Preparation of direct fire with mortar

Nitouche

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never noticed this...they've always taken time to turn towards the direction I've redirected them to before firing. You are saying if you give them a target in the opposite direction of where they are firing they will switch and immediately continue dropping rounds with no delay whatsoever?

Mord.

I've never noticed this...they've always taken time to turn towards the direction I've redirected them to before firing. You are saying if you give them a target in the opposite direction of where they are firing they will switch and immediately continue dropping rounds with no delay whatsoever?

Mord.

I am not in a position to test, but I think he is also saying they don't care at all about LOS either.

You are saying if you give them a target in the opposite direction of where they are firing they will switch and immediately continue dropping rounds with no delay whatsoever?

It is not a matter of redirection but time of preparation.

The first time a mortar fired, it performs a slow firing rate (about 2 rounds / minute) until it finds a good accuracy, and then fire with a high rate.

But the second targeting, whatever the position (in LOS ! Always) of the target , the fire is quickly and accurately immediately...without preparation.

It is not a matter of redirection but time of preparation.

The first time a mortar fired, it performs a slow firing rate (about 2 rounds / minute) until it finds a good accuracy, and then fire with a high rate.

But the second targeting, whatever the position (in LOS ! Always) of the target , the fire is quickly and accurately immediately...without preparation.

I am noticing this, on the receiving end, on one of my PBEMs where my opponent has several on-board mortars. I had assumed they were simply high experience and motivation troops.

I've just done some tests myself to replicate what Nitouche has discovered, and he is correct.

Only the first target requires any ranging shots.

Once a mortar team (I used a German 81mm, with Regular crew and +1 Leadership) has registered on one target, it can be firing for effect within about a quarter minute of arriving at a new firing position. No ranging shots are required, they just go to the selected rate (AFAP for Target, and "Fire when you see the last one land" for Light) and drop bombs 10-15s later on the Target Action Spot. Less than half a minute between arriving and starting to kill whatever's in the AS.

Combined with the lack of setup time (nominally 46s for a German 81), no wonder people are complaining about the lethality of direct lay mortars. What should take about 3 minutes (arrive, deploy, fire first shot in 1st minute, observe and correct for another 2 minutes, maybe a bit less, begin FFE/first impact at the beginning of the 4th minute) is taking less than half a minute.

BFC: Fix or do sumfink.

Edit: it's present in FI too, so the upgrade to v2 won't get rid of this flaw.

This really is a game-breaker. Mortars become the be-all and end-all of anti-infantry weapons. There's no cover against them except remaining unseen, the only counter is to keep moving, and even then if the shooter "leads" right, it won't matter because it doesn't take a very near miss to send the moving troops to ground, and after that they're just "Sarajevo roses" waiting to happen. It seems like it's just a flag that isn't being reset: "QZeroedTgt", and it should be a trvial fix. I have to say I'm feeling like I can't play the game at the moment because of this SNAFU.

This really is a game-breaker. Mortars become the be-all and end-all of anti-infantry weapons. There's no cover against them except remaining unseen, the only counter is to keep moving, and even then if the shooter "leads" right, it won't matter because it doesn't take a very near miss to send the moving troops to ground, and after that they're just "Sarajevo roses" waiting to happen. It seems like it's just a flag that isn't being reset: "QZeroedTgt", and it should be a trvial fix. I have to say I'm feeling like I can't play the game at the moment because of this SNAFU.

It is certainly intentional that a unit that has already adjusted fire onto a location should not have to adjust fire again on the same or nearby location when engaging a new target. The nearby part seems to be the issue here. Possibly there is a simple number error and 50m has become 500m or something.

It is certainly intentional that a unit that has already adjusted fire onto a location should not have to adjust fire again on the same or nearby location when engaging a new target. The nearby part seems to be the issue here. Possibly there is a simple number error and 50m has become 500m or something.

As Nitouche says, it's not the nearby thing that's the issue. So far there's been approximately a kilometer between different aim points from different firing positions at the most (shoot 300-400m north, mount up, drive south 200-300m, shoot 300-400m south) in the tests I've done. IIRC. It's probably a bit less, cos the map I used is only a klom long, so call it 900m. If there's a distance boundary that's got shifted, it's got shifted to a number large enough not to fit on most maps, it seems. Still, it should be easy to find.

This issue which, it seems, connects with the deploy bug and the identification of spotted enemy units including squad and team affiliation need some loving attention from Battlefront.

What makes you think the mortar target reset issue has anything at all to do with the working, intended (though admittedly somewhat incongruous and deserving of attention) behaviour of showing the unit details? I think it's more likely linked to the "Denied if spotter killed while call in progress" thing. Though you might be right about the deploy bug, but I think the mortar problem would have been spotted sooner if it had been about from the start like ISTR the deploy bug being. Or maybe that came in 1.01 and the mortar targetting not resetting came in 1.10.

What is "sad" about this issue is that it was already reported back in the earliest CMBN times. There were multiple discussions about mortars changing fire from one moving target to the next (90 degrees to the right) without any delay and hitting first round. But we had enough fanboys jumping into the threads saying that mortars are that accurate and that there is nothing to look at. I also cant remember a official response from BFC to that topic. While i always had the feeling that there is something wrong with mortars i just can hope that BFC repsonses this time.