Line of fire bug?

In a scenario I'm playing I noticed this: a Sherman Firefly of mine is targeting enemy tank. Tank status is Aiming. When I target this enemy tank doing command phase, the LOF line is red. AFAIK this means the game thinks the line to target is clear and my tank can shoot. Even though the building is blocking the view. Is this a bug? I don't know yet whether my tank will shoot or not.

cmbn_212_lof_through_roof_zps48c3c8f6.jpg

IME, you're lucky to get a target line that close to the top of a building. Usually their "hitbox" seems to extend at least a bit above the roofline. I wouldn't expect a postitive outcome from that targeting solution, based on what I've seen before. Maybe you'll be on the serene end of the algorithm, though.

IMO my tank selected the target during previous turn by itself. It was already aiming when I decided to check whether there are trees etc. nearby.

So I don't think I'm lucky if the next shot hits the roof and maybe as result enemy tank spots my tank. I'd rather see my tank hold the fire until it really has clear LOF. Save ammo and stay unspotted.

To me this seems like maybe the hitbox of this building is a bit too small.

LOS is something of a mystery to me. I use the target command to determine if a unit has LOS to target a specific area and it says no LOS, but alas when an enemy unit move to a "no LOS" area it gets targeted.

I also had an situation where my Sherman 76 targeted a MarkIV that was blocked by another Sherman 75. The Sherman 76 rotated the turret and fired. The 76 mm shell went through the Sherman 75s turret killing the loader and continued on to kill the MarkIV.

The Sherman 75 crew panicked and bailed, but rallied quickly and remounted and is still in action. The Sherman 76 has since been destroyed.

Nice pic above the LOS is a pain in the neck but adds to the realism of FOW and the headache of battle. It seems to me the AI knows the perfect spots on the map to get to for great LOS but then at times they do a simple "Russian Human Wave tactic" which usually decimates their units.

Lately my latest tactic is to (I play on turn based mode) put a move order (between moves) where I know an enemy unit is that I want to take out then I click on this move order waypoint and click on "target" then I can see all the areas on the map where I need to get to, to get a shot at this unit/area.

LOS is something of a mystery to me. I use the target command to determine if a unit has LOS to target a specific area and it says no LOS, but alas when an enemy unit move to a "no LOS" area it gets targeted.

That aspect of the mystery is easily explained. The "LOS tool" calculates LOS from the unit's current posture to the ground at the point you're hovering over. So it's entirely possible for either your unit to change posture (if it's infantry) or for something with height to enter the area you "couldn't target", and because of its height, be visible and targettable. Often, though not always, if that's likely to be the case (like just past a crest), the LOS tool will show "Reverse slope - no aim point".

I also had an situation where my Sherman 76 targeted a MarkIV that was blocked by another Sherman 75. The Sherman 76 rotated the turret and fired. The 76 mm shell went through the Sherman 75s turret killing the loader and continued on to kill the MarkIV.

Vehicles get treated specially, IIRC, in order to discourage gamey tank stacks, though I can't recall the specifics. It hadn't occurred to me that crew might get treated like any other friendly that gets in the way of your high calibre munitions... yikes.

• 1 month later...