Best Computer to buy for CM:BN

Hey fellas,

My computers are crashing when trying to play CM:BN, so i need to pick up a new computer. What computer do you guys recommend to use for playing this game? Price isn't really a concern. I'm out of NYC.

I play ARMA2 and ARMA 3 as well so i like to be able to play my CM:BN as well as my ARMA game with this computer.

Thanks for the help.

Check out the Performance Thread first in the tech support forum. There is some issues (out of BF's hands) that you may want to be aware of.

I picked up a new rig just a couple of months ago and it runs both ARMA and CM very well with very fast load and turn processing times. Getting a FPS hit that's not nice but that's something to do with OpenGL maybe, not sure.

CPU - Intel i7 (forgot the full model name) @ 3.5 Ghz

Cooler - Corsair 100i CPU Liquid Cooler

RAM - 16GB of Dominator and 2400 mhz.

Motherboard - Intel X77

GPU - Nvidia GTX690 (pricey but so far worth it for non CM games)

Hard Drive - SSD for OS and 2 x 2TB SATA's for everything else.

Power Supply - 850W

OS - Windows 7 (Avoiding Windows 8 - personal choice)

Can confirm runs many resource graphics / cpu intensive games like ARMA 2, or Shogun 2 on max settings very well.

Jesus! Is that typical nowadays? No wonder you need a cooler, you could almost do arc welding with that amount of power. Your monthly power bill must be interesting.

:eek:

Michael

Pretty much. Modern power management software keeps the bills manageable; it only gets hot when you work it hard, so most of the time CM just has it ticking over.

Jesus! Is that typical nowadays? No wonder you need a cooler, you could almost do arc welding with that amount of power. Your monthly power bill must be interesting.

:eek:

Michael

Actually they are getting better. My previous rig from a few years ago had a 1200W power supply. :D Individual parts are using less power than say 5 years ago.

Only got liquid cooling as I live in Australia and the peak of our summers can be interesting for IT equipment. :rolleyes:

Over in the tech support forum we found out Claystone has a I5 laptop with an Intel HD4000. Surprisingly enough to me, it runs ARMA2/3. Actually after reading about the HD4000 it seems to be quite reasonable, comparable with low/mid range dedicated gpu's. However, CM:BN crashes, probably because the Intel HD4000 doesn't work well with openGL.

There probably ain't gonna be no fixes for that, soon anyway.

That's why he's looking for a new rig :)

If price isn't of any concern something like Ithikial_AU will deliver. Personally prefer ATI for GPU instead of Nvidia, but that's debatable.

There is no need to give a desktop computer over 1000 usd nowadays.

beucause techonology is very fast and to try to catch with high end systems are very hard. the best tech computer could be old within two years. Instead of that, to reserve the money over 1000 usd for lenghthening of lifetime the old computer. (plus 2 or 3 year).

because of that ;

My system preference will be like that;

AMD motherboard available for SLI and overclock tech (2100 mhz oc availability)

FX 8350 processor (for 8 core)

HD 7870 or 7950 video card (2gb ram + 256 bit)

2 x 4 gb rams with 2100 mhz oc ability (CL 11 class preferable)

Case with 750W psu

256 gb SSD + 1 tb HD

This system could be upgraded by adding second HD7870 or 7950 to catch the 5 year period at next years.

I would recommend you to get a big, large wide screen too if you dont already own one. I had always been playing CMBN on a small 4:3 monitor until i got myself a 22" 16:9 widescreen 2 months ago and i really just can describe it with one word: wow. A completely different gaming experience, i had no idea how good the game would look when displayed on a proper monitor.

I would recommend you to get a big, large wide screen too if you dont already own one. I had always been playing CMBN on a small 4:3 monitor until i got myself a 22" 16:9 widescreen 2 months ago and i really just can describe it with one word: wow. A completely different gaming experience, i had no idea how good the game would look when displayed on a proper monitor.

In a lot of ways, this is true for computers in general. You interact with the thing using the screen, almost 100%. It should be a high prioritty whatever you're using it for.

"If you expect to upgrade you really need to get more than 1KW power plant these days. The vid cards are thirsty. That's utter nonsense. I run my GTX 680 at far less power than that."

When I went to upgrade an older machine with about 850W I found I couldn't due to the higher power requirements of cards and probably everything else.

Maybe your machine is better optimized. You build them yourself??

+1 for big screen. Dell was selling off 30" units a few years ago and I bought one even though my hardware couldn't run it(!). After I got a decent machine it's been great - something like 2700x 1800 resolution.

settled for 24" years ago :)

Maybe your machine is better optimized. You build them yourself??

I do build my own machines, but really, they aren't anything special. No overclocking or fancy cooling systems - just the typical parts one can find at any computer store.