of where roving recon could be much use. You already knew the enemy was 'somewhere' close by. Its not going to be much of a surprise when you stumble over them. That held true until the maps started expanding. Now you may need to cover 1-2km before finally locating the enemy. So zipping ACs from one observation point to another takes on new importance. I'm reminded of when Patton's forward elements had lost contact with the enemy in France. He turned to an aide and said 'Take that jeep and drive down that road til someone shoots you then report back', or words to that effect. :)

It used to be that scenarios were at the tail end of where roving recon could be much use. You already knew the enemy was 'somewhere' close by. Its not going to be much of a surprise when you stumble over them. That held true until the maps started expanding. Now you may need to cover 1-2km before finally locating the enemy. So zipping ACs from one observation point to another takes on new importance. I'm reminded of when Patton's forward elements had lost contact with the enemy in France. He turned to an aide and said 'Take that jeep and drive down that road til someone shoots you then report back', or words to that effect. :)

Good advice in these posts.

Related to maps expanding I learned plenty in GeorgeMC's NATO TV 98-5 Steelers CMSF. Map Size: 2.7 x 2.9Km! Of course this is modern armored reconnaissance but the principles apply I would think.

"...A scout platform requires a balance of survivability, lethality, mobility, sustainability, and stealth. To function as heavy mechanized scout requires even greater survivability. You are often looking for other tanks / ATGMs that can destroy your before you spot them. If you don't survive contact with the enemy you fail to provide reconnaissance.

Ask yourself how your Bradley's will fair in encounters with hostile forces BIG Tanks, BMPs, ATGMs, IEDs/mines or infantry ambush … without M1 overwatch. Not very well or long. Since you have limited Bradley's / mechanized infantry scouts, make sure they are always under M1 overwatch.

With limited heavy reconnaissance assets or mechanized infantry, tank platoons can and do assume the role of scouts. Don't bunch up your armor. Target arc suspect target areas and Thunder Roll! M1s can move pretty darn fast from hull down to hull down spots you have reviewed a ground level 1...."

Surveying the map from ground level 1 before you start is the best way to spot where you can move with the shortest exposure to enemy armor.

Don't be afraid to restart ;)

Happy 4th:D