Troop Movement

At the start of a game (playing WeGo), I give infantry initial orders for fast move over a long distance.

At the start of the second turn (minute) most are "Tired" but still have movement lines that are "fast" left from the first turns orders.

My question is will the troops move faster than a "Normal" move the next turn, moving till exhaustion?

If I leave things alone will the tired troops automatically slow down to the speed of a "Normal" move until reaching a Ready status and then move again "Fast" until they're Tired again?

Should I cancel the Fast moves and re-plot the moves using normal speed?

I guess, bottom line, what is the fastest way to get infantry afoot from point A to point B over a long distance?

If you can load them in trucks! If no trucks are in the scenario then I exect the scenario maker has made enough turns so that you don't have to have the Inf running over long distances so you should use the move order. Maybe sprint when near the end. I only use fast if say I have a squad that needs to cross a street that maybe under enemy observation.

I rarely use fast. Like Wodin I only use fast if I need to cross an exposed area and it is something I can do in a turn. If you are crossing a map, then I am afraid it's either walking or trucks. If you try fast over a considerable distance you will simply exhaust your men and will lose whatever time you thought you'd gained trying to get them combat capable again.

Also watch out for terrain type. Plowed fields wil exhaust your men even without fast movement.

You can move Quick for very long distances without getting too tired. A kilometer or more, I would guess. It is the optimal speed for most moves.

You almost never need Fast. It is also not much faster than Quick, but much much more tiring. There is data on speeds at the wiki: http://combatmission.wikia.com/wiki/Speed . Fast is just 20% faster than Quick. Unfortunately, there is no data on tiringness as yet, so I can't quantify that.

There is only one real reason to use Fast: it is to make sure your infantry do not stop and shoot at something when completely exposed and standing. (They will do this more the slower they go.) That they get there a little bit faster is a bonus, but not that consequential.

"My question is will the troops move faster than a "Normal" move the next turn, moving till exhaustion?

If I leave things alone will the tired troops automatically slow down to the speed of a "Normal" move until reaching a Ready status and then move again "Fast" until they're Tired again?

Should I cancel the Fast moves and re-plot the moves using normal speed?"

Sorry nobody actually answered your question, as I'd be interested as well. I guess we just have to try it...

"My question is will the troops move faster than a "Normal" move the next turn, moving till exhaustion?

Should I cancel the Fast moves and re-plot the moves using normal speed?"

Sorry nobody actually answered your question, as I'd be interested as well. I guess we just have to try it...

Sorry, I don't normally do this so I can't really answer that. What I have found is it takes a long time to get them fit enough to do much once exhausted. If I have them hit that point I simply cancel all commands and let em rest.

The scenario is a QB, meeting engagement, with about 500 meters to cover to get to the objective.

I have never ran troops to exhaustion.

I think in CM1 once they get tired they slow down to normal speed even if they still have Fast or Run orders.

The only time I saw exhaustion is when troops were broken or routed and were running for their lives. (possibly climbing also)

At the start of a game (playing WeGo), I give infantry initial orders for fast move over a long distance.

At the start of the second turn (minute) most are "Tired" but still have movement lines that are "fast" left from the first turns orders.

My question is will the troops move faster than a "Normal" move the next turn, moving till exhaustion?

If I leave things alone will the tired troops automatically slow down to the speed of a "Normal" move until reaching a Ready status and then move again "Fast"

My experience says no they will not recover and start running again. I have not done tests but here is what my experience tells me:

1) when troops get to fatigued they slow to "normal" speed even when they have a fast or a quick order.

2) if you guys get to fatigued stop and let them rest. You do not want to get them exhausted - it takes a really long time to recover from that.

3) troops can go at quick for quite along time. Much longer than if they are ordered to go fast. Use quick for long distances but watch your heavy weapons teams they get tired first.

4) using normal move does not seem to make troops more tired. So, they will not go from tiring to tired or from tired to fatigued.

5) the only way to recover is to be stopped. I have not seen troops get more rested unless they are not moving.

6) did I say do not get your troops exhausted? Don't. I once had a skipper team become exhausted and I had to let him sit still for 10 min or more just to get back to tiring again. You just do not want to go there.

did I say do not get your troops exhausted? Don't. I once had a skipper team become exhausted and I had to let him sit still for 10 min or more just to get back to tiring again. You just do not want to go there.

Brand that on your heart. DO NOT LET YOUR TROOPS GET EXHAUSTED if there is any possible way to avoid it without losing the game. Once they become exhausted, they aren't a lot of good for much of anything, and getting them back into shape may take more turns than you have left in the game.

Michael