Grenade!

Wow. Since there are pics, it obviously did happen, but I thought (to make things a bit less challenging for the TacAI) BFC had confirmed that teams are "immune" to their own HE. If that's changed, it might explain a dead MG42er I've just found, who when last spotted was trying to throw a grenade all the way through a house to reach the back garden hedge... technically in range, but a touch optimistic. I'd thought the scream I heard just after the grenade explosion must've been from another team that had been mostly killed in place - a Cowerer that I'd not had a spot on. Maybe it was the optimistic grenadier suffering from a bounce off the kitchen doorpost...?

Wow. Since there are pics, it obviously did happen, but I thought (to make things a bit less challenging for the TacAI) BFC had confirmed that teams are "immune" to their own HE...

I thought everything from .50 cal and up could ( and does ) cause friendly casualties.

Anyway, I've also seen an example of this recently. German AT team KO'd one of my tanks and then ( out of fausts ) decided to grenade the tank next to it.

As the guy pulled his arm back to throw, the tank killed him with its coax and the grenade fell behind him where it took out his buddy. Good times.

IIRC, and even if I do things might have changed, but grenades only kill friendlies in the situation shown in the vid. Rifle grenades and rockets on the other hand do cause friendly casualties, unless things have changed. Satchel charges I dont know.

That's a good point, cool breeze. Satchel charges don't harm your mates when used normally/properly, but I've never seen one fall out of a shot pixeltruppen, so don't know if they will harm friendliest or not in that situation. But grenades...hmmm, I don't think I've ever seen a properly thrown one one land near enough to a friendly to harm him, so I don't know if they will in that situation.

.. but grenades only kill friendlies in the situation shown in the vid. ...

Not sure what other situation there could be mate - ie. grenade lands danger close = chance of friendly casualty.

It's been this way as long as I can remember - I had an incident back in early days of CMBN ( might have been 1.10 ) where one of my german troops threw a grenade and it hit a tree trunk which was in the bocage and bounced back, taking him out ( might have been another casualty as well. )

Not sure what other situation there could be mate - ie. grenade lands danger close = chance of friendly casualty.

It's been this way as long as I can remember - I had an incident back in early days of CMBN ( might have been 1.10 ) where one of my german troops threw a grenade and it hit a tree trunk which was in the bocage and bounced back, taking him out ( might have been another casualty as well. )

I thought that a normaly thrown grenade wouldnt cause friendly casuaties, even if landing right next to friendlies in of another squad. I'm thinking mainly about CMSF. But when grenades were going off you often still got the casualties, because rifle grenades and sometimes rockets would be in the mix. Havent really noticed in CMx2 WW2 maybe its all the fullpower rifles, or Im just playing more cautiously. But your experience with a tree bounce makes me wonder if things might have changed, or maybe tree bounces are the second exception, or they only cause friendly fire to the squad that threw it, or I've just been wrong all along.

I thought that a normaly thrown grenade wouldnt cause friendly casuaties, even if landing right next to friendlies in of another squad. I'm thinking mainly about CMSF. But when grenades were going off you often still got the casualties, because rifle grenades and sometimes rockets would be in the mix. Havent really noticed in CMx2 WW2 maybe its all the fullpower rifles, or Im just playing more cautiously. But your experience with a tree bounce makes me wonder if things might have changed, or maybe tree bounces are the second exception, or they only cause friendly fire to the squad that threw it, or I've just been wrong all along.

To be clear, the postion I thought had been outlined by BFC wasn't that infantry HE didn't cause friendly casuaties, only that it didn't cause casualties to the specific element that chucked or fired it. It's also been shown before that if a thrower is made a casualty while chucking a grenade that the grenade can cause injury to the thrower's element; it's only a "normal" throw that didn't, AIUI, consider the damage that a grenade might inflict on the throwing team. That invulnerability certainly doesn't seem to apply any more. I wonder if it got changed with the changes that allowed the firing of zook/shreck/faust indoors.

Thanks for checking out the vid, guys!

Yeah, I've seen this before, but never caught such good video fodder for it. I think it's great the way BF has coded things. It seems very realistic and adds one more juicy random element to the CM battlefield.

Boy, I was lucky on that one, too! I scouted the bocage area before advancing, but those guys were hiding in a spot my scouts missed. Here's what was on the other side:

13179536693_4e46c3764e_o.jpg

The group on the right would have been the recipients of the "hot potato." In the background, you can see where I was creating a breach to flank (but I had no idea these guys were there!).

Macisle,

True story. When brother George was in Basic at Ft. Benning, Georgia it was hot, humid and the soldiers weren't paying much attention to the NCO grenade instructor. Until he took off his shirt and revealed a veritable sea of scars covering his torso and back! Seems a few years ago a recruit botched a live grenade throw, whereupon the NCO yanked him down and covered him. After that, recruit focus was remarkable--all to avoid things like this. Some are from combat.

Regards,

John Kettler