I got it! I got it! Guess What I'm Downloading NOW!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

....the latest updates for my roku3.

April Fools is 26 days early this year!:P

You bastidje, you made me look at the announcement section!

But talking about the release of the real deal.. six weeks have gone since the first pre order announcement on thursday next week (the 13:th). Will it be ready by then or will it drag on further into March? IIRC late March was mentioned..

Time to let the monkeys loose next week or not?

When is this really coming out? Is it normal for this company to open pre-orders for a game, and not give us a release date? That does not seem like excellent customer service.

Its usually 4-6 weeks after the announcement of the preorder opening. BFC dont give a exact date as they just dont know when it will be done (potential bugs can apear in the end process). Its released when its done, that if anything is excellent customer service. In addition to that, if you have a problem with not knowing, dont pre order. Put in your order when its released instead.

I completely agree that it should be release when it's done. I'm all for that. My beef is that if you put an item up for pre-order, you should give an estimated release date. However, if they always get their games done in 4-6 weeks then that's good enough.

I am new to this company, so I don't know their track record. I am very interested in getting started with a Combat Mission game, though. I would really appreciate any advice on what game to get first to start learning and enjoying? I am leaning towards Normandy. How is it nowadays with all the updates? Does it have a good tutorial? Is it using the latest game engine and graphics, decals, UI, etc?

Thank you in advance for any assistance!

I completely agree that it should be release when it's done. I'm all for that. My beef is that if you put an item up for pre-order, you should give an estimated release date. However, if they always get their games done in 4-6 weeks then that's good enough.

I am new to this company, so I don't know their track record. I am very interested in getting started with a Combat Mission game, though. I would really appreciate any advice on what game to get first to start learning and enjoying? I am leaning towards Normandy. How is it nowadays with all the updates? Does it have a good tutorial? Is it using the latest game engine and graphics, decals, UI, etc?

Well, their track record is that they put out their games without any major bugs 99% of the time.

Which is also why they can put up pre-orders before giving out a release date since most of their loyal customers (aka. the ones that will do the bulk of the pre-ordering) already know that when they do this it is going to be released soon™

And that also means it will be released when it's ready©

Hope that helps :D

Why don't you download the demo for either CMBN or CMFI while you are waiting for Red Thunder. It's a good introduction to the games.

Their estimate is 4-6 weeks but it might take longer, no guarantee. But at the same time they have never deviated by much from that estimate. BFC is a small company and have had their problems with big publishers, now they do it on their own and do it right. If you’ll take the word of a stranger on the interwebz I’ll tell you they have a excellent track record and great customer service.

As to what game to start with.. it’s very dependent on the theatre you find most interesting. I’d probably go with your gut feeling (being Normandy).

Normandy was the first CMx2 ww2 game released so there is also plenty of additional content to expand the game with (modules). One module covering Commonwealth and SS forces. And another covering Operation Market Garden.

A module includes scenarios and campaigns focusing on the new forces (formations/vehicles etc) present in the module. In some cases new terrain (like in Market Garden, terrain specific to the Netherlands) is also part of a module.

New engine improvements are often introduced in a new base game (in some cases in modules).

The CMx2 engine is adaptable so that new improvements in new games can be back ported to earlier titles. As an example, the “hit decals” that will be available in CMRT will be able to be used/back ported to CMBN for a small upgrade fee (usually 5-10$ - and thats not for just the hit decals but all the engine improvements in CMRT). This upgrade will probably be available some 2 months after CMRT has been released. The same will be possible for CMFI.

Between this patches are released that fix bugs etc (which are free). Important to note that new improvements are not available in free patches but in upgrades as mentioned above.

I’d download the demos of CMBN and CMFI and try them out.. see what you like.

Here re a couple of threads where various people discuss the release time table including Steve from BFC:

http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=113378

http://www.battlefront.com/community/showthread.php?t=113353

I would really appreciate any advice on what game to get first to start learning and enjoying? I am leaning towards Normandy. How is it nowadays with all the updates?

Those who are familiar with the game series think the whole series is outstanding. But since that is largely a matter of taste and what you are seeking in the gaming world, it is always possible that it won't turn out to be your cup of tea. Best to DL and play both tutorials and see how you feel about them before you spend any money. That's what they are there for.

Does it have a good tutorial?

Feelings are mixed on that subject. The tutorials that come with the game are intended to teach only the basic mechanics: how to move, how to shoot, etc. However, there is considerable community support that fills in the blanks both here on these forums and at other sites including the excellent http://battledrill.blogspot.com/2013/08/combat-mission-tactical-problems-cmtp.html

Is it using the latest game engine and graphics, decals, UI, etc?

Normandy and Italy do not have the v3 game engine yet, but the release of an upgrade is expected within a couple of months, at which time those games will have all the bells and whistles that come with Red Thunder, plus any additional improvements that have been perfected in the meantime.

Michael

That is a very subjective question.

However, that said, bear in mind that there are 2 AI's.

TacAI is what makes all the decisions for your guys based on their orders and the problems they encounter during their WEGO turn ( ie. you've given your orders and then you watch them carry it out - or not ).

TacAI is very good. ( sure, there will be times when you're screaming at your pixeltruppen for doing something completely stupid - but then, take a moment to think of the literally hundreds of times you didn't have to scream at them ;) )

AI opponent is down to the skill of the scenario designer. That can vary, but generally for a new player, it can certainly kick your butt.

As you get better, you may want/need to transition to Head-to-Head play.

Still, you're looking at a game that will keep you engaged for years if tactical wargaming is your bag. :)

My completely subjective opinion, of course.

The quality of the AI in a solo game is probably directly proportional to the scenario designer, some very good and some not so. I suggest if you purchase, play some solo to really learn the commands and operation of the game, then go to head-to-head for the most challenging game play. I don't think that even the most adaptable AI can hold a candle to the unpredictability of the worst human opponent.

If you have a 'theatre' of preference I would go with that. In terms of community produced content CMBN definitely edges it ( including an awesome campaign called Devils Descent) .

Multpilayer is also worth trying (at least that's what keeps me playing). For that I would recommend a brilliant app called Head to Head Helper (H2HH) which removes all the admin for playing turned based multiplayer games.