reduce "click" count > basic formation deploy orders

As much as I like this game, managing large formation ( 1+ companies) is limiting game appeal on large scenarios.

Any news/rumors about basic formation orders

- deploy along this line ( see attached example where click count is reduced 2.5x )

- follow this truck

in order to reduce clicks count ?

post-19966-141867624342_thumb.jpg

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As much as I like this game, managing large formation ( 1+ companies) is limiting game appeal on large scenarios.

- deploy along this line ( see attached example where click count is reduced 2.5x )

- follow this truck

There is no news or rumour.

- follow this truck

I understand what you are asking for, but your illustration is IMO only confusing, or so it seems to me.

Michael

I understand what you are asking for, but your illustration is IMO only confusing, or so it seems to me.

Michael

Michael,

The snapshot is supposed to described the following :

- Implement a group order, that would automatically distribute waypoint to all the units selected.

Example:

- select 5 units

- Group order "deploy" from this location (click1) to this other location (click2).

(this makes a deployment line)

- CMB2x automatically distributes Waypoint for each of the 5 units along this line.

Michael,

The snapshot is supposed to described the following :

- Implement a group order, that would automatically distribute waypoint to all the units selected.

Example:

- select 5 units

- Group order "deploy" from this location (click1) to this other location (click2).

(this makes a deployment line)

- CMB2x automatically distributes Waypoint for each of the 5 units along this line.

And what speed would you like them to move at? That's another click, and you've hardly saved anything at all from saying "Quick to [approximately where you want them (exactly where you want the key unit of the selection)] then adjusting 4 other waypoints. You've saved 3 whole clicks in the process and that's if you find you don't need to adjust the automatically-distributed terminal waypoint of any of the elements you chose. And you'd need/have the opportunity to do this how many times in a game? Is it really worth the coding effort.

Formations for the members of a team or squad (oblique/line abreast/chevron/line ahead etc) I can see being worth it, but not some sort of half baked mass move thing that mostly doesn't put troops where you really want them.

I think a FOLLOW command would very useful to streamline logistics; especially where moving convoys is concerned. Ideally following units would keep their interval of spacing from when the order was given. The speed of the flowing unit would adjust to the lead unit to maintain the set interval. I have always found a FOLLOW command of the best ways to improve logistics in every RTS game I have played that offered the command, and could see it being just as, or more useful for CM.

I think a FOLLOW command would very useful to streamline logistics; especially where moving convoys is concerned. Ideally following units would keep their interval of spacing from when the order was given. The speed of the flowing unit would adjust to the lead unit to maintain the set interval. I have always found a FOLLOW command of the best ways to improve logistics in every RTS game I have played that offered the command, and could see it being just as, or more useful for CM.

+1........

What we need is something that would combine the group unit selection function with the linear artillery fire function, with an added script to create a number of waypoints running along the line equal to the amount of units selected, then if this can be repeated multiple times with move orders connecting the waypoints, the user could then create large scale formation layouts and movement paths with no more effort than it would take to click and drag a mouse two or three times.

What we need is something that would combine the group unit selection function with the linear artillery fire function, with an added script to create a number of waypoints running along the line equal to the amount of units selected, then if this can be repeated multiple times with move orders connecting the waypoints, the user could then create large scale formation layouts and movement paths with no more effort than it would take to click and drag a mouse two or three times.

Sounds like an excellent way to get a lot of troops murdered in the open to me.

rotflmao!!

Personally, the last thing I need is a command structure in the game that has a ton of work in it just to keep me from having to issue those commands. I'd rather the time be spent on things I can't do... like fire.

So if BF implemented such a function, you would be compelled to use it to move foot units into compromising positions ?, sounds bizarre, you do realize that any such function, like the current single path move order function we use now, would allow the user to not only choose how they use such a function, but what type of units they use it with.....amazing eh ?

rotflmao!!

Personally, the last thing I need is a command structure in the game that has a ton of work in it just to keep me from having to issue those commands. I'd rather the time be spent on things I can't do... like fire.

Could you explain what this comment means ?....as i cannot see how it is related in any way to my suggestion ?

Could you explain what this comment means ?....as i cannot see how it is related in any way to my suggestion ?

simple, I can already tell my pixeltruppen what to do in a very detailed manner. The proposal appears to be a request to BF to configure a fairly complicated set of AI instruction to do what I can already do albeit it takes more time. No offense, but I would personally hate to see BF put all that effort into something that is simply a time saver. I'd prefer features for things I can not currently do or fix things like armor angle of fire behavior and AT weapon functionality, add flame throwers , better AI behavior for single player combat etc.

While your description of the concept is clear and concise, making it work is a whole other kettle of fish.

simple, I can already tell my pixeltruppen what to do in a very detailed manner. The proposal appears to be a request to BF to configure a fairly complicated set of AI instruction to do what I can already do albeit it takes more time. No offense, but I would personally hate to see BF put all that effort into something that is simply a time saver. I'd prefer features for things I can not currently do or fix things like armor angle of fire behavior and AT weapon functionality, add flame throwers , better AI behavior for single player combat etc.

While your description of the concept is clear and concise, making it work is a whole other kettle of fish.

I see what you mean now, and i agree with you about it being low on the priority list, especially once version 2.0 introduces the ability to adjust individual waypoints, it was just a suggestion as to how i would like to see it work if it was implemented, i wouldn't of even brought it up if it wasn't for a/ This thread being posted, and b/ the fact that i am playing a CMBN battle with over 30 tanks on board on a map not dissimilar to a billiard table :D

I see what you mean now, and i agree with you about it being low on the priority list, especially once version 2.0 introduces the ability to adjust individual waypoints to CMBN, it was just a suggestion as to how i would like to see it work if it was implemented.

Low on my priority list anyway. :D Heck I'd be happy to be wrong and it turn out to be something simple and shows up in v3. We all have our own particular quirks in what we'd like in the game and what would really enhance our game play. I don't profess to speak for anyone as to what would most enhance the game. At the moment though I keep looking at the low detail level for additions versus the macro level of group commands.