Yet More Newbie Questions!

Greetings,

Last time I was here I was playing CMAK and it appears a few things have changed since then, one of which is I am now running on a Mac (MacBook Pro OS X 10.6.8) rather than a PC. My objective of course is to humiliate my cousin in England by learning the game better than he will. This time I won't even use ULTRA (convincing him not to use a password in PBEM :) )

OK, so here are my newbie questions:

1. On a Mac, I do not seem to be able to be able to delete the last waypoint in any way. Oh, of course the instructions explain to use BACKSPACE. But, eh, there is no backspace on my keypad. I try DELETE and that doesn't work. So how do I delete the last way point of a path on a Mac?

2. Can a squad move thru a hedge? I'm assuming a tank can flatten one, but I don't know if the soldiers care to jump over them.

3. Frequently, I'd like to provide paths for my infantry to move somewhere and then target something (e.g., a posh hotel the Germans are staying at). It's even better if I can have my tank move first and then blow up the hotel, while the Germans are having cocktails, rather than just gate-crashing with my infantry.

But how can I do this? As far as I understand if you target say 30 degrees relative to your infantry or tank then my targeting will still be 30 degrees relative once I end up facing the hotel, burger stand, whatever.

I suppose I could target straight ahead, knowing that I'll end up facing the target, but in that case I don't want my tank or infantry shooting straight ahead before it gets to the end of the move path (e.g., if friendlies are straight ahead when I start).

What to do :confused:

4. Finally, I'm playing the Crossroads battle until I get less than embarrassing at it. But I can't figure out how to avoid popping out of holes in the hedgerows the Germans have either covered with machine guns (if I use infantry) or an antitank gun (if I use a tank). Scouts, being a kind of infantry, fare no better. Yes, I know I'm supposed to use my mortars on the antitank gun, but first I have to find it and have LOS, which brings me back to the problem of having my scouts or HQ units creamed when they try to find it.

So, given a particular battle, such as Crossroads, are there:

a. Hints?

b. AARs from players?

c. Expert AARs showing you how to do it "right" ?

Thanks for welcoming me back into the fold. If all or some of these are already answered elsewhere, feel free to just point me in the right direction.

Bill

welcome! here you are one video from crossroads:

some others videos from a nam veteran : (there are six videos)

some good information from the "few good men pages" :

1)http://www.thefewgoodmen.com/thefgmforum/threads/bocage-low-bocage-and-hedgerows.8356/

2)positioning:http://www.thefewgoodmen.com/thefgmforum/threads/calling-poor-old-spike-positioning.9798/

3)how can croos what:http://www.thefewgoodmen.com/thefgmforum/threads/who-can-cross-what.8379/

one wikipedia too: http://combatmission.wikia.com/wiki/Bogging

and of course a lot of good advices from veteran forum players... :D

welcome again!

1) I use a Mac and DELETE works. Sometimes you need to press twice, though.

2) only if there is a hole - if you are talking about high hedges. Theres two sorts of low hedge: thin and wide. Thin can be jumped over, wide not. You'll get the difference after a while.

3) click on a waypoint so it lights up (the line also gets thicker). Then you can attach orders to that waypoint.

4) take your time to find out from where the fire comes by sitting behind the hedge for a few minutes. Then you have a target for your mortars and MGs. Haste kills.

2. Just to clarify Poesel71, there is a hedge which can be run through and driven over by all or most vehicles. Then there are TWO bocage types: High and Low. Both are impassible by men and vehicles - these are small earthen walls with thick shrubs and trees. Tanks would get stuck trying to go through them. Small gaps let men through the bocage. You can have men with demolition packs blow a hole through them if needed.

3. In conjunction with what poesel posted, you can attach a covered arc command to a waypoint or do it at the beginning before you place any waypoints. The tank will face it's turret to the center of that covered arc.

4. After using your infantry to spot enemies in the next hedgerow, Try moving your 60mm mortars up to the hedgerow, deploy them and then, use direct fire to eliminate positions.

Holes in bocage like any choke point will frequently be covered by enemy fire. If you can't establish enough fire superiority to go through an opening then make your own.

Bocage is impassable to both infantry and tanks unless you make a hole in it. Infantry with demo charges can use the blast command and Allied tanks with Rhino attachments can also make a hole in bocage.

If you are concerned about your mortars being spotted as they move into position along the hedgerow, I have had success with quick moving them to the action square that is one space behind the hedgerow and then slow moving them to the edge of the hedgerow.

This is a good general infantry movement tip, not just for mortars -- don't QUICK or FAST units all the way up to the a tall bocage line if you can avoid it; HUNT or SLOW the last action spot if at all possible. This makes it much less likely the unit will be spotted by any enemy units on the other side of the hedgerow before getting set up in firing positions.

