Various Infantry Mods- WIP

benpark

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great work, Ben!

If I were nitpicking, I'd only say that your source photo seems tok show the cammo more as irregular strips than squarish patches.

Also - just wondering -- would it be possible at all within the constraints of modding to make a version that has some foliage leaves/branches stuck in the netting? I suppose nothing can stick out of the helmet model itself, but even just some bitmapped foliage that looks as if it's under the netting might give a great effect.

I have some foliage tests underway, I definitely want to see one in-game as well.

The UK helmets are hard to get the fronts and backs to look right, so it's a bit tough with the more "random" types of camo. The graphics have to join just so or they don't match up- or worse, look like a nightmarish Rorschach test. Add a camo net, and then some random elements, and it's slow going. Working on it, though.

Erwin probably still has a helmet BMP that is somewhere in his z folder saved at 32bit instead of 24. It may be in a deeper echelon sub folder or something. If every helmet was removed the game should default back to stock textures automatically.

Mord.

Oh, so that's how to make it invisible. I'm still finding my way after almost a year of messing with these files!

By the way, Ben, I feel your pain. I modded the Para helmet last week to give them more camo, but have been debating how much more time to spend on it since the joins are truly a bi-atch. I'll post a pic tonight. I don't think it's something I want to "release", but

I had to redo the entire thing, but it's now a better approximation of most camo usage pictures I could find. The leaves are from imagination, as I couldn't find any contemporary pictures in the field with leaves and twigs- but how different could it be?

Two pics of both types. I have another underlying helmet texture to adapt these to for variety. If people think they do the trick, I'll upload them in the next couple of days after a few final tweaks.

2ih85u0.jpg

That looks damn nice, Ben! The fidelity of the graphics makes it very hard to pull off visual tricks compared to CMX1, BUT man, going by the screenie it sure looks like you nailed it.

Mord.

Thanks. I'll get them up as soon as I can.

Not much more to show so far on the Germans. I've spent my productive hours on figuring out how to get textures to wrap around the UK helmets without looking horrible.

Here's where I've left off. Lots to do on these still. The jacket in one is stock, but the trousers aren't- so mixing and matching is going to add a huge amount of variety. Note the boots in the second picture- the models are the same as the Heer infantry, so they work as either boot type as far as the texture goes. These are stock CMBN, dirtied up. There's also fantastic existing CMBN mods to add to these.

35d2hid.jpg

Oh, so that's how to make it invisible. I'm still finding my way after almost a year of messing with these files!

By the way, Ben, I feel your pain. I modded the Para helmet last week to give them more camo, but have been debating how much more time to spend on it since the joins are truly a bi-atch. I'll post a pic tonight. I don't think it's something I want to "release", but

Mjkerner- I'd like to see that para-mod- the stock texture is the stuff of nightmares.

My method for the front and back of the helmets where textures get whacked out- I finally just started counting the number of mesh blocks up from the bottom rim of the helmet to try to figure out where I should have the join, then cut the texture in two. Keep a bit of extra overhang where the helmet half ends. Not scientific, but it gets you close. I then load up a test scenario, and make screen grabs of the helmet from top, front and back. Then back to Photoshop to nudge the texture up or down. Needless to say, keep every little addition on a separate layer.

I had to re- read your explanation, but I think I understand. Way too clever for me to thought of it. But your results are excellent!

I have modded all the Germans using the methods you used on the SS...texture swapping, partial image swapping, and messing with color. I alsodid the same for Paras, but I will eventually get around to doing more detail work on them. I have to go into the game and grab some screenshots yet. I get too distracted messing in the editor making scenarios lately. If I'm ever stuck on a desert isle without a woman, give me an Internet connection and this game and I won't be bored for years!

+1 to varying the types and colors of the helmet foliage a bit to rough it up -- there's a risk of it looking too pretty and decorative, like a lady's fancy hat! But I love the direction all this is going so far. You're getting really really close.

Ha! Yeah, I was getting nervous about the ladies hat effect. A more random configuration seems to help avoid that:

33y6po0.jpg

Nearly done.