CMSF - Twilight 2000

Not sure if anyone really frequents the CMSF scenario board, so I'll dump some of this here.

Soon to release, the CMSF Twilight 2000 campaign. Includes a campaign composed of a dozen scenarios following the remnants of a group of Rangers from the 75th. Following a limited ICBM exchange, the world is in flames and chaos reigns. Lead the Rangers of B-troop out of Junction City's center, down scenic interstate 70, and across the rolling plains of eastern Kansas. Bring your NBC suit.

Here are a few images from the .brz packed with the campaign:

3NLvrxR.png

khzPwtA.png

BbU8qBp.png

OifdiC8.png

And a link to a YouTube preview, such as it is:

Coming soon...

Never played Last Battle. Streamlined vehicle combat, yeah?

I always loved T2k, despite its ponderous mechanics. Our gaming circle viewed it as the spiritual RPG successor to ASL. In some ways, its armor penetration rules were a precursor to CM. The first time we calculated the results of a tank shell penetration on a BMP, our heads swam. Trajectory, altitude, slope, thickness... all there. Then tracing it through the hull to determine each internal component and its placement related to the shell's travel. A half hour process. Some found it laborious, we found it magical.

Ah the salad days of pen and paper.

First, awesome, can't wait to play the campaign.

Second - Twilight 2000.... I loved it. Combat was marvelously detailed, but what really got me was that "real life" was covered in almost as much detail. Want to make a potato still to raise morale / cash / use it for fuel? There were *multiple* descriptions of different methods for it. Also the mercenary expansions were fun.

The PC game was actually pretty great. Hard as heck, but the character creation system alone was worth the price of entry.

First, awesome, can't wait to play the campaign.

Second - Twilight 2000.... I loved it. Combat was marvelously detailed, but what really got me was that "real life" was covered in almost as much detail. Want to make a potato still to raise morale / cash / use it for fuel? There were *multiple* descriptions of different methods for it. Also the mercenary expansions were fun.

The PC game was actually pretty great. Hard as heck, but the character creation system alone was worth the price of entry.

Re: love for Twilight 2000. I wasted countless hours tooling scenarios, doing artwork, and playing the darned thing. Back then, it seemed the problem was finding like-minded masochists who enjoyed the number crunching involved. We even developed tables for gathering spent brass after firefights. Good times.

And for characters, a still was just a must. No still, no biodiesel. Ultimately, everyone seemed to wind up on horseback.

I never tried the PC game, but it still has a following of sorts so the magic must have transferred to a degree.

• 3 weeks later...

Sadly, yes. The 'Marines ' module is required for proper implementation. I uploaded to the marines section of the repository, though it now occurs to me that I didn't specify that requirement in the description. My apologies to you and any others that might be inconvenienced by this. :(

I have played through the first two campaign missions. I will try to minimize spoilers.

First off, the two scenarios so far do capture the grittiness that one would expect in playing a post nuclear survival game that was the focus of Twilight 2000.

As expected for such a grim setting, personnel and equipment is in short demand. That means minimizing your casualties and watch your ammunition usage because replacements of both will be in short demand.

Read your mission objectives because you will live or die by them. Unlike most missions, the name of the game is not to kill the enemy (that I noticed so far), so stay on mission and only engage those forces directly in the way or in the area of your objectives.

Scenario 1 - Civil Unrest. Basically, it is get the hell out of Dodge. Move along covered approaches, support moving forces with fire and keep your engagements short and brutal. Watch your mission objectives and keep moving.

The balance of forces is good. You are outnumbered by a large margin but your forces as very good and the enemy is mediocre, so you will dominate firefights as long as you concentrate your forces and brutally shoot up enemy forces in your way. I really enjoyed this one.

Scenario 2 - Open Road. This is a really interesting scenario as it is along a stretch of highway with long fields of fire and you are the one that has to cross the map. Again, the quality of your troops will play well for you as the enemy is less capable but they are legion, so watch the fire rate of your forces as this scenario does have the real possibility of depleting your ammo reserves if you get caught up with long range plinking at the enemy. Again, I found this scenario enjoyable.

So far, I have taken no losses but my main concern is ammo supply as I got carried away a bit in shooting up the bad guys in scenario 2 and so far at the start of scenario three, the ammo doesn't look good. This should make scenario three a nail biter.

So far, I give the campaign two thumbs. It does capture beautifully the nature of a post nuclear war survival situation (as much as you can simulate such with CMSF). Kudos to Clubfoot and my sincere thanks for this wonderful campaign.

Glad to hear it. Luckily, by the time you start trading swats with the rogue members of the former 4ID, caches liberated from them will alleviate the ammo paucity. To some degree, at least.

I'm glad you're diggin' it, and very interested to hear of your continued travels with B-Troop. Rangers lead the way.

Skwabie: welcome! Hope you enjoy it.

Agusto: more or less, yes. The enemy is a rogue element of the 4ID and the gun toting local irregulars they've pressed into service. Would've loved to have done voice files and peckerwood skins for the militia types, but between work, kids, and the arrival of CMRT, I ran out of steam and uploaded.