A gratutous film clip some may appreciate...

It's amazing, it ends with the enthusiastic narrator saying "A study in contrasts, the captives and The Victors!"

Only, I can't see much contrast. All I see are some terrified, post-adrenaline surge young men, angrily waving the intrusive camera out of their revery. Honestly I can imagine some "victors" envying their captives whose fighting days are most likely over.

EDIT: Or HA! I thought it was actual footage from WWII, not a clearly anti-war 1960's movie. Thanks for your elucidating posts, Erwin & mjkerner.

It's amazing, it ends with the enthusiastic narrator saying "A study in contrasts, the captives and The Victors!"

Only, I can't see much contrast. All I see are some terrified, post-adrenaline surge young men, angrily waving the intrusive camera out of their revery. Honestly I can imagine some "victors" envying their captives whose fighting days are most likely over.

EDIT: Or HA! I thought it was actual footage from WWII, not a clearly anti-war 1960's movie. Thanks for your elucidating posts, Erwin & mjkerner.

Yeah I bet they had some vet advisors, right down to the grunt angrily motioning the camera man to get the hell out of the way. The weapon reloading was choreographed well. Small details like that.

I saw thius in the theatre when I was 10, and it was one of those that always stuck with me. When I was in my 20's I saw it again, and the "newreel" made more of an impression, especially the "study in contrast" between the victors and the vanquished.

Hmmm, I can't seem to edit my posts???? Anyhoo, sorry for the typos, especially "newsreel".

Seems that about 20 years after a war, some creative film maker often decides he's going to "tell it like it was", i.e. how he imagined it was, which is often in marked contrast to the wartime and immediate postwar films that are usually very patriotic and gung-ho. This happened about 20 years after WW2, and again after Korea and Vietnam, each war having films that were to some degree revisionistic being made quite some time after the shooting was over.

Hollywood tends to see everything through some sort of filter that seems to warp reality, be it in contemporary or postwar films. Even Audie Murphy couldn't get Hollywood to make a truly realistic war movie: as much as he tried, "To Hell and Back" still had all the typical Hollywood hoo-rah stuff in it, though many parts of it did come from Murphy's wartime experiences. Lee Marvin had a bit better luck with his "Big Red One" but that was a long time later and it was nowhere near as melodramatic as was Audie's film, which was a product of the 50's when WW2 was still seen through more idealistic filters.

Modern film making seems to be taking a different course. Not entirely sure if it is because the wars seem to go on forever nowdays, or because the internet makes it difficult to easily categorize wartime experience into simplistic black and white events.