Oversteer issue/problem

Just wondering out loud but is it because it has a FAST order ???

P

This would stop it from driving in a straight line ? On a road ? Where better to use FAST ?

You're just worried 'cos it did it on your map :P - joking ;)

The AC in the original part of the post had, I believe, a HUNT. ( although I can't remember for sure, it may have been QUICK, definitely wasn't FAST in that instance )

This would stop it from driving in a straight line ? On a road ? Where better to use FAST ?

You're just worried 'cos it did it on your map :P - joking ;)

The AC in the original part of the post had, I believe, a HUNT. ( although I can't remember for sure, it may have been QUICK, definitely wasn't FAST in that instance )

It doesn't look like it ever got established on the road... it looks, to me, like it blew through the road (travelling too fast to make the turn?) and proceeded to the next waypoint from its new off road position. I use move for this type of change in direction.

I would hazard a guess that the vehicle's speed - in this case said to be quick, off-road, with hidden hazards (all without headlights!) is pushing the vehicle's and the driver to the limit. I say that after just having headbutted the tarmac only an hour ago while out on my push-bike and skidding on leaves on a blind corner....

It doesn't look like it ever got established on the road... it looks, to me, like it blew through the road (travelling too fast to make the turn?) and proceeded to the next waypoint from its new off road position. I use move for this type of change in direction.

Sorry, I'm definitely not buying that :

a) You'll note that I plot the turn with 1 or 2 less sharp bends

B) I plot all road-following movements like this - if this happened more often than ... er, once, I wouldn't be posting about it, I would have changed my plotting method.

As it happens, this same Panther made several turns like this one and even sharper all over this map without "blowing through the road".

In fact I find that speed usually ( assuming not in confined spaces ) assists vehicles to make their turns - I almost never use MOVE because of the annoying ( to me ) tendency of vehicles under MOVE to decide they need to stop and crank round in the turn before moving on, rather than just turning during their travel.

- note: reading through this response, I can see my tone could be construed as fairly "snarky" - it's not meant to be, just trying to refute your offered theory.

Now now, cut me some slack man, I just started. :D

I do get what it is going to take to have this get a serious look, gimme a bit to try and get that data. If folks have waited since CMSF came out, I figure you can give me at least a few days.

No worries mate, if I post about something that looks off/odd and someone else goes to the trouble of looking further into it, I'm happy.

I know BFC can't fix everything, but they definitely can't fix something they don't know about ;)

I post about stuff because I like and enjoy the game and I would like it to be better, not because I enjoy p***ing and moaning :)

Sorry, I'm definitely not buying that :

a) You'll note that I plot the turn with 1 or 2 less sharp bends

B) I plot all road-following movements like this - if this happened more often than ... er, once, I wouldn't be posting about it, I would have changed my plotting method.

As it happens, this same Panther made several turns like this one and even sharper all over this map without "blowing through the road".

In fact I find that speed usually ( assuming not in confined spaces ) assists vehicles to make their turns - I almost never use MOVE because of the annoying ( to me ) tendency of vehicles under MOVE to decide they need to stop and crank round in the turn before moving on, rather than just turning during their travel.

- note: reading through this response, I can see my tone could be construed as fairly "snarky" - it's not meant to be, just trying to refute your offered theory.

Dude... I'm not selling anything.

When I posted I was thinking about the way I drive. I rarely drive WOT, which is what I think fast represents, and I certainly wouldn't drive WOT going from off-road to road even though I drive a "rally car" which I'm sure handles a lot better than a tank in terms of oversteer (at least that is what I have tuned the suspension for). Since CMSF I have made a habit of slowing down for curves (in game).

But I am wondering, if you've only experienced this once why are you including it in your thread about oversteer? You seem to have just acknowledged it is an outlier.

Isn't expecting perfect driving from every vehicle all the time a bit like expecting perfect shooting from every weapon everytime? Expecting perfection at everything is unrealistic, I think. Even expecting perfection occasionally is probably aiming too high - humans under pressure do the dumbest things.

