This Game is Going to Pay for Itself

Hey Womble - I played Rugby Union for years - gave up when we had kids but then went back for three seasons recently but forced to 'retire' again after breaking a rib. Still miss playing - love the game. Personally if you want to talk about 'hard' games Rugby League is I reckon the hardest. Big guys making big hits - nutters!:eek:

Don't know a whole lot about rugby, but it looks like a brutal sport. One thing about American football especially at the pro level is you don't really get a sense of just how huge and how fast players are by watching it on TV. GO to a game and you'll really get a sense of just how fast and how big the players are.

I'm sure many NFL players can sprint faster than most people while wearing full gear. To be hit by some of these gorillas at full speed would be like getting hit by a car.

Like many/most Americans I simply cannot get into soccer. I've tried. The best thing I like about the World Cup is the Women of the World Cup photos-that I can appreciate.

Someone posted the US cable companies are going to start charging by the bandwidth to make up for the lot customers. I'm sure Nexflix and Amazon will simply counter and we'll just go back to the days of getting DVD's via the mail or a combo of downloads and mail.

Someone will come up with something else to counter the cable companies.

To be fair, the average life span of an NFL player is longer than the national average. And concussion symptoms are not an issue unique to football. It's big problem in girls' soccer.

I can't quote the source but the average life span of an NFL player is 55 years old.:eek:

Only beat by Pro wrestling at 50

Steriod use has a lot to do with both.

While many sports fans are certainly out of shape, many others are. It also changes over time. I consider wrestling entertainment, but they are athletes. You don't do those moves without training and physical conditioning.

Some time ago there was debate whether NASCAR drivers were "jocks". Many think they are not athletes. I think they are. Maybe not in the traditional sense, but they do physically excert themselves tremendously in each race.

Apparently not according to the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH)

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/story/2012-05-08/Study-shows-NFL-players-live-longer/54847564/1

I was only aware of the (as found in the comment section of your link)

the North Carolina University study.

Interesting thanks for that.

We are very off topic but... Curlers now there is a group of Uber athletes :D.

And I am sure the collective wargamers here are juggling time between PBEM and running marathons :P.