Where all the StG-44s went after the war...

Sort of OT for this forum, but probably still intersting for some. Definately had been a surprise for me:

Hopefully at least some of these weapons make it to the hands of museums or collectors.

EDIT: filmed in Syria

Holy f**k!

Where do these come from!?

Seriously, how can so many Stg44s in that good shape have been stored somewhere without being noticed or used?

I have seen pictures from the 90's showing african soldiers/guerillas/whatever running around with them so I thought the last usable ones were used up over there.

Allahu akbar :)

Olf

Seriously, how can so many Stg44s in that good shape have been stored somewhere without being noticed or used?

Yeah that is an interesting question. Just checked out otherwise all-knowing Wikipedia and even there it says that it is unknown where these rifles came from. However it says that there that the FSA found up to 5000 StG-44 along with ammunation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/StG_44#Post-1945

Where is John Kettler to investigate this?

I am seriously suspicious that these are recently produced replicas. One wonders where though, especially if they are of sufficient quality to pass off as wartime originals. I recall that making AK-47s is something of a cottage industry in Pakistan, but this looks like a true arms factory would be required.

Michael

Just googled a bit and found the following:

"The Yugoslavian army used the MP44.

One of the more extensively and systematic uses of the MP44 after the war, was in the Yugoslavian army, where it's said paratroops used the MP44 as the main handgun up to 1983. I am told that Tito gave Mr. Gadaffi (Libya) 40,000 MP44´s which trickled out to other countries."

at http://claus.espeholt.dk/mp44.htm

I have no idea how reliable that info is.

Well whomever ended up with these in Africa was stupid. Real odd ball caliber today.

Not like you can raid a warehouse or steal from dead soldiers. But the suppliers of the firearms sure would have control over the buyers. ("Yes I can get that kurtz round but eh the cost per round went up 35%")

Great collector and conversation piece though (oooo-AAAHHHHH kewwwwllllll! Yeah it's on Youtube gawd i want that an MG42 blah blah blah)

I am seriously suspicious that these are recently produced replicas.

Considering that original German MP44 ammo from WWII has been found in ammo bunkers in Iraq, it's not a stretch to conclude that many MP44s ended up in the middle east.

as far as i understand the biggest user after WW2 was the East German NVA and the Volkspolizei. They produced the kurz ammo well into the 1980s it seems.

The Yugoslavian Army used the MP44 with its paratroopers well into the 1980s too. Quite a few confiscated by UN troops during the 1990s as far as i remember.

The Czechs had quite a few in 1945, but it seems that they never issued them to their own troops on a large scale - although there are some photographs of Czech paratroopers equipped with the MP44. seems that most turned up in Africa (also from YUG). My father in law had a photo with a few they confiscated in Algeria in the early 1960s ...

No idea on soviet use.