Thick Fog?

Hello all. First I want to thank everyone who's helped answer the (probably dumb) questions I've had since buying this game. I actually bought the game a while back and have had very little time to play it. But the game is addicting; the more you play, the more you "need" to play.

My question is why the fog effects are so light versus CMBB (the only other game I've had time to play). In CMBB the fog is heavy enough to limit visibility down to about 200m. In CMBN it's at least about 750m. I LOVED the fog. It really added a great tactical/planning aspect to the game. Is there any plan to add it or a mod that does so?

I've actually spent some time in Normandy and there were many days the fog was thick as soup and didn't burn off until noon or so. I really don't understand why it was left out. PS: if you ever go to Normandy, do yourself a huge favor - Hire a historical guide! I didn't do this until my third trip there and it made the trip about 1000X better.

+2 to that -- French fogs are extremely thick and played a great role, for example, in the Dauntless/Martlet (June 25, 1944) when the British 49th Div literally got lost after jumping off and tankers couldn't see past their own gunbarrels.

When we get to the next CMBN module and the fall of '44, fog becomes even more tactically significant. In eastern France "les brouillards matinaux" are a daily early-morning feature by September. The nature of battles like Arracourt can't be replicated without real fog and its visibility effects.

I know someone is likely to say, "We left this out because weather can't change within a battle, and players would complain about not being able to see anything, etc." But it's easy to change the weather in the Editor if you don't like it. And it would still be useful to have real thick fog as an effect because I could have one battle in early morning with the fog, end that one, and then set up a second battle starting from the time when the fog has cleared.

One of the first CMscenario's I played was in CMBO (Ardennes 101st airborne if I recall correctly) in this fog. A beautiful grey soup that made the fighting real nervewrecking. Edge of seat experience and I too want it back.

Fighting at night can be a similar experience. Those aweful moments when you can hear the enemy tanks charging (audio contacts) at you but cant seem them yet through the black of night...

Well, there is always the man-made variety that can take this...

smoke1_zps4780f820.jpg

And turn it into this...

smoke2_zps002d6c36.jpg

Nothing like a 159mm fog bank provided Mr. Nebel Werfer.

I guarantee the LOS inside that is less than 10 meters. Two opposing three man teams occupied a single story single tile building for a second or two before cutting loose.

--

That actually is a work-around I'd considered. If you and an opponent want to see what it's like to play in a simulated heavy fog, just set up a scenario OOB to give the German player a lot of werfers and make it a house rule that they can only be used to lay a mandatory smoke blanket, on the starting turn only, and on TRPs that have been pre-placed evenly across the map. After that they're banned from use. Probably quite a framerate-killer, I'd imagine...Not for a competitive situation, obviously, but just an interesting low-visibility experience or if you want to simulate some particular foggy encounter.

In my opinion, they are the best German CMBN off-map asset. Pricey, but damn... look at that. :)

That is a thirty-six round smoke volley.

Six weapons with six tubes per weapon. Anywhere from six to thirty-six round volleys, in multiples of six. Two full smoke volleys and three full HE volleys.

It all falls within seconds. With a TRP, anyone standing around is done.

Terrain-changer for sure.

-

CMBN does NOT use fog-tables.

To my knowledge the 'thick fog' was NOT included since it supposedly did not occur during the CMBN time frame. Obviously some accounts here seem to differ with that decision. If it does NOT get included with CMBN at some point, it will most likely become available with the Bulge game title.

Yes, I'd thought of the man-made variety too. But just not the same. Do you know how long the smoke lasts if your scenario has no wind? And do any other weather effects have an effect on the smoke?

Love the marijuana reference! Why didn't anybody think of that?! Talk about pacifying the enemy. Just approach the enemy lines with a wagon full of donuts and twinkies - war over. Not a shot fired. As I live in Colorado where we just passed "recreational" marijuana I might just establish a think-tank to study the issue. Can't wait to do the "research".

Take the basic concept of a binary fuel-air explosive bomb.

Substitute LSD/hallucinogenic.

Your U.S. tax dollars at work circa 1950s-60s.

I believe the findings were that the delivery systems were a tad too imprecise. LOL But hey, have to explore each new capability as it becomes available. It's the American way.

Modern weapons systems and a bad trip tend to be a bad combo. Hell, a paring knife and a bad trip could be a bad combo.

Now with the new nausea-inducers and other non-lethal aerosols, the above screen could have some tactical uses in certain applications without violating treaties.

"Surrender or we'll make you hurl again!"

-------------