Which one to get CMBN or CMFI....?

Long time fan of the CM series and I want to get started with this new series. I could use a break from CMSF but am unsure which game to get first....

Both seem to have some advantages over the other for me but which one would you all recommend I purchase and play first and why?

Seems like a tough decision. Please help me decide.

Thanks!

CMBN: Lots of bocage and close in and ugly fights. Newer units. As of yet Allies consist of US, and British Commonwealth modules.

CMFI: More open, hilly and rocky terrain. Older units but still fun.

CMFI is a newer, prettier engine (IMHO). But it has been buggy for me. It has crashed on me several times. I have not played it recently because there is a patch coming...sometime this year...(sarcasm) :(

There will be an update for CMBN to bring its engine up the currency with CMFI.

Is it so that if you delay buying CMBN a little you can get the 2.0 version - no need to buy the upgrade?

At this point, I agree this would be my choice.

I like them both, each has a different feel, but you will have much more to choose from with CMBN and you have better match ups with units also.

But its also fun in cmfi in that the infantry is not packing the same amount of anti tank stuff, exspecially the Germans. So it changes the tactics some. Plus the Italians are just fun to have to play with. A real challenge to work with.

I would download and play the heck out of the demo's until CMBN MG module is released. I would do it this way because there will be much more content available (including new terrain) at that time should I decide I can afford to buy the title and both modules (close to the same cost as 2 titles). Couple the savings on the upgrade with a potential title + module bundle and a person operating on a budget might see enough of a savings to pull the trigger on making a purchase that is larger than just buying the title. Then, while I'm playing CMBN + CW + MG I'm saving up for CMFI + module or CMSF2 or CMEF and I'm in no rush due to all the content.

But the main reason I'm buying CMBN is the awesome Carentan scenario created by undercovergeek, (currently h2h only?). This is one of if not the best pbem scenarios I've ever played (and I'm playing from my least preferred side). It has been edge of the seat stuff from turn 1.

<snipped>

But the main reason I'm buying CMBN is the awesome Carentan scenario created by undercovergeek, (currently h2h only?). This is one of if not the best pbem scenarios I've ever played (and I'm playing from my least preferred side). It has been edge of the seat stuff from turn 1.

@sfhand,

I would enjoy reading an AAR of your experience and thoughts of Carentan as PBEM scenario. Hope you write one. Good luck playing it out! Thank you.

I'm playing CMBN (plus Commonwealth extension) few time ago and I'm not thinking in getting CMFI at the moment.This game looks great but i would prefer to wait for a release with new escenarios and armies like the Pacific with the Japanese or the Eastern Front with the Red Army.

Just FYI, the Sicily campaign does have "new scenarios and armies"; the forces involved play nothing like the armies in Normandy.

Just FYI, the Sicily campaign does have "new scenarios and armies"; the forces involved play nothing like the armies in Normandy.

I didn't say there aren't new scenarios and armies in CMFI(I know there is the Italian Army for example),I said "new scenarios and armies like...".I would be very interested in a game like CM setted in the Pacific front,for example, and the bloody and fierce battles which took place there.Airborne troops would be replaced by the Marines:cool:

arpella72,

If you're waiting for the Pacific to be covered, I hope you brought along everything needed for lifetime survival! Steve's made it clear the PTO is NOT going to be done. Am not sure why, but he's been adamant on the issue since CMBO came out. Meanwhile, the mods have gone hog wild, creating Japanese troop skins, weapon skins, new faces, tropical vegetation and such marvels as LongLeft Flank's Makin Island scenario. That one WILL require CMBN. If we had flamethrowers, we could really go to town. Am hoping for the Buffaloes (LVTs) in a later CMx2 game. Then, we can really rock and roll!

Regards,

John Kettler

arpella72,

Whew! I watch stuff like that and marvel they could get anybody to do it in the first place!

We probably will get to fight in the PTO, but it'll be thanks to those wonderful modders. Since you brought up "bloody Peleliu," recommend you read this.

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,887055,00.html

Regards,

John Kettler