New file at the Repository: Wittmann's Demise (2012-12-11)

Background The small but fierce battle that took place some 50 kilometers south of Caen in the fields and woods between the small Normandy villages of St. Aignan and Cintheaux on August 8, 1944 has become famous for two reasons. First, it marked the death of Nazi Germany’s most famous tank commander, SS Hauptstürmfuhrer Michael Wittmann, holder of the Knight’s Cross with Oakleaves and Swords. Second, the battle was a pivotal moment in the next to last great British offensive in Normandy, Operation “Totalize.” Playing The Scenario First off you will need to patch your game to 2.00 to play this. The READ ME contains full background info about this very famous (infamous?) action and is worth checking out before playing the scenario.This scenario was primarily designed for play as German attacker Vs Allied AI Defender and all third party testing has been done this way.. There is an AI Plan for the German side but the AI does not do attacking as well as a human would. Still it’ll give you some fun – especially if you like KOing Tigers! If playing against the Allies/Germans there are multiple AI Plans. German AI Plan 1 and Allied AI Plan 1 are the ones that best recreate the actual order and pathway of the attack. You can switch off the other AI Plans in the scenario editor. Given the force balance it’ll also do for H2H. However, this is a historical scenario and the forces are not balanced. It’s a very tough call for ...

More...

Just got the game along with the 2.0 upgrade saturday. This was the first good sized scenario i played. Really reminded me of some of the good times from cmx1. Also i liked the pdf included with all the background info an pic's. Villers-Bocage would be awesome. Thanks for your hard work!

Glad ya enjoyed it :) the PDF was included to help give a context to the rather tough (impossible?) situation the Germans faced. All in all I think wittmann and his unit knew they were heading to their deaths - the whole German attack was launched in the hope of stalling the continuation of the allied attack.

Re Villers Bocage - I had considered doing that, but as a cmbn scenario I'm not too sure how well it would work - plus it would be huge like really huge :) anyways cheers for playing 'demise' oh and have a Merry Christmas :)

• 3 weeks later...

@Lawrence - Thanks for your comments. Really glad you are enjoying it :) Out of curiosity how did it go (assuming you've finished)?

@Verulam - Thank you :) I'm really pleased that given the restrictions of the game that I managed to capture the actual action. This map took a long time to do and at the start there were several re-draws. Also took a great deal of time referencing the action from every angle and every source I could get my hands on. As I said I'm really pleased it all worked out.

Cheery!

Many thanks to Francois for his feedback over at the Repository. I have to quote it "This stuff's so good I don't think it could improve, honestly, it's nail biting pants stretching action."

I must admit this is the first time I've had any scenario I've done described as pants stretching! :)

Cheers for taking the time to both play and post your feedback. It's really appreciated.

• 1 month later...