Russia may pay for CM: East Front

Chops

That totally sounds like propaganda to me: "Russia to pay for 'patriotic' games, may ban 'falsely negative' ones".

""Experience has shown that any historical information transmitted in a fun and role-playing form is seen as an unquestionable truth in a child's eyes. Thus, the child is often instilled with false truths. For example, young fans of the movie Pearl Harbor believe that the war was won by the Americans."

Well that is not the fault of the movie Pearl Harbor - it shows how the war between the US and Japan started, seen from the american perspective. It doesnt make any statement about who won it IIRC. IMO the only thing that is shown here is that young children arent able to draw proper conclusions.

'The game should not only be entertaining, but also improve cognitive functions...'

ArmA2 with ACE & ACRE mods installed is such a game - probably the most complex and challenging shooter on the market.

@baron: the amount of your tax rubels that the russian government is going to spend on this matter per year is probably going to be much less than 1% of 1 rubel - so dont worry, you are not really paying twice.

Quote:

"Experience has shown that any historical information transmitted in a fun and role-playing form is seen as an unquestionable truth in a child's eyes. Thus, the child is often instilled with false truths. For example, young fans of the movie Pearl Harbor believe that the war was won by the Americans."

Well, it was WON by the Americans :-)

Quote:

"Experience has shown that any historical information transmitted in a fun and role-playing form is seen as an unquestionable truth in a child's eyes. Thus, the child is often instilled with false truths. For example, young fans of the movie Pearl Harbor believe that the war was won by the Americans."

Well, it was WON by the Americans :-)

By Allies I think.

This is something I never understood. Its quite evident that the soviets had certain ways of making masses of people do war.

Isnt it more in their interest in actually portraying what actually happened and then try to correct eventual mistakes? Every military should.

It has been recognized that Stalin was a monster during the de-stalination in the 50s. Why not distance yourself from the total mindset of that period?

Then again I could be sorely mistaken. Perhaps total honesty is not advantagous to the military as an organization.

Thoughts?

Isnt it more in their interest in actually portraying what actually happened and then try to correct eventual mistakes? Every military should.

That's not how large organizations work.

Objectives are set for the benefit of individuals inside the organization, and sometimes, just sometimes, for the benefit of the organization inside it's framework of who's paying for the show, but never for the benefit of those who actually carry the bill.

Objectives are set for the benefit of individuals inside the organization, and sometimes, just sometimes, for the benefit of the organization inside it's framework of who's paying for the show, but never for the benefit of those who actually carry the bill.

Often though doing things are a benefit for individuals inside an organisation are a benefit for the organisation itself and those who carry the bill too. If you are for example the head of an organisation (like a business company) that pays for your living, you obviously must have an interest in making the organisation work efficiently in order to ensure its ability to pay your salarys now and in the future. This is also partialy true for those who arent in leadership positions inside a business organisation: while they may have less responsibiltys and thus influence on how things are going, they (in a simplified situation where there is no alternative company that can offer a job) still must have an interest in ensureing the well-beeing of the organisation they work for (because otherwise they are going to loose their job & their income the one way or another, either by the company becoming bankrupt or by the company dismissing them). Both of the above have in common that they want their customers, those who carry the bill, to be happy with their products because otherwise the company is going to be bankrupt an none of the above is going to receive their salarys. That individuals as a part of an organisation can afford to mostly ignore the organisations and therefore the other members of the organisations needs is probably more a problem of organisations where those who are in controlling positions do not depend on the well-beeing of the organisation itself. For example dictators in a dictatorship usually depend compareably little on the well-beeing of most of the people they control, although even they still have to fear a revolt if they completely ignore the needs of the public.

So basically i agree to Schmoly Wars statement. It would not be a rational decision to not try to correct inefficient decisions made in the past, especially for the military. If the military doesnt avoid making the same errors over and over again, they are not going to be able to do their job of protecting the those who pay their salarys from exterior threats and thus loose their 'jobs', in the case of the military probably even their lives. The phenomenom you described in your reply to Schmoly Wars post is called corruption and it is illigeal, destructive and irresponsible. You cant generalize this the way you did and say that all large organisations are always completely (100%) corrupt, because if that was the case large organisations as such wouldnt be able to exist.

What? They got tired of eating reindeer?

apparently .... I don't think the lyrics scan properly in Russian -

When I was a young lad I used to like girls,

I'd play with their corsets and fondle their curls.

'Till one day, my lady I caught with some churl,

Now you'd never get treated that way by a moose.

Moose, moose, I likes a moose,

I've never had anything quite like a moose.

I've had lots of lovers, my life has been loose,

But I've never had anything quite like a moose.