2 Questions - Ammo Dumps/Manual

1. If ammo dumps now allow acquire by an adjacent unit, will trucks now also allow units to acquire when adjacent and not inside?

I always thought it was a little gamey to always have to load your troops and then next turn acquire the ammo and then the get out of the truck. I would love to see an ability to acquire from the same or adjacent action squares.

2. Is it usually the release of the manual that indicates that the game is about to be released? I have not seen the manual put up on the website so I take that as an indication that it will not be released for at least another 2 weeks. I have a feeling that they are still tweaking somethings so the manual may change between now and release date. Any thoughts?

I am still hoping for one or two surprises yet that will thrill us again. I think RT looks great and improvements are noticeable. Knocking off another few items on our wish list will just be icing.

Having to load troops onto a truck, tell them to acquire the ammo, then dismount them again, may be irritating and fiddly -- but think about the time scale of CM and it's clear that even several turns means unloading ammo from the truck within 2 or 3 minutes. That's breakneck speed in real life. Making it faster or instantaneous would be *more* gamey, not less. I could appreciate making it a simpler process for the player, though, even if it imposes the same time requirement as now.

As long as a couple of them take smoke breaks while they are doing it otherwise it isn't really realistic imo.

;)

Lol, I'm still waiting for that animation. Oh, you all know you want it too.:D

A toggle maybe, that would only work, say, 100 yards and out of the enemy's sight. I predict it will be an Easter Egg in CMx5.

We based the unloading speed on a historical US standard. I mean, how long do you think it takes to unload a bunch of pieces of paper with "M & M Enterprises" printed on them?

:)

The serious answer is that Acquiring requires both parties to be stationary while the transaction happens. It gets very complicated trying to keep the vehicles "still" while Acquiring is underway. The easiest way to enforce a reasonable penalty for unloading is, therefore, getting in and out of the vehicle since one can not do that if the vehicle is moving.

Steve

Yes, a grizzled vet with 5 o'clock shadow and a cigarette hanging from his lower lip. Now that you think of it what about a pipe for the Brits?

I am sure there are some pipe grogs around here. I think this is the correct demographic.

I might be one of those - but I´m not sure about the brits.

I used to smoke pipe until I quit eight years ago. When I went to Britain I always brought a stock of my usual tobacco brand along - as I had a hard time finding any pipe tobacco at all in Britain. And the little I could find tasted horrible - in my opinion. I think the name of the english brand that I usually had to settle for was: Three Nuns.

The strange thing was that my favorite "danish" pipe tobacco, Capstan, was made in....Liverpool

We based the unloading speed on a historical US standard. I mean, how long do you think it takes to unload a bunch of pieces of paper with "M & M Enterprises" printed on them?

:)

The serious answer is that Acquiring requires both parties to be stationary while the transaction happens. It gets very complicated trying to keep the vehicles "still" while Acquiring is underway. The easiest way to enforce a reasonable penalty for unloading is, therefore, getting in and out of the vehicle since one can not do that if the vehicle is moving.

Steve

Somebody reading the War in the Pacific AAR with Capt Mandrake and Rear Admiral Sprior?

I still smoke a pipe on occasion (once a year) and I usually go to one of the specialty stores for my tobacco as as after a year it would taste like crap.

Its one of those dying trades, like fedoras and false teeth. No one of my generation uses either (and I am in my 40s) and I and a friend are the only ones that puff on a pipe occasionally (not that I am advocating fedoras or false teeth, I am not a Alabama hipster)

...Three Nuns...Capstan...

I'm pretty sure I smoked both of those along with many others in my day. I smoked pipes sporadically from 1963 to about 2004. Mostly English brands or English type blends. Just about any kind of tobacco except the artificially sweetened kind. Dozens of brands and blends. I loved it except for when it came time to clean my pipes. God, that stank! I think that's what finally drove me away from the hobby, but I guess it has gotten harder to obtain good quality tobacco at anything short of a king's ransom.

Michael

exactly.

Its like cigarettes, I cannot stand the smell anymore unless it is Drum and then only in passing. I used to smoke cigarettes for a while ($1 in Japan and 25cents in China), but got back to Canada and they were $7 a pack. Said no thanks and quit. They are now $14/pack (That is a Canadian pack with 25 cigarettes in it) and now the smell drives me nuts. Nothing worse than a reformed smoker.

Pipes though still hold a fascination. I get dispensation from my wife once a year (but only if out on the deck).

My Friend bought me a Cuban cigar and then a week later my brother-in-law bought me another. I am waiting for Spring to come so I can give them a try. Nice weather, some scotch and these cigars should make for a pleasant evening.

Umlaut,

for some reason, I keep telling my wife I want to retire to Denmark. The weather I hear is nicer than here in Canada but she just laughs.

My Friend bought me a Cuban cigar and then a week later my brother-in-law bought me another. I am waiting for Spring to come so I can give them a try. Nice weather, some scotch and these cigars should make for a pleasant evening.

Umlaut,

for some reason, I keep telling my wife I want to retire to Denmark. The weather I hear is nicer than here in Canada but she just laughs.

Better take care of them properly or they will dry out in a few weeks.

We don't get Cubans in the USA.

Umlaut,

She married you for your sense of humour, right? ;)

In my opinion, there are many good reasons to come to Denmark. One could be that the pipe tobacco is relatively cheap (at least back when I quit)

- but don´t think I´ve ever heard any foreigner prefer danish weather to their own (a scotsman might, but then they´ve got that nice golden medicine that makes you give a rat´s fart about the weather)

Lt Belenko

Yes, I think I may have to find a humidor as my back yard wll not be in ready shape for about 2 months. Too much mud and snow still. But soon.

Umlaut

It was a balmy -52C here the other day (with wind) and my wife and I loved The Bridge and Smilla's Sense of Snow so ... Actually, I think you may have nicer weather in the winter than here. I have heard that Tromso in Norway has nicer weather than here in Winter and that is above the Arctic circle. The summers here though are absolutely lovely so maybe summer in Saskatoon, Canada and winter in Denmark. in 20 years when I retire, all the CMs will be released and I will just need a nice computer and a good cup of coffee.

...Smilla's Sense of Snow...

Wow, I can't think how long it has been since I heard someone refer to that story. I read it when it came out, twenty-some years ago, and loved the first half to two-thirds. But then it veered off into the hunt for the meteor and the whole sense of it went south. Too bad.

The summers here though are absolutely lovely so maybe summer in Saskatoon, Canada and winter in Denmark.

Or maybe winters in Jamaica. I hear they make decent rum and you should be able to get Cuban cigars there. Plus they speak English...of a sort.

Michael