The AI is brutal: need some real world tactics

apoll

Hi all. I posted a while ago looking for some help re which controls to use, and some stuff about radio coms. The community was great; gave me, a newby, good advice and many people chipped in.

I have to say that I'm getting to grips with the game mechanics, and one thing I have learnt the hard way is to pay real close attention to the lay of the land. What is dead ground and what is not. And to micro manage what my units are doing, getting down view wise to their level. A case in point, when it all goes to clag, was when I moved a mech inf platoon into some dead ground to form up for an assault. Except it wasn't totally dead ground; the AI was brutal. I lost half track after half track, and my attack turned into a route even before anyone had crossed the LD. I was slaughtered by guns I could not locate, because no one had eyes on. Good lesson.

The other thing I'm realising is that one can't rush this, or get impatient. Careful scouting and preparation of the battle field is definitely needed. Finally, the thing that strikes me is that the AI is such (I saw it wheeling guns around the place to take advantage of my positions!), that I need to employ real world tactics in this game...or at least, it will reward such realism. I keep getting my backside handed to me, but I am learning.

Any good guides, or you tube vids on how to play well, out there?

Apoll

Watching some of the AARs will give you a good grounding in some basic tactics.

But as a rough guide:

1. Scout with a screen of squads or half squads (across the entire map if you have enough troops). 3 man recon squads are even better. You want to make contact with the enemy with the smallest unit possible.

2. You mostly want to use "hunt" when scouting. Sometimes you want to put a covered arc on your scouts so they don't open up at long range on whatever they discover. (Although it's my subjective impression that the tac ai is better at not doing this than it used to be).

3. When your scouts discover enemy units that you want to deal with, maneuver appropriate forces behind your squad screen to do so. I.e., if you find an AT guy, send mortars; if you find flak or an infantry concentration, send armor; if you find armor, look for an opportunity for a flank shot from another position across the map.

This is just an outline, and there are exceptions to most of these rules and crucial refinements to all of them. But it's a solid basic approach.

...Finally, the thing that strikes me is that the AI is such (I saw it wheeling guns around the place to take advantage of my positions...Apoll

Funny You should mention. If this is happening in a QB Game (and I have seen it already. too) then it's actually something I will be reporting to BFC. The QB AI plans do have Movement by time and trigger. But when I make the AI defender setup/pathing plans I do so with overwatch in mind. I want the inf arty/AT/AA do stay immobile while other units (including their support teams) counter attack towards the objectives.

Welcome to the game.

In many ways it is great to hear you describe the AI as "brutal"! The scripting finally gives the scenario builders a (better) chance to put some teeth in the AI.

Lot of good advice in the previous posts.

One of the issues I had to come to grips with when I started was "timing", I still grapple with it. You do not have to finish a 60 minute scenario in 20 minutes! Many games have a fast pace and coming to this series you need to adjust to a more "thoughtful" pace. At times quick action is required, but a lot of the recon stage is gaining information and acquiring good jump off spots, then building your fires etc. Sometime a "charge of the light brigade" can be a winner, but more often than not you will get your butt handed to you.

Enjoy the learning process, you don't really stop in this series, it is what makes it so compelling at times!

Some of the things I learned and correct me if I'm mistaken...

I sometimes get the temptation to position support weapons like AT guns, MG and tanks to maximize their long distance capabilities and ability to cover a wide area. That often is a mistake. A smart player will do a through terrain analysis to deduct likely hiding places.

Its often better to place these weapons where they can ambush an advancing opponent. This may mean giving up the long range fire capability and and ability to cover a wide area-you may only be covering a short distance and small area, but anything that comes into this area will be eviscerated.

Being on the attack doesn't always mean you have to advance and be on the attack. Ambush is often the best offensive tactic and if you can maneuver in such a way to compel your opponent to put himself in a position to get ambushed is always a good thing.

No matter how small or large the force always maintain a reserve.

I have to say that I'm getting to grips with the game mechanics, and one thing I have learnt the hard way is to pay real close attention to the lay of the land. What is dead ground and what is not. And to micro manage what my units are doing, getting down view wise to their level. A case in point, when it all goes to clag, was when I moved a mech inf platoon into some dead ground to form up for an assault. Except it wasn't totally dead ground; the AI was brutal. I lost half track after half track, and my attack turned into a route even before anyone had crossed the LD. I was slaughtered by guns I could not locate, because no one had eyes on. Good lesson.

\

Apoll

Get the grid line mod. It really highlights the contours.