A related tip is that if you need to do a lateral repositioning along a tall bocage line, don't move the unit right along the edge of the bocage, as this way the unit will probably be seen (and shot at) by any enemy on the other side of the bocage while moving. Instead, pull the unit one action spot away from the bocage, and then move them laterally. This way, they will usually drop out of LOS of any enemy on the other side of the bocage while moving.

welcome! here you are one video from crossroads:

some others videos from a nam veteran : (there are six videos)

some good information from the "few good men pages" :

1)http://www.thefewgoodmen.com/thefgmforum/threads/bocage-low-bocage-and-hedgerows.8356/

2)positioning:http://www.thefewgoodmen.com/thefgmforum/threads/calling-poor-old-spike-positioning.9798/

3)how can croos what:http://www.thefewgoodmen.com/thefgmforum/threads/who-can-cross-what.8379/

one wikipedia too: http://combatmission.wikia.com/wiki/Bogging

and of course a lot of good advices from veteran forum players... :D

welcome again!

Thanks! The video looks quite good, just watched the first 15 minutes, will catch up on the rest over the weekend. I appreciate the hospitality of everyone here!

1) I use a Mac and DELETE works. Sometimes you need to press twice, though.

2) only if there is a hole - if you are talking about high hedges. Theres two sorts of low hedge: thin and wide. Thin can be jumped over, wide not. You'll get the difference after a while.

3) click on a waypoint so it lights up (the line also gets thicker). Then you can attach orders to that waypoint.

4) take your time to find out from where the fire comes by sitting behind the hedge for a few minutes. Then you have a target for your mortars and MGs. Haste kills.

Thanks, I got the DELETE key to work although it seems that I can't just tap it, but have to hold it down longer.

Before getting CMx2 I was attempting to use QuicKeys macros to reprogram the keys to my liking but I now see that is superfluous. I don't know if there is some interference, or from any other key assignments.

One anomaly is I can't get reverse view (normally V) to work, nor can I assign to it in the options where I can reassign other keys.

Has anyone run into that problem, or problems with key macro programs interfering with CM:BN?

This is a good general infantry movement tip, not just for mortars -- don't QUICK or FAST units all the way up to the a tall bocage line if you can avoid it; HUNT or SLOW the last action spot if at all possible. This makes it much less likely the unit will be spotted by any enemy units on the other side of the hedgerow before getting set up in firing positions.

A related tip is that if you need to do a lateral repositioning along a tall bocage line, don't move the unit right along the edge of the bocage, as this way the unit will probably be seen (and shot at) by any enemy on the other side of the bocage while moving. Instead, pull the unit one action spot away from the bocage, and then move them laterally. This way, they will usually drop out of LOS of any enemy on the other side of the bocage while moving.

Thanks, all. I'm still a bit confused, e.g., as to:

• what an action spot is (a field behind a bocage hedgerow?)

• how the enemy could see troops move behind a bocage hedge. I thought that would block all sight.

• how, once the mortars are positioned, one can get any observer to get LOS on a target without getting killed.

• also, should I use smoke to set a screen to move my infantry behind it?

Thanks, guys!

• what an action spot is (a field behind a bocage hedgerow?)

• how the enemy could see troops move behind a bocage hedge. I thought that would block all sight.

• how, once the mortars are positioned, one can get any observer to get LOS on a target without getting killed.

• also, should I use smoke to set a screen to move my infantry behind it?

Thanks, guys!

Very good questions.

1. The battlefield is made up of squares. Maybe you've played or seen strategygames where the map/playingfield was made up of hexagons, wich looked a little like a piece of mesh wire layed flat.

In combat mission these hexagons are rectangular and invisible, but they're still there. (At the repository there are mods that make them visible, so you can see the lay of the land much better.)

These are called action spots.

2. Don't know whether Battlefront modelled it after the real-life thing, but like in a dense forest, or in shrubbery, there are gaps and holes in bocagewalls through wich you can see (parts of) the enemy, or at least some flashing of units moving. it all depends on light, density, foliage etc.

3. Well, it is tricky, but think of how you would do it in real life. Ever played Cowboys and Indians as a kid? Sneaking up on each other while trying to stay unseen for as long as possible? That's how to do it. Be carefull and count your blessings that you can, unlike the real soldiers, try and try and try again. Be inventive!

4. Yes, that's a good idea. Unfortunately it comes down to real good timing and if you have a lot of bacage, you'll soon run out of smoke. Again, trial and error.

PS: I'm playing this game for some time now and more often than not I get frustrated when I lose a forward observer or get whole squads mown down because I couldn't get rid of them boys behind bocage. The game gives a nasty sense of reality of how difficult fighting in the bocage was in those days.

Keep on trying and good luck!

Thanks, all. I'm still a bit confused, e.g., as to...

...what an action spot is (a field behind a bocage hedgerow?)

The game field is divided up into an (invisible) 8mx8m grid. The "Action Spot" is possibly best thought of as the centre point of each grid square. You can see the size of a square by selecting an infantry element; the shaded square(s) under the team(s) are the Action spots.

...how the enemy could see troops move behind a bocage hedge. I thought that would block all sight.

