Foxholes in Mission 3 of Scottish Corridor are next to useless *spoilers*

Just tried this mission twice. Defend against German attack, plenty of foxholes, problem is they are outright useless because unless you put your men right up against the bocage they can't see the Germans until they are on top of them. Some pictures to illustrate:

What my men in foxholes can see:

83864768.jpg

What is actually in front of them:

63480866.jpg

The foxholes have absolutely no use right now because my men cannot see the enemy until they are almost on top of them. And the bocage does not offer enough cover allow my men to fight off the attack or even fight a delaying action because the numbers they face just pin them right down. Either you keep your guys in the foxholes and they can maybe engage them when they come with 30 meters, or you move them up to the bocage wall 5 feet away and let them blast away until they get pinned down.

I just noticed this as well. I thought there was a fix in the last patch for the LOS issue with foxholes behind hedges(?).

That mission was...unpleasant. The setup zones were pretty restrictive, so you just have to try to survive as placed until help arrives. The next one is great, though. I like the larger maps, particularly since they run so well with the new patch speed fix.

There is a work around for this particular problem. Probably way too much work, but...

Get the Campaign/Scenario Organizer mod (it should be in the Repository and on GaJ's CMMODS) which will extract all the scenarios from this campiagn. In the editor, open the map in 2D, remove the offending hedgerow, then open the map in 3D, move the foxholes to where the hedgerow was, go back into 2D, and now add back in the hedgerow to where it was. Your foxholes will straddle the headgerow, but your troops will be able to see the enemy, have better protection (unofficially they seem to have more durability with the bocage/foxhole combo), and they can deploy on either side of the bocage line, which can be a handy thing.

Now the hard part, (I assume--I've never done it) is to re-compile the maps, etc., into the campaign again. Me, because I don't like the usual time constraints of campaigns, don't bother and just play the scenarios in order and not in campaign mode.

This scenario is a pain. Forst the whole worthless foxhole thing but worse is the set up. You place your units in what seems to night time in the rain. You set your sight lines are at most 120 yards or so. The scenario starts and BINGO its daylight and suddenly you can see 400 yards. Your units are pulverized because you set your arcs too short.

Dunno about the scenario in question, but I do think it's unrealistic to expect to be able to use foxholes at the base of bocage.

If it were realistic, there would be photos, eh? Anyone have any?

I agree with the observation that if you were standing in a hole at the base of bocage, you certainly would not be able to see beyond the bocage...

GaJ

Honestly if we could put foxholes right into the hedgerows and have them be hidden as well, we would likely complain they skew the game too much. It is hard enough to drive the enemy from a well defended hedgerow without bringing a lot of firepower to bear. Add some foxholes back there to head for if the enemy calls for artillery and you have a fairly tough defensive position.