Whenever one of my vehicles follows a wonky path I get upset, sure, but I just put it down to Pte. Numbnuts having another bad day.

In a recent - and ongoing - battle I had a Churchill take a left at an intersection instead of going straight ahead as I'd intended. It just about cost me the Churchill, since my opponent chose that moment to sprint an infantry team to close assault the tank. On the other hand, maybe missing the turn saved the tank, by moving them away from the approaching Germans, who were then cut down by my infantry. On the other other hand, maybe they made a wrong turn because of the approaching Germans. Or maybe I just plotted a waypoint too close to some bocage, and confused the AI engine. I don't know. What I do know is that it provided some chaos at an unexpected time (which I generally consider to be a good thing), my tank survived, the Germans didn't, and I was able to re-position within a turn or two and carry on my advance.

(BTW, in this same battle one of my FOs managed to inadvertently drop a bunch of mortar shells on my own guys, basically wiping out what remained of an already understrength platoon. *shrug* Sh!t happens

)

Isn't expecting perfect driving from every vehicle all the time a bit like expecting perfect shooting from every weapon everytime? Expecting perfection at everything is unrealistic, I think. Even expecting perfection occasionally is probably aiming too high - humans under pressure do the dumbest things.

Whenever one of my vehicles follows a wonky path I get upset, sure, but I just put it down to Pte. Numbnuts having another bad day.

In a recent - and ongoing - battle I had a Churchill take a left at an intersection instead of going straight ahead as I'd intended. It just about cost me the Churchill, since my opponent chose that moment to sprint an infantry team to close assault the tank. On the other hand, maybe missing the turn saved the tank, by moving them away from the approaching Germans, who were then cut down by my infantry. On the other other hand, maybe they made a wrong turn because of the approaching Germans. Or maybe I just plotted a waypoint too close to some bocage, and confused the AI engine. I don't know. What I do know is that it provided some chaos at an unexpected time (which I generally consider to be a good thing), my tank survived, the Germans didn't, and I was able to re-position within a turn or two and carry on my advance.

(BTW, in this same battle one of my FOs managed to inadvertently drop a bunch of mortar shells on my own guys, basically wiping out what remained of an already understrength platoon. *shrug* Sh!t happens

)

Hey you trying to drop my body count on the basis they were friendly fire victims? You are just lucky my PF guys hate trees more than Churchills. Damn trees.

Hey you trying to drop my body count on the basis they were friendly fire victims?

Whatever it takes, bro. What. Ever. It. Takes :mad:

You are just lucky my PF guys hate trees more than Churchills. Damn trees.

There's a joke in extraordinarily poor-taste there, struggling to get out :) Several, actually ...

Hey Baneman,

just so you know I haven't forgotten. I have a nice little proving ground set up as I keep thinking of additional variables I'd like to add. problem is I am finding nowhere near the effect I expected to after the initial run of the one on that map. I think I am gonna go back to that map and check to see if there is anything I somehow overlooked and possibly edit it to make a smaller test bed.

I have literally dozens of vehicles lined up along all the seperate types of roadways and yet none of them are showing anything like I saw on that QB map. That may be a good thing if I can figure out why. or it could be a really bad thing if it is fairly random and no way to exactly recreate... ggrrrr

• 2 weeks later...

Well I have to admit to failure - sort of.

I am unable to duplicate the behavior. I can find nothing that seems to be a recognizable cause. That is not necesarily bad news as I suspect I/we are barking up the wrong tree. I have a sneaking suspicion the issue isn't a vehicle issue per se but instead a general pathing issue and it is not necessarily reproducible by just creating the same conditions in the map. Why I think this goes back to the other issue folks have noted where one member of a team will occasionally get separated and do something totally funky. Obviously that one isn't map related, it has to be something more fundamental. That "something" is not visible at the level of access I have. I can only play the game, I can't see nor understand the underlying code.

I have passed it up the ladder to better minds than mine...okay I realize that means generally anybody, but in this case anybody at BF. It isn't the only item, but considering that I don't see the effect that often and play a LOT I wouldn't hold one's breath on it being figured out quickly.