Color Combat Footage: Battle of Caen

I happened across this video the other day and thought it might be of value to folks 'round these parts.

While I cannot verify that every second of footage is, in fact, from the "Battle of Caen," based on still images and B/W film I have seen from the period it appears that a worthy portion of it actually is. On the whole, it's also some of the cleanest and more vibrant HD combat footage I have seen alleging to depict the Normandy fighting.

Whether it's the colors for the modders, the terrain for the mapmakers or simply a compelling reminder the events we dramatize on our computers had consequences for real people, I hope this short piece is informative!

If you liked the one above, here are a few similarly produced videos, albeit more slanted to the German perspective, from the same author:

The Atlantic Wall

(if nothing else, note the eggs-ala-panzer at 3:25)

Yes HCterrorist uploads great videos. I think a portion of the footage comes from the "WW2 in colour" series from Discovery channel.

Ah. Most of the footage on WW2 in Colour is digitally re-mastered and colorized black and white, not original color.

Some of the footage from that show is original color; it's intermixed and they don't specifically tell you which clip is what. But I'm pretty sure that most of the front-line stuff is colorized B&W.

+1. Really fascinating. Thanks...

And a note to modders... we had a a failry heated argument here about how easy it was to see insignia on combat troops. These films show that aside from rear area CO's, the front line troops going into combat have insignia that are very hard to see and maybe removed.

Luke, personally, I really don't care one way or the other re insignia. All I questioned was the "realism" (since that is what most people like about CM2) of bright colorful, easy to see insignia on uniforms.

Why that question became so controversial is just weird. It's a question of "The Emperor's New Clothes" and the photographic evidence is clear and overwhelming.