I got it! I got it! Guess What I'm Downloading NOW!

PS for finding opponents check out 'The Blitz' and 'The Few Good Men'. You can either join a ladder or post threads on either website searching for a game. Otherwise PM me if you'd like one.

For tutorials check out The Armchair Generals tutorials on YouTube. They are superbly made and very informative

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The brilliant people at Google have been quoted. "In a decade or 2 there will be robots/androids more intelligent than humans". Until that time arrives the best AI is another human in h2h play.

At least with the internet its a lot easier that the old play by snail mail that was the norm back in the board game days.

As for the Google prediction-I'm not holding my breath. I can also remember the time when the best and brightest predicted by 2000 we would be putting around in flying cars like the Jetsons.

Then there was Soylent Green and The Omega Man where your opponent for a game of chess was a wooden head....

Awesome. Thank you! I am getting Devil's Descent, just in case I purchase CMBN. I will at least play the demo tonight to see what I think of the system. I may just pre-order Red Thunder so I have the latest game and engine.

The learning curve is steep. That's to be expected in a powerful system like this. If you have any penchant for tactical wargaming, this should do it.

Good to know. I played the demo a little bit last night. It's very awesome, but fairly obtuse right now for me. I wish the demo included a real tutorial. The beginner scenario is small, but it does not tell you anything about how to play, and there are no tooltips in the game. Yikes!

But, the inclusion of the manual helps. Now, I can't decide what game to buy, CMBN or Red Thunder. It is kind of strange that CMBN costs more than the brand new Red Thunder, but that is their pricing model. It doesn't look like I can purchase just CMBN with the latest engine without any add-ons. The cheapest I saw was $95 for everything.

FroBodine,

As mentioned earlier a 3.0 upgrade for CMBN will be released around 2 months after the release of CMRT. It will probably be 10$ so total of 55$ including basegame and 2.0 upgrade. Same as pre-order for CMRT.

FroBodine,

As mentioned earlier a 3.0 upgrade for CMBN will be released around 2 months after the release of CMRT. It will probably be 10$ so total of 55$ including basegame and 2.0 upgrade. Same as pre-order for CMRT.

Do you think you will have to pay for V2 and V3 upgrades, more likely a cheaper package to take you straight to V3

...I wish the demo included a real tutorial. The beginner scenario is small, but it does not tell you anything about how to play, and there are no tooltips in the game. Yikes!

Here is a link to a great tutorial. It is for the earliest version, I believe, so some things may change in version 2+ (and maybe 1.10). However, most info is still valid. If you click "Show more" in the "About" tab, there is an extensive table of contents with links to each spot in the video.

As far as what to buy... That's a tough one. On the one hand, with CMRT, you're getting the latest engine and the "hot" title. On the other hand, that's a few weeks off still and with the full CMBN bundle, you're getting tons of equipment (much more than will be in the initial release of CMRT), content, and maps. Plus, as others have said, you'll be able to upgrade the CMBN engine to be current with what CMRT has in a couple of months for only $10 more.

Honestly, if you've got the cash, I'd say buy the full CMBN bundle now and then get CMRT when it comes out. But of course, the best thing to do is spend some time with the demo first. The CMFI demo may be more current engine-wise than the BN demo. I'm not sure.

I think the CMBN demo is pre-MG tweaking. MGs were dialed way up in effectiveness in recent patches of version 2. That will require an adjustment in play later if you get used to the way they are in an early version now.

Anyhoo, take a look at the tutorial (may be a spoiler though) and see what you think.

Welcome to the best game there is!

Indeed. Nice tutorial link @Mascisle good to file away. @FroBodine once you have the game and learned the mechanics of the game part getting better at beating up on opponents or the AI is even more challenging - but in a good way - as in its fun to get better at playing.

Once you have played a bit and are comfortable with the game controls, camera etc. Check out these.

Series of tactic discussion using CM from the Arm Chair General:

http://www.armchairgeneral.com/combat-mission-battle-for-normandy-tactics-a-video-series

And one of the regular posters here has an excellent tactics blog which includes CM exercises and playable scenarios. Very cool:

http://battledrill.blogspot.ca/

Here is a link to a great tutorial. It is for the earliest version, I believe, so some things may change in version 2+ (and maybe 1.10).

I was going to post the same link. It's an excellent tutorial for beginners to CMBN and it got me over the initial hurdle. It would be worth BF putting a link to it in their "thanks for your purchase" email, and/or as a link in a readme file in the demo download.

CMRT may constitute a wait and buy scenario. They've added a lot of new stuff. It's easy to predict that a patch or two will be necessary to get it running like a Ferrari. Flamethrowers, or tank riders alone, as Vanir pointed out, make the game a significant expansion. The're getting ready to implement an Ambush routine (update#1?) which could modify the balance of power between attacker and defender in favor of the latter.

The're getting ready to implement an Ambush routine (update#1?) which could modify the balance of power between attacker and defender in favor of the latter.

Is it really necessary when we have target arc? I don't want to see preemptive shooting at EVERY building and bush on the map. It is gamey. Besides causualties are already certain when you stumble upon hidden enemy.

Is it really necessary when we have target arc? I don't want to see preemptive shooting at EVERY building and bush on the map. It is gamey. Besides causualties are already certain when you stumble upon hidden enemy.

But as it stands, target arc and hide combined doesn't work well.

And target arc without hide quite often (IME) leads to early discovery and contact without return fire (because of the arc)