New file at the Repository: Wittmann's Demise (2012-12-11)

George, I am playing this one with Warren "TheCapt" and we are having an amazing game. I wanted to send my thanks for putting this together.. and we (or just myself) will probably be putting together an AAR after we finish it.

FYI, I am the Germans and kicking ass (and getting mine kicked back).. Wittman is still alive, as are most of the Tigers, even though those Fireflies have been simply murder. I don't think I've ever seen so many brewed up tanks on one map before.

From Warren's last email: "Damn, this is one helluva swirling dogfight."

So thanks again, and keep 'em coming!

Hi Bill

Thanks for the fine words of praise :) I'm pretty chuffed to hear people are enjoying this one as I think it was one of the toughest I've made yet. Getting the map done as best I could given the editor/game constraints was a toughie. This was done before the map overlay thingy was introduced so effectively done by eye and hand and lot's and lot's of scaled of aerial photos and maps. I reckon I now own every book and DVD about this action.

The fighting in the woods around Cramesnil is generally overshadowed by Wittmann's team being nailed in the open field. However the fighting in the woods and ravine was vicious involving close up tank and infantry fighting.

I'm looking forward to an AAR :)

Good luck to you both and keep me posted.

Cheery!

As I said in the other thread: Great scenario.

I was quite surprised by the size when I loaded the scenario, though: I don´t know much more about this battle than what I´ve read in Ken Tout´s "Tank!" (wonderful book, btw). From his desciption I had expected a much smaller encounter - but perhaps that is rather telling about the perspective from the point of view of the indivdual soldier.

Is Tout and his force from the NY in the scenario? And if so - where?

Cheers

As I said in the other thread: Great scenario.

I was quite surprised by the size when I loaded the scenario, though: I don´t know much more about this battle than what I´ve read in Ken Tout´s "Tank!" (wonderful book, btw). From his desciption I had expected a much smaller encounter - but perhaps that is rather telling about the perspective from the point of view of the indivdual soldier.

Is Tout and his force from the NY in the scenario? And if so - where?

Cheers

Yup the NY are on the map - British left flank - around St Aignan and the surrounding orchards.

His book though includes eye witness accounts of the fighting (often overlooked with the desire to focus on Wittmann's and the Canuks and Ekins involvement in his demise!) in the ravine which was pretty horrendous as they faced around 20 odd German PzIVs and SPs (possible even some panthers) plus a battalion of attacking German panzergrenadiers . Overall this was a large scale German attack that lasted for the best part of the day.

Cheery!

I was going to DL the new version of your scenario but it seems the file still dates 11 Dec 2012...

I made a boo boo updating the file which deleted the original scenario post (with feedback, ratings etc). End result is Martin at BFC kindly resurrected the original scenario post.

I have just uploaded the updated file. It should be available latter today.

Meanwhile you can grab it at the following dropbox link:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/gfdbyg6sk5jznqz/HW-zCDGUpf

Cheery!