The Quarry

This is an excellent scenario.

It's large, and there's a lot of clicking required for each move, but I like big scenarios. I'm about half-way through, playing head to head, and it's developed into one of the most chaotic and bloody battles I've ever played. My heart races when I play back each move.

First class !!

• 5 years later...
13 hours ago, benpark said:

I'll never make another balanced scenario for HtH play, so don't worry about it. I'll leave those designs to people that actually play MP.

Bloody hell! Don't let the harsh arbitrary and un backed-up poor criticism of that "player" put you off deigning something in the future. Especially since others have said they enjoyed it. Just put him on your ignore list - I just did...

16 minutes ago, IanL said:

Bloody hell! Don't let the harsh arbitrary and un backed-up poor criticism of that "player" put you off deigning something in the future. Especially since others have said they enjoyed it. <Snip>   

+1  THIS.  @benpark.  The community needs scenario designers and you are one of the best, most knowledgeable designers.  The occasional negative comment when not backed up by thoughtful, constructive criticism should be kept in perspective.  Thank you for your hundreds (maybe thousands?) of hours of great scenario design.      

It says playable from both sides, but certainly not winnable from both sides. Ok you admit it is fictional. There is an awful lot happening for the time limit to be less than 1 and a half hours. It almost like shift select all the units and click past the tracks with no tactical planning expected involved. I don't know if this was better before the update or something in that update broke the scenario. On my 15th try as allies making it past the railroad track even a few feet proves impossible. The British leaders in this battle are almost all in the negative numbers while axis yet again +2 veteran. If not veteran they are all +2 as regular. The sherman IIs are terrible the dust takes over 15 seconds to disappear (recent patch problem?), and by the time the greenhorn British shermans spot a mark iv, it already has a shell on its way down range, toward that sherman. Here is the ending of the first time I played as Axis. Extremely off balanced and can really only be won by the axis side. They have the high ground advantage, terrain advantage, cover advantage, leadership and experience advantages.

quarry.png

That's ancient history now, so I can barely recall making it. As you can see, this post was dead as a door nail (2013) until you dug it up.

I expect I went with the average quality modifiers at that point, especially since it was fictional.

I believe the Allied side has the more of the town for cover- that was to be a leveling factor for balance- again, I find this to be the fundamental issue I have with this method I was attempting.

I've learned a lot since then. Have you worked on your own scenario since?

On 2/22/2019 at 2:22 AM, user1000 said:

Absolutely a terrible scenario design.

I think we should call you "that guy" now.

That guy who digs up a 6 year old post to take a dump on a 6 year old scenario.

By the way, some arguments would be nice. Personally the only big problem I've found is that the scenario's time limit is too short. But that can easily be edited.

Edited by Frenchy56

It's an excellent scenario - I played it twice, first H2H, then against the AI.

I can't remember the precise outcome of the H2H battle, but I remember it was exciting and close. It's an Italy scenario, so as Allies I was aggressive and used weight of numbers. I probably lost (which is not unusual), but I do remember it was very close.

Against the AI (much more recently) it was also fun and exciting, with high casualties, but it wasn't too hard to get a total victory against the AI. I seem to recall it was a real combined arms operation. Using artillery was quite important, and once there were a few gaps in the German line or they were suppressed, there were some blind spots I could push men through.