More small scenarios & campaigns

Less talk, more scenario making! :D

Most of y'all already have a year of CMBN under your belts, some of you have another 2-3 years of CMSF too. You should be able to do maps and scenarios in your sleep by now! If you're one of those who have never touched the editor, really you're missing out on half the adventure the game offers. How many CM scenarios have I done since CMSF was first released, Twenty perhaps? If each CM player did just one additional scenario we'd all have fresh battles to play into the 22nd century! :)

"And a Medium scenario in CM2 = a Huge one in CM1."

Au contraire mon ami... It's the other way round. The largest CM2 scenario I have seen would only be "medium" in CM1 - leastways the ones I play.

CM1 comes into its own with 3 battalions plus several companies of armor and other vehicles per side. We're slowly getting there with CM2, but not close yet. (Not to mention the massive additional computer power requirements.)

I have a couple of ideas sketched out for very large scenarios for the Bagration title. ...

Mind if I put you on Speed-dial ? ;)

I'm with Erwin on this - CMBN ( currently ) just doesn't approach CM1 "Huge" battles. Although I suspect that Childress meant "workload" when comparing CMBN Medium to CM1 Huge.

But I remain hopeful that good ( and massive ) scenarios will make their appearance - and I look forward to them :)

No, 4x4. It was the same in CMSF.

I've found huge maps just mean more infantry trudging.

An average fit person's walking speed is under 5km an hour. A 3x3km map measures 4.2km from corner to corner. An awful amount of walking time. Most often engagement ranges are still under 1km and LOS often under 300m due to foliage and topography anyway. 'More' is not always 'better'. Which is why the nostalgia for smaller maps and smaller scenarios.

Which is why the nostalgia for smaller maps and smaller scenarios.

What drugs are you on??? :P I'm nostalgic for the truly big battles in CMBB. Why, just the other day I was playing one Winter War scenario with an infantry battalion supported by a T-26 company. Advancing through a snowy forest is not quick but thanks to Wego you can cut to the chase, err, encounter.

Not sure if I'm getting senile or just having less time to complete scenarios in CM, but I prefer smaller scales. I'm only playing real time since CMSF, so this is one major change compared to CM1. I understand people who play large scenarios - I tend to be one before too. But now, I'm old guy with kids and only got hour or two killing time with CM *when I get the time*

30-120 min scenarios are perfect. I don't mind if there is reinforced company or few platoons - I enjoy both. After RT was implemented to CM it's nice to see that we can actually access both smaller and larger ones (with wego). At least for me it's too much to trying to manage several companies in RL. I try WEGO but still getting back to RL - just my preferable.

MikeyD said wise words: "Less talk, more scenario making!" Scenario making is fun too! I have one under work right now. Hopefully I got time to finish it too. :)

Few tips for new scenario makers: start SMALL. It's fast and easy to make smaller scenarios. It's easy to overhaul yourself and maybe your scenario will be never ready. Small ones can be good too and you don't need that much time and effort to make them. I truly respect larger scenario makers. I'm the one who never really got time and patience to make them. I know how much time consuming scenario making can be. :)

Keep your hats on. Let's make more nice (any size) scenarios for this great game.

But I remain hopeful that good ( and massive ) scenarios will make their appearance - and I look forward to them :)

The Eastern Front seems to me to be the place for them so I'll want to make one or two that have 2+ Battalions on at least one side. (Of course, there were some enormous battles in France as well but the Allies have so much going for them that I don't feel quite so inspired to create any for that theatre.) I made a couple of quite large ones, not HUGE, for my CMSF Red v Red campaigns so I'm not new to big CMx2 missions. In fact, it might be a lot of fun for a change.

Massive and mobile East Front scenarios in CMBB (and maneuver scenarios in CMAK) are probably a big reason for the continued propularity of CM1. Am enjoying a massive H2H East Front campaign tournament at BoB at the moment.

What was someone saying about what a pain to have inf walk across a huge map?? That's why god invented APC's and Tanks innit? For those who much prefer mobile/maneuver warfare and huge maps, CM1 is still the only choice. (Even CMSF had mostly high mobiity scenarios on large maps (Still loving "Road to Dinas" and "Helluva Road Clearing". But, there are too many CM games now and I'm like a poor sod with ADD switching from one game/campaign to another, but not completing anything. :( Looking forward to CMSF2.)

Few tips for new scenario makers: start SMALL.

I've got to chuckle. How often have we read a post like "I've started building the entire city of Antwerp to-scale" or something similar then never hear about the project again? I suspect if the map ever got completed the designer was getting framerates in the single digits. Really, scenario design doesn't have to be that gruelling. I did a 'minimalist' scenario once. A long straight road with open desert on either side. Low hills 5-600m north. And that was it. I can't even recall there being trees. But it was a 'tactical situation' that had to be overcome. Start the game and have at it! No need to build the entire city of Antwerp.

I'm a large scenario fan myself - i prefer armoured/mech type actions on BIG maps.

I've done few largish ones for CMBN and play them just as I played CMX1 - rarely split squads and only micromanage the units at the pointy end. I also split my force into recce, advance guard etc. this means often I'm only really working with a handful of units rather than the whole lot.