Forces

Hey every one, I'm not a player of CM but this one get my attention, at least will get depending on the asnwer.

I read in the main site that forces from America, Italy and Germany are available, but I see no Brits or any other minor army present in the battle for Italy.

Will there be the forces of Brits (commonwealth), Free France, Poland and Brazil?

Even if forces like Free France, Poland and Brazil fight under American or Brit flag.

Well, judging by CMSF and CMBN there will AT LEAST be CW such as Brits and Canadians and Poles. But they won't appear until a module. Just like in CMSF and CMBN. Modules add lots of extra units and battles.

One could always mod Brazilians in using whatever nation they were armed by. Like there's a Free French mod in the Repository using the American infantry and vehicle models as the base. Decals and the like were put on to make them French.

Mord.

The first release of CM:FI gets only the Americans, Germans, and Italians because it covers the battle for Sicily. The Commonwealth would have been nice to have here as well, but it was simply too much to do. The Commonwealth WILL come, but not with base release. Future modules will move into Italy, and then there's all sorts of neat forces that might be depicted, but that's all in the future for now.

BFC announced a limited offer of a 'tin case' packaging to hold all future CMFI modules. Which means this is only the beginning. So eventually I expect to see Ferdinand super tanks, Panther pillboxes, snow on the ground in winter, allies - stuff we can't even imagine now. Currently, the game is sticking rigidly to Sicily timeframe force structure for American, Germans and Italians. Compare to Combat Mission Shock Force which started with Stryker Brigade units then expanded and expanded.

Well, judging by CMSF and CMBN there will AT LEAST be CW such as Brits and Canadians and Poles. But they won't appear until a module. Just like in CMSF and CMBN. Modules add lots of extra units and battles.

One could always mod Brazilians in using whatever nation they were armed by. Like there's a Free French mod in the Repository using the American infantry and vehicle models as the base. Decals and the like were put on to make them French.

Mord.

Thanks Mord, I might still buy the game, played the demo for CM1 a long time ago, it's a good game. The thing is, I might not have the time to mod a brazilian pack, even not being very difficult to mod it, as all weaponry used by the brazilian forces was produced in the US.

Thanks Mord, I might still buy the game, played the demo for CM1 a long time ago, it's a good game. The thing is, I might not have the time to mod a brazilian pack, even not being very difficult to mod it, as all weaponry used by the brazilian forces was produced in the US.

If you supplied the voices I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to find an enterprising modder to do the graphics end. ;)

Well, who knows for sure what will be in. I do doubt Brazil will make it though. It's a stretch. But as anal a bunch as we are around here I am sure someone would end up modding them even if you didn't, though.

Keep checking back in over time. We haven't even seen all the stuff for Normandy yet, so I imagine Italy is gonna be just as cool! Like MikeyD said, the titles will expand.

Mord.

The Brazilian formation, AFAIK, was not present during the Sicilian battles, so it's no surprise that it won't be included immediately. I would think that there's a good possibility that any nation that had at least a divisional-sized formation (and Brazil had an Armd Div take part in the Italian fighting, right?) will get a treatment as part of a future module. If I were guessing, maybe the 3rd module, which would probably centre on Anzio or Monte Cassino (FSSF please).

Obs: Darn, you guys are fast to answer here, in SC foruns the members are kind of dead, take some hours for an answer.

Yeah, We're pumped! LOL we just got the mother of all updates today. So much cool info I actually felt high for a while. This Italy title is just a part of the over all CMX2 news.

Mord.

The Brazilian formation, AFAIK, was not present during the Sicilian battles, so it's no surprise that it won't be included immediately. I would think that there's a good possibility that any nation that had at least a divisional-sized formation (and Brazil had an Armd Div take part in the Italian fighting, right?) will get a treatment as part of a future module. If I were guessing, maybe the 3rd module, which would probably centre on Anzio or Monte Cassino (FSSF please).

Brazil sent 25.700 soldiers and 50 planes to Italy to fight from september 1944 to may 1945, virtualy 2 divisions or a corp size unit. They took part in the battle for Monte Castello (not a very active unit in the war). We sent no armored division to the war, we had only inf, the equipamente and traning by US officers, just as the planes were US planes, but brazilian pilots.

Brazil sent 25.700 soldiers and 50 planes to Italy to fight from september 1944 to may 1945, virtualy 2 divisions or a corp size unit. They took part in the battle for Monte Castello (not a very active unit in the war). We sent no armored division to the war, we had only inf, the equipamente and traning by US officers, just as the planes were US planes, but brazilian pilots.

I make now bones about having more than a very minimal knowledge of the Brazilian formations in WW2. I knew they took part, were equipped by the Americans (and fought as part of the the overall American command structure? by which I mean as part of the American Army formation, similar to the Free French, and not in the Commonwealth command structure) and were at least divisional in size (it appears that I was off by a division? ;))

A little off topic but....y'know, I've wanted to play that game (SC:WWI) but I don't think I'll ever have the time.....especially now....who knows, maybe if it goes on sale some time (are the Canadian Corps & ANZAC Corps depicted?)

Sure they are, they come as Brit corp units, under Brit flag, but has their historcial names. You can even make some alternate historical desicions, as sending the ANZAC to egypt and not the france, or wait 2 months for the canadians to end their traning in brit fo a cost, or deploy them that same turn in france, but badly trained and equiped.

I say that I like SC:WW1 because of the details and the so many different aproches you can make to win a game.

Get the demo of the game, you will like it :)

Is the TO&E of the Rangers significantly different at the platoon level and below from regular US infantry?

Yes, quite a bit.

A Ranger Company in 1943 has two platoons of Rangers. There are two five-man 60mm mortar teams at the company level, officially they were part of the platoons but the practice as I understand it was to have them at company level.

The platoon HQ is four men, one of whom is a marksman. The platoon has two sections (CM squads) of ten men each, which has a GL and either a BAR or an M1919A4.

So a Ranger Company/Platoon is much smaller than the equivalent infantry formations, with less heavy weapons.

About Brazil, fighting on Italian mainland starting September pushes them entirely out of the Sicily opening title. I believe Brazil was equipped with Greyhound armored cars. Not even the US has Greyhound armored cars in Sicily! :) It may eventually wind up that the forces are so similar to the US that instead of a Brazilian-flagged force you'd need to rename a US battalion, turn them into erzats Brazilians. Thats 110% guessing on my part, and it'll be a loooooong time before anybody has to worry about such things.

• 1 month later...
What about the elephant in the room! There aren’t any Fallschirmjageren depicted in CMFI yet the 1st parachute division provided a critical role on the Island. Who cares about a small role the Brits played when Germany's elite are left out of the fight.

The answer that has been given by BFC is (IIRC) that the FJ didn't fight the US forces on Sicily.

The game (CMBN, I mean) is well worth playing even if your own national forces aren't represented. I don't have CMBN-CW yet and I'm still having great fun with the US and Germans even though I'm a Brit. Download the demos for BN, read the manual and don't expect to win first few times out, and you'll see the splendour that is CMx2. By the time you've played out the demo, there might be a demo for FI!