Suggestion: The Little Red Death Cross

For Iron and Elite difficulty levels, this should disabled for enemy troops. It's not a big deal, really, but why should you get a definite indication of a kill? There's no realistic justification for it, IMO.

Not sure I agree. On Elite and Iron, you will frequently get kills that you do not see at the time. In fact, I'd say in my games, more enemy infantry kills are unobserved than observed.

I've always assumed that the ones where the red cross is displayed are the ones where one of my guys is pretty sure he got a hit, and reports as much to his immediate superior.

Hear hear! They've made it so you can't see the exact formation and type of enemy units by clicking on them, so why not this too? I'd also like the floating icons not to show if a unit is an ammo bearer etc. Or is that a difficulty setting? I usually play on Warrior.

There is an older mod that gets rid of the red cross. It works. I use it.

Play on Elite level to avoid being able to identify enemy unit types by their floating icons. On Elite level, the game uses the same generic icon for all infantry types.

I imagine my iron-level troops see arterial spurting. That's reported up the chain as a red cross. Just sayin'...

If one of your men sees a headless torso plop down in plain sight, it's fairly certain that it will be down for the rest of the battle. Unless you are playing with the zombie option turned on.

Michael

Thanks for the tip on the mod, Mord. I'll check it out.

I'm thinking I may make my own mod that replaces the cross with a big sign that says "Rest In Pieces!" in flowing neon script.

EDIT: Apparently that mod removes all the crosses. In a perfect world I want to keep the crosses for my soldiers, but get rid of the ones for the enemy. Still, thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
Not sure I agree. On Elite and Iron, you will frequently get kills that you do not see at the time. In fact, I'd say in my games, more enemy infantry kills are unobserved than observed.

I am playing PBEM A Temple to Mars on Iron. I am hoping that this must be right because I sure as hell haven't seen any direct evidence of any of the enemy being hit....

When the enemy guys die, I want a lil' pit to open up underneath them and then demons come up and drag them down.

When my guys die, angels should ride beams of sunlight to their side, and them carry them back into the heaven while Gary Moore plays 'Parisienne Walkways'.

Please and thank you.

But why should you know? You wouldn't necessarily know IRL, either.

Angels and demons could work, like the ending of the movie Ghost. Your guys get the Patrick Swayze treatment, while the other guys...

Well he said confirmed hits. Hits that your men know about but you might not. Your men are the ones who personally saw that enemy tank crew get gunned down out in the street in plain sight while you might have been zoomed way out fiddling with something else.

I kinda like that flashing enemy icons idea. It doesn't do any good to hide that information from the player when all he could do is zoom over to the enemy line and watch them taking casualties anyway. The game already puts those red crosses above enemy casualties to make them more visible, why not make their icon flash too?

I think I'd rather have this one:

It doesn't do any good to hide that information from the player when all he could do is zoom over to the enemy line and watch them taking casualties anyway.

I don't think that's true. If you try playing with the no crosses mod, one of the things you notice is that you can't just zoom over the enemy lines and see them taking casualties, not always.