Confused as to what a new player should buy

Hello,

I'm very interested in this game, but I'm a little confused as to what a new player should get. I was looking at the Normandy + Market Garden combo, but then I saw that there was a CommonWealth expansion with its own separate bundle.

If I get the Normandy+Market Garden 2.0 bundle, will I still need the cop wealth expansion? Is it still compatible to install after the new version?

Any chance of a bundle with the game and both expansions?

Thank you

Hello,

I'm very interested in this game, but I'm a little confused as to what a new player should get. I was looking at the Normandy + Market Garden combo, but then I saw that there was a CommonWealth expansion with its own separate bundle.

If I get the Normandy+Market Garden 2.0 bundle, will I still need the cop wealth expansion? Is it still compatible to install after the new version?

Any chance of a bundle with the game and both expansions?

Thank you

I'm pretty sure there will be a bundle with both modules, but you may need to wait a little while before it makes its appearance. It just depends on how patient you are.

Welcome to the community forum.

I just looked at the product page for the first time since I bought the original game. There certainly are a lot of choices. That can be confusing for sure.

I do not recall reading anything official about plans for a bundle of the base game, upgrade and both modules. So, no idea about that. You might get lucky and see an official response from BFC here.

In terms of what you need the two modules are independent of each other. So, you can have either one or both no problem.

I do not see reason that would prevent purchasing the Commonwealth module after the MG and 2.0 upgrade. However the install procedure might be a few extra steps since the 2.0 upgrade also updates Commonwealth module components. If you decide you want to got that route I recommend posting a question about what the install procedure would be on the support forum. BFC's support will give you a step by step install procedure to follow to make it work.

That's my take on it.

From what I can tell the cheapest way for the full Normandy suite is: Get CMBN + CW Bundle now. Then when available (a month or so) get CM Market Garden with 2.0 upgrade.

If you don't but the 2.0 Upgrade now you will need to buy the MG with 2.0

But you can split it up any way you like. There no compatibility issues in the order purchased, provided base game, CMBN, is installed 1st. The compatibility problems occur when playing other people...the games must be at the same level.

Yeah but doing it in that order probably wipes out the new code from MG. So you probably want to install MG again after CW.

MG and CW are independent so I think it will be CW that will be out of whack and need to have the 2.0 and upgrade and patch installed again after. Since it is older.

But don't listen to either of us if you go that route post on the support forum and someone from BFC, *who really does know*, can give you the procedure.

Hi vycem, and welcome.

Play the demo, that will tell you enough to know if the game is for you. If you're excited (CMBO did it for me many moons ago - "I've found it!"), then you're hooked: you'll buy on the basis of your personal financial capability. Don't worry too much about playing with other people (although this lends itself to the greatest exploitation of BF's genius), you'll be able to find others in the same situation. There's little credit to those that own the latest and greatest here and BF don't really care (though they'd like to think that their work is worth paying good money for: 'tis well worth our while to stroke their egos a little) - they're in it for the love of the design.

BF have the best business model - win/win - we get to play the game we want, they get to build the game we want.

The 2.0 upgrade is well worth the money..despite moans on other forums about it, it is way more than a patch and I've never regretted buying it.

I own CMBN and CW with as mentioned version 2.0 upgrade. Once you download all of Aris mods you have months of fun. I prob buy MG aswell..though really I'm waiting for the EF games.

I'm going to get the Italy game and module at some point aswell.

As others have said try the demo..I do know the bocage fighting can grate on some, i hasn't bothered me that much but I expect those it does will tell you to go for the Italy game. Though with MG coming out you leave it behind..oh dear I'm not helping am I:)?

It's an impossible question to answer as it's a personal preference. All here love the game and neither game is a turkey, CMx2 is bloody brilliant.

One last thing. CMSF was the first CMx2 game I bought, on a whim, as modern warfare and the setting didn't really appeal at all. Well I loved it that much I bought the Marine and British module. The modern toys are great fun to play with. Anyway after playing CMBN for awhile I started to hanker for CMSF..something I never imagined I'd do. I'm still not enthralled with the setting nor the asymmetrical forces (though playing the Brits is tough and is my favourite CMx2 module), so with the next CM modern game being more even sided I'm as excited about that as the east front games. I never thought I'd be looking forward to a modern warfare game as much as the East front version.

I do know the bocage fighting can grate on some, i hasn't bothered me that much...

At first the bocage bothered me a bit as at that time I was more interested in combat involving long range HE fire combined with sweeping movements, so I tended to play on the more open maps. The last few months though, I've developed an interest in the problems and opportunities presented by the bocage, so now I am playing on the more enclosed maps and depending more on stealth and methodical husbanding of forces.

Michael