Should CMSF be free?

I think CMSF should be made free (without modules).

Let's face it, we all have it, if there is a fervent wargamer who doesn't have it, he simply won't buy it for some individual reasons.

That leaves the crowds that don't play battlefront games because they don't identify them self as wargamers, maybe, because they never tried out a CMx2 game.

BUT people love free games. I bet there are players who simply won't download a demo, but would try out a full free game. If they fall in love, well, they may be potential customers for CMSF modules and other CMx2 games. If not, they will probably uninstall CMSF after couple of hours anyway.

Now, if a CMSF is still a good seller for battlefront, and there is no way i would know, this would be obviously counterproductive. But if not, why not use CMSF for marketing purposes?

...worst thing that may happen, forum may get flooded for a week or two with kids who don't like the game and go through the notions of registration just to inform us of this fact.

Kulik

I've seen a boxes version by Paradox for $1.99 at used book stores and I'm sure you could do a google search and find it. Don't know about how you would upgrade and patch it. IIRC you could purchase some patch from BF for $10, but don't know if that's still an option.

The Demo with aaaaall those modules scenarios is indeed free. And its frankly more game than most full games out there.

Making it substantially cheaper could make a difference.

Shock force and Marine bundle is only $25 bucks. That's about the price of a t-shirt at an upscale mall.

First off, I'm happy with every penny I have spent on CMSF and it's modules. I've sunk hundreds of hours into and haven't come close to playing all the scenarios and campaigns out there.

My idea that will never happen: I think they should use it as an experiment with selling on Steam. See if there is any interest for such a game in the wider gaming community. The game with all the modules for $30. I know that's huge drop in price, but we are talking about a game that's almost 7 years old, and you aren't going to attract anyone outside the hardcore wargaming market with a $50+ price tag on something that old, with so-so graphics to start with. Literally millions of people browse the catalog on Steam every day, some of them are bound to be curious and pick it up.

My question is how many true long term customers would being on Steam attract? There are over 288 million untouched games bought by Steam users according to PC gamer. I own quite a few that i don't have a minute playing. Sales on steam wouldn't necessarily mean a good thing for BFC.

kulik,

You may be interested to know that BFC is STILL selling CMBO, the CMx1 game which started it all, for $15. Digital download only. Was $45 as a physical product when released in 2001!

http://www.battlefront.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=60&Itemid=100

I seriously doubt (at, say, 12 Sigma level of confidence) BFC would ever give away one of its games. A demo? Sure. But a complete game? Nyet!

Regards,

John Kettler

kulik,

You may be interested to know that BFC is STILL selling CMBO, the CMx1 game which started it all, for $15. Digital download only. Was $45 as a physical product when released in 2001!

http://www.battlefront.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=60&Itemid=100

I seriously doubt (at, say, 12 Sigma level of confidence) BFC would ever give away one of its games. A demo? Sure. But a complete game? Nyet!

Regards,

John Kettler

They are still selling it,true, the question is, are people still buying it?

Mind you, I'am a working man, I strongly believe that people should get paid for the work they do and for product they create.

I'm talking hypothetically, if your products doesn't sell anymore, why not use it to promote other product of yours, or expand a niche market?

I agree that this may create a precedence and people may hope that one day other CM games may be free and cease to buy them, but i find this very unlikely.

I think CMSF should be made free.

Man i wouldn't sweat it... different companies probably have different ways. and tbh i haven't seen many companies do this. The ones I've seen are defunct studios offering their past product or source code for free... even that's somewhat rare.

I do, is the fact that someone proposes something that doesn't yield him an immediate personal gain that unbelievable?

Lets turn it around, doesnt it happen very often that people propose exactely what gives an immidiate personal gain? In my experience this happens often enough to justify questioning your motives. But lets forget this.

Lets turn it around, doesnt it happen very often that people propose exactely what gives an immidiate personal gain? In my experience this happens often enough to justify questioning your motives. But lets forget this.

Fair enough. :)

To sum it up, it always was, is and will be on battlefront to set their policies. I hadn't hoped to achieve something concrete with this thread, I was merely expressing my opinion on how to get some additional value out of CMSF by promoting other CMx2 games, expanding the market and bring in more customers.