will a module be based on the Eastern Front?

Yes... I know I probably shouldn't be asking this, and probably won't get an official response... but heres to trying... lol...

I know we got Commonwealth up and coming, and looking forward to that... but will we see a Eastern Front module for CMBN, or not... or maybe that will be a completely separate game... ?

I ask with reason... Were looking into a contest and the prizes are all based on the Eastern Front of WW2... we have no appropriate prizes for the Western Front unfortunately.

Thx

Yes... I know I probably shouldn't be asking this, and probably won't get an official response... but heres to trying... lol...

I know we got Commonwealth up and coming, and looking forward to that... but will we see a Eastern Front module for CMBN, or not... or maybe that will be a completely separate game... ?

I ask with reason... Were looking into a contest and the prizes are all based on the Eastern Front of WW2... we have no appropriate prizes for the Western Front unfortunately.

Thx

Eastern Front will not be a module to CMBN. Modules are smaller releases that add additional units, plus maybe a few additional terrain features to an existing game, but do not move the game to an entirely new time period or theater. So modules to CMBN will stay within the general second half of 1944, Northwest Europe theater.

Good news for us East Front fans is that, according to last information from BFC, a whole CMx2 East Front *game family* is planned. Last I read, plan was to start with a game centered around Summer 1944 - Bagration. I don't have any inside info on when to expect this game to come out, but I probably wouldn't expect it for a good 18 months - 2 years.

I agree Erwin!Barbarossa to Berlin, the 1st Eastern Front software was epic in scale...u could fight whole thing from the first warm days of June to the final winter and horrors of '44-'45...but what do u men when u say:

"I understand the logistics re starting E. Front in '44.."

iS it gonna pick up chronologically from the calender western fronts being played on? man that would suck...I loved all the old school panzer 2's and 38T's all of which were just about obsolete or not used for field action by 1944....

but either way ill close by saying Battlefront rocks regardless....thanks for the intelligent games

Maybe by the time BFC get around to developing the new game they would have had plenty of time to think about it. I would much prefer a game starting in 1941 personally. It makes much more sense to the consumer. But I also understand BFC's take on it. Maybe by then they will have implemented a new engine, and their reason behind releasing a 1944 game first will become invalid ;)

but what do u men when u say:

"I understand the logistics re starting E. Front in '44.."

Basically BFC have stated that it is easier for them to produce a game starting in 1944 due to the fact a lot of the German units etc already in exist. It should speed up development somewhat. But I also believe by the time it gets round to it, maybe in 3 years I'd say, they would require a completely new engine by then anyway.

...maybe in 3 years I'd say, they would require a completely new engine by then anyway.

Maybe, but I'm not so sure. My thought is that they will want to complete the next couple of game families with the current engine. Then, depending on how satisfied they are with the performance of the CMx2 engine, will decide on whether to stick with improvements of it or go for a totally new engine. A lot will depend on developments in computer technology between now and then and how far those developments have been adopted by their target audience. For the next 2-5 years I think rather than seeing CMx3 we are more likely to see CMx2.1, 2.2, 2.3, etc.

Michael

The eastern front games will be run on a holographic gaming console that doubles as a coffee table. It will include an olfactory output as well. You will have the option of issuing verbal commands or just thinking what you want the units to do. Your units will curse you out personally if your leadership is getting them killed.

We will all still complain that we can't tell what our units have LOS/LOF to.

The eastern front games will be run on a holographic gaming console that doubles as a coffee table. It will include an olfactory output as well. You will have the option of issuing verbal commands or just thinking what you want the units to do. Your units will curse you out personally if your leadership is getting them killed.

In five years the game will be a time machine that transports you back to 1941 as a tank commander. Losing a battle will hurt....real bad.

I just want to hit the lottery so I can go to Steve and say "Hire me for $1 a year, and let me work on this game." :)

UI, data, number crunching, whatever... can't be much harder than determining photometric yields on incident planes at varying distances from the light source (Illumination Engineering anyone?). Just don't ask me to do anything artistic.

Imagine playing Real-time multiplayer with that baby!

I would love to see a Russian Front CM but for this a three month time window as with Shockforce and Normmandy is too short for my tastes. If you have to split it up whsat about 3rd Kharkov to Berlin January 1943 to May 1945 and Barbarossa to Stalingrad June 1941 to December 1942 instead. You can probably use the same basic program as for Normandy and you will probably be using suitably ammended versions of the German graphics for the later period and obviouslty new Russian Front terrain graphics.

Luke