Huge Pale Compliments

Did I miss the brass band for this?

It would appear, than when you have an HQ clicked, its subordinate units (at least, at times) show up as a lighter shade of gray/green.

So you can find them without double-clicking!

Which means you don't do the double-click, find unit, and then accidently move everyone with the same move order.

If I am correct, that is a tremendous improvement. Huge. There should be sparklers or somfink.

So.... do we bring back the band, and reinstate the OP's honour?

Do we finally retire "It's been that way since CMSF"? :P:D

GaJ

No, because it's simply not true. There might be some new subtle wrinkle, but it has, indeed "Been that way since CMSF", at least as far as I can tell from Rankorian's OP.

I wasn't going to respond, and kick this thread up, since I clearly made a mistake.

But since people are piling on:

1. I think the change in tint only occurs for directly attached units (not subordinate HQs). It would not be unreasonable, I think, to have subordinate HQ also change in tint--but since that is so obvious, there must be an obvious drawback.

2. If you pick a high level HQ double click it, and then move it accidently, I think that only causes an extra movement segment on the subordinate units, rather than, as I remember in CMBN, completely wiping out the subordinate units previous movement paths. The mistake can then be corrected with a backspace. If so, bring back the Tubas, put on the band hats, and the compliments can continue.

I'm not sure if I understand what you are trying to say... I opened Hot Mustard as Allied. I double-clicked the Battalion Commander which highlighted every subordinate unit. I issued a movement command to an action spot outside of the setup zone. A movement order was generated for all units. (side note: when I issued the movement order inside the setup zone, from what I could observe, only the Battalion Commander moved)

edit: I think I get what you are saying now... I think it was that way in CMBN too, but, as I said before, CRS makes certainty impossible...

edit 2: yep, CMBN is that way too :)

But since people are piling on:

To be clear, Rankorian, I, personally wasn't piling on you :)

1. I think the change in tint only occurs for directly attached units (not subordinate HQs).

Indeed, that's the case.

It would not be unreasonable, I think, to have subordinate HQ also change in tint--but since that is so obvious, there must be an obvious drawback.

I think it's a "six and two threes" thing. If clicking the Coy HQ highlighted the whold Coy, you'd not be able to visually distinguish the Coy support elements. I agree that, most of the time, this is a lesser concern, and would say it's more like a "4 and 2 threes" in favour of having the whole TO dependent on the HQ highlight. But perhaps the "click on a subordinate" and "click on the HQ" use the same subroutines, so clicking on the XO team would highlight the entire Coy, which probably isn't what you want. Doesn't seem like a big fix, though, to have selecting the HQ do something potentially different to selecting a non-HQ unit. It's all coding time though.

2. If you pick a high level HQ double click it, and then move it accidently, I think that only causes an extra movement segment on the subordinate units, rather than, as I remember in CMBN, completely wiping out the subordinate units previous movement paths.

Just giving the multiselection (however achieved) an (additional) movement bound doesn't wipe the previously-defined waypoints in CMBN. It's hitting backspace with the multiselect active which does that, instead of just removing the last (erroneously mass-added) waypoint.

The mistake can then be corrected with a backspace. If so, bring back the Tubas, put on the band hats, and the compliments can continue.

It would, indeed, be most excellent if backspacing with multiple units selected just erased the last waypoint of each unit in that selection. Have they achieved that in v2?

There is one caveat here... movement orders plotted in prior turns aren't affected, i.e., if one plots a long movement order, say in the setup turn, and a turn or two later wants to add onto the HQ's path but inadvertently adds onto all subordinate units, one can backspace and only the paths added that turn will be deleted (which is why I don't usually encounter the "backspace ate all my movement orders" situation). This is true in CMBN, I haven't checked in CMSF.