CMFI Patch 1.12 won't download

Holman

I was able to download and install the patch by temporarily disabling Avast. Now I'm updated to 1.12.

Whether you want to take that potentially dangerous step is up to you.

LOL there is nothing dangerous about stuff from BFC. Disabling your anti-virus software while you download and install something is not going to expose you to any risk - unless you download a bunch of other stuff from questionable sources while you are waiting :eek:

Avast is the number one Anti-Virus worldwide by users. You don't want to get on their bad side.

Well, I don't know about that. Personally, I use Microsoft Security Essentials, which is free, and I haven't had a virus in years, and I spend a lot of time on the internet. But then, I am very careful about what e-mail attachments I click on.

My wife, OTOH, needs more stringent antivirus protection, and she has Norton Antivirus on her laptop. She is much more liberal than I am about clicking on things she probably should not.

Unfortunately for those of you who have "high security" software such as Avast and Norton, and want to play CM, your antivirus software will often flag CMs aggressive DRM scheme as a potential virus.

By "DRM scheme" I mean the CM software looks at your hardware and plants flags in your operating that signal to the CM software whenever you make a "significant" hardware change, prompting you to enter your license code.

I can't blame BFC for having some sort of copy protection in place. After all, they are in the business of selling software.....in their case computer games. The old "is the CD in the drive" copy protection is passé now. Many of us have been dealing with the hassle of copy protection since the old "code wheels" of the prehistoric DOS games.

Long story short, if your antivirus software flags something from BFC as a potential threat, you are probably ok to make an exception.

I managed to download the CMBN patch without problems with Avast, but the CMFI is deemed dangerous and stopped. Granted, I'm no tech-wiz, but I think I put exceptions into Avast correctly, but to no avail.

Now I'm scared to even install CMBN-patch, let alone manage to download for CMFI :(:confused::(

Oh, CM itself is perfectly safe. Both Avast and Norton have been known to suffer from an 'overabundance of caution' when it becomes to CM products. CM doesn't like 3rd parties poking around in their encrypted data while Avast & Norton doesn't like 3rd parties having encrypted data they can't poke around in.

The thing is anti virus software is just like DRM software - it is designed to stop you from doing stuff. That is its job. It is supposed to only do that when something is wrong but by definition if it gets confused it will stop you.

For anti virus software you own the computer - it is yours it does your bidding. So you can tell it to stop being an idiot and let you install the software that you know is safe.

If you've let CMBN and CMFI install to their default locations, you'll notice that CMFI has a very different install. It splits: part to Program Files (x86) and part to Documents. CMBN just goes into a folder, eh, somewhere else. :)

So, the fact that Avast allows CMBN but blocks CMFI could just be due to how Avast is sensitized to those install locations.

Good luck! I'm sure a tech support guru could help.

Ken

Malwarebytes is better than Avast for catching malware and even trojans....one time I had 56 virus's after downloading a mod for Rome 2 total war, beware those radious mods. they look friendly on the outside but are dangerous on the inside. I always use MalwareBytes after downloading something and if there anything attached to the download, MalwareBytes usually finds it. Best freeware I ever got for virus checkers.

I am running Norton 360 on a Windows machine, and I have found that disabling auto protect in Norton allows for a trouble free download and install of CM patches. Once you have completed the patch install you just restore auto protect and things are right with the world again.