British Troops in Italian Campaign

I don't know if I missed this question already...

Yep, you did.

...where are the British and Canadian troops in CMFI? They played a major part in the campaign. I looked in the editor and there are only US troops.

FI covers a small section of the fighting in Sicily, so far. It is the base game for a "family" of modules and, like the CMBN family, commonwealth troops will be added in future modules.

CMBN only had US and German forces. Why are you surprised the commonwealth forces aren't in?

UK players always gripe if their guys are present everywhere. If BFC did a game on the Whitehouse Presidential bedroom, they'd be asking, "Where are the Tommies, why were they left out?"

:rolleyes:

Michael

Well I wouldn't. Wasn't it only the Canadians who've seen the inside of the Whitehouse? Or were they British troops stationed in Canada?

;)

Well I wouldn't. Wasn't it only the Canadians who've seen the inside of the Whitehouse? Or were they British troops stationed in Canada?

Since you ask, Churchill stayed in the Whitehouse on at least two occasions. I think Brooke may have been there at least once as well. But they were good guests and didn't burn the place down...in spite of Churchill's cigars.

Michael

Yeah, they were British regulars stationed in Canada - they had the ships to make the trip :)

We, Canadians, still take credit for it though (at least those of us that know the story).

Thats very hard to say. You could make a case either for the Brits or US. I wouldn't really say it was more one or the other, it was both. Just like Normandy. Though the CW faced the bulk of German units initially and most the armor, the US breakout is a large part of what caused the general German retreat and disaster at Falaise.

It's just like asking who did more to win in N Africa. You could make a very strong case for Montgomery and 8th Army (who I would give a little bit more credit for since they stopped the Germans at their most powerful)

However the battle would probably have been drastically different without the US - even material wise with new Shermans, etc. But more than that, the Allied landings in Torch caught the Axis on two sides, and greatly contributed to the 'Tunisgrad' situation.

UK players always gripe if their guys are present everywhere. If BFC did a game on the Whitehouse Presidential bedroom, they'd be asking, "Where are the Tommies, why were they left out?"

Michael

Presumably there'll be a few gripes if CM-Burma excludes the US or Chinese, even though the contribution of both those two nations was clearly worthless

Presumably there'll be a few gripes if CM-Burma excludes the US or Chinese, even though the contribution of both those two nations was clearly worthless

Oh dear, another soul lost in delusion. Just to help you back onto the path to true enlightenment, you should consider the following:

1. The Chinese troops trained by Americans in Assam were turned into quite creditable fighters.

2. From about 1943 on most of the airpower in that theater was supplied by the US, and I am not including the stuff that was exclusively used in China.

Michael

1. The Chinese troops trained by Americans in Assam were turned into quite creditable fighters.

Compared to what they had been, maybe. But if Burma had relied on the Chinese (or the US) for liberation, well, they'd still be waiting.

2. From about 1943 on most of the airpower in that theater was supplied by the US, and I am not including the stuff that was exclusively used in China.

Transport a/c have nothing to do with CM.

Compared to what they had been, maybe. But if Burma had relied on the Chinese (or the US) for liberation, well, they'd still be waiting.

Which in any case would have had little or nothing to do with the ultimate defeat of Japan.

Transport a/c have nothing to do with CM.

Are you forgetting the 1st. Air Commando, which in addition to providing the transports in the theater, also provided most of the fighters, medium and heavy bombers?

Michael

Which in any case would have had little or nothing to do with the ultimate defeat of Japan.

Largest successful land campaign? Sure. Nothing to do with it. It also had nothing to do with the first land crossing of the Antarctic, the cure for polio, or any of dozens of other pathetic and irrelevant attempts to change the topic.

Are you forgetting the 1st. Air Commando, which in addition to providing the transports in the theater, also provided most of the fighters, medium and heavy bombers?

No, not at all; 1st AC certainly provided the bulk of US airpower in Burma. But again, transports, heavy, and even medium bombers have what to do with CM again?

Based on what? The US island hopping campaign/naval offensive that on its own pretty much defeated Japan? Or the massive US contribution to Europe? Seems more like if the US hadn't been drawn into the war the Brits/CWs would have been waiting for liberation from the Russians, or there'd still be legal swastikas in Germany.