Screenshots from tutorial

Yeah, me too. :) I know you guys are coming from a positive place. I am too. It wasn't an unenjoyable conversation (buy me a beer and I'll happily compare Warscape with other RTS engines in minute detail), just not one that seemed headed anyplace useful in the absence of a whole lot more information than I'm able to discuss. I should probably go back and sprinkle that last post with a few more smilies. I've got a few hours of work to do before I can sleep, though, so let's just take them as a given. :)

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always thought that one of the reasons for CM engine being turn based was that it could do a lot of calculations before the turn was played, without straining the CPU with them in real time. This way graphics could be much better, as everything that is happening on screen is just an pre calculated animation. From what Phil is saying i gather that the engine is real time oriented now and does not profit much from this philosophy.

Too bad in my opinion.

Hmm, I was just looking at the ground textures and noticed they are 2048 for the grass textures but also that they are stretched across about 64x64m in-game. How come it wasn't 512x512 and stuck on the 8x8 grid? To reduce repetition? Perhaps use an overlay pattern on the top of it all?

If you use WeGo I assume that is what happens, but if you do not use WeGo then everything is done real time (thus more CPU load).

I remember this was an issue in CMSF so they reintroduced to blue bar for this reason.

Phil will be able to clarify though.

The problem is that even in WeGo mode, when paused, so without any need for all those CPU consuming calculations for LOS, AI etc., this game can choke a little without any apparent reason (turning on shadows can cause even more slowdown), while other games run smoothly with even more objects on screen and action running forward.

The problem is that even in WeGo mode, when paused, so without any need for all those CPU consuming calculations for LOS, AI etc., this game can choke a little without any apparent reason (turning on shadows can cause even more slowdown), while other games run smoothly with even more objects on screen and action running forward.

You're making a fairly dizzying number of largely fact-less assumptions here. And ignoring my assertion that comparing the inner workings of CM's engine to other games (unless you've been an engine programmer on one of them, in which case your assumptions would probably be different) is going to lead to your being... wrong. :)

Quite a lot of users have reported that systems that cannot handle the game in RT can handle WEGO better.

Hmm, I was just looking at the ground textures and noticed they are 2048 for the grass textures but also that they are stretched across about 64x64m in-game. How come it wasn't 512x512 and stuck on the 8x8 grid? To reduce repetition? Perhaps use an overlay pattern on the top of it all?

They are 2048^2, although you can use whatever size you want. No matter what size you use, the texture gets scaled to 50x50m. I'd guess that BF did it this way to reduce repetition, as you suggest.

On the downside, the fixed texture scaling means that it is impossible to make gridded terrain that lines up with the action spots. I'd much prefer it if the textures were alignable with the action spots so that an action-spot grid was possible. I wonder if this would be hard to change? Instead of scaling all textures to 50m, make them be 2.4414 cm/pixel. Thus the existing textures still map to 50x50 and nothing changes, but people who want a sensible grid can just cut their textures down to 1966x1966, which would map to 48x48.

You're making a fairly dizzying number of largely fact-less assumptions here. And ignoring my assertion that comparing the inner workings of CM's engine to other games (unless you've been an engine programmer on one of them, in which case your assumptions would probably be different) is going to lead to your being... wrong. :)

Quite a lot of users have reported that systems that cannot handle the game in RT can handle WEGO better.

I think the key word here was "paused".

• 1 month later...

Re FRAPS. Am embarrassed to say that I have it on my Win 7 system - but, I don't see any documentation as to how to actually use it.

I start FRAPS and a little window opens: "General"; "FPS"; "Movies"; "Screenshots".

The "Screenshots" tab says: Screen Capture Hotkey: F10

Are there crayon-level step by step instructions to capture a shot in CM2?

Re FRAPS. Am embarrassed to say that I have it on my Win 7 system - but, I don't see any documentation as to how to actually use it.

I start FRAPS and a little window opens: "General"; "FPS"; "Movies"; "Screenshots".

Once you have FRAPS running:

1. switch to or start CMBN
  2. adjust your camera to watch the action of interest
  3. pause the game when the turn is showing what you want to capture
  4. consider turning tress on fully, turning off floating icons, turning off hit text and deselecting units - depending on what you want to show us
  5. press the F10 key
  6. repeat as you wish

Now FRAPS will have saved your captured screen images in the directory you can configure on that same tab where you saw that F10 was the hot key for screen capturing.

Looking forward to seeing cool stuff...

start fraps, confirm key required to take screenshots, minimise fraps, start game - you will know fraps is watching as theres a frame rate counter in the top left, play, press f10, play some more, press f10 - somewhere - i think on the screen where you designate f10 is your key for shots it will tell you where its dumping all the screenshots - pick a folder, play, f10, play, f10 - go to folder, marvel at the jpegs in here!!