Apart from where there are gaps, bocage hedges do block all sight apart from three exceptions:

First, you can see through bocage almost as if it's not there, if you're adjacent to it. This represents the fact that you can peer through gaps when you're close to a hedge that wouldn't be apparent from further away.

Second, you can see things that are on the far side of bocage, but adjacent to it. Think of that as the shadowy flickers of movement that you can see through hedges. Also, the above troops peering through the hedge also have a cha ce to be seen. Bocage provides excellent concealment though, to troops behind it which have a chance to be seen, so the "peering" troops are less likely to be seen than the targets they're peering at.

Third, one you're within a couple of AS of a hedge, you can see "a couple" of AS past the hedge too.

...how, once the mortars are positioned, one can get any observer to get LOS on a target without getting killed.

This has already been described. You stealthily move the observer into some sort of concealment that overlooks the target, from the side that the target can't see. Bocage are excellent. Houses are okay. Use Slow.

...also, should I use smoke to set a screen to move my infantry behind it?

Proper use of smoke screens is one of those things that starts to differentiate the veteran from the tyro. When you use them, where you drop them when you do use them and the effectiveness of your use of them are all big questions, but using them well, when and where they'll do the most good will certainly make a difference. And not just to infantry maneuver.

This has already been described. You stealthily move the observer into some sort of concealment that overlooks the target, from the side that the target can't see. Bocage are excellent. Houses are okay. Use Slow.

And give the observer a very short Cover Arc. This will stop him from giving away his position by firing at enemy he can see.

When I first started playing CMBN, I thought that the Cover Arc told the unit to concentrate his spotting in that direction/area ie. "look over there mostly".

Later I learned that this is NOT the case - the Cover Arc restricts the unit to only fire at enemy within the arc ( unless enemy are very close and firing at the unit ).

Thanks, guys!

Here's my basic tactic in bocage fighting with U.S. infantry, step by step:

1. Move up a two man scouting unit to a new hedgerow. Let him engage enemy in order to draw fire from all possibly enemy units. Yes, you're using your scout as bait to find out where the enemy is hidden.

2. While the scout is finding new targets, move up MG, squads, and mortars in sneak mode to get into firing position along this new hedgrow. MGs and Squads are there for 2 reasons: keep enemy fire off of your mortars and to provide some suppression.

3. Deploy the 60mm mortar or mortars asap. By the time it's setup you should have at least 1 target or ? visible. You will want to do a direct fire on the action spot closest to where the ? is seen. Mortars are allowed to target just beyond hedgrows and walls even though they may not have LOS to that action spot.

4. At first the mortar will slowly do a couple or 3 spotting rounds. After this it will fire rounds quickly. I find it typically takes between 6-10 rounds on target to neutralize a half squad of men. Keep track of how many rounds are fired because they go quickly and you have a limited number.

5. If there is more than 1 target along a hedgerow, then switch to the new target after 10 rounds.

6. Once all known enemies have had 10 rounds each it will be relatively safe to move up scouts and/or squads in Assault mode. You can use other squads to provide area fire on the ? just to make sure they are suppressed if still alive.

For direct firing a mortar, I have a problem in WeGo with mortars firing too many rounds at the enemy. A whole minute of firing a mortar drains 60mm mortar ammo very rapidly. Sometimes I only want the mortar to fire for 30 seconds. Is there a way to target an enemy with a direct fire mortar mission in WeGo for less than a full minute? I've tried setting the pause action for the mortar at 30 seconds with the target command, but this does not seem to work.

If the "Fire Briefly" command doesn't work for any weapon, the only other tactic is to move the weapon after "x" seconds. Yes, it takes time to set-up again, but it saves ammo.

Or you could use "Target Light" which fires another bomb as the previous one lands, getting you about 3 rounds per minute, maybe 4.

Thanks, all :)! I think I have enough to keep me busy for a while trying out all the welcome advice. Seems the Nazis are having another ice cream social at the Panzers-R-Us store (the one next to the hotel), so I shall try out my new lessons now! — Bill

PS Oops, I just thought of one more question. Put I don't want pose it that way, having used up all my questions for the day. Here is my key assumption so I can play CM:BN with my cousin in England: We can both play with the same PBEM files, even though I am on a Mac and he is on a PC. If that is incorrect, please someone disabuse me of the notion, otherwise I shall happily proceed with this belief.

Thanks, all :)! I think I have enough to keep me busy for a while trying out all the welcome advice. Seems the Nazis are having another ice cream social at the Panzers-R-Us store (the one next to the hotel), so I shall try out my new lessons now! — Bill

PS Oops, I just thought of one more question. Put I don't want pose it that way, having used up all my questions for the day. Here is my key assumption so I can play CM:BN with my cousin in England: We can both play with the same PBEM files, even though I am on a Mac and he is on a PC. If that is incorrect, please someone disabuse me of the notion, otherwise I shall happily proceed with this belief.

Yup, Mac and PC email files are completely compatible. You can play vs your cuz, no problem.