Reading in Preparation for Commonwealth Module Campaigns

Hello All:

So far I have read 2 books on Normandy. One was by Beevor and I am able to handle the detail level in that. I wished there were more maps.

I would like to do some reading for the commonwealth module and especially for the 2 campaigns that Wodin pointed to. I wonder if I get books that go down to the level of one operation, as in Operation Epsom, if the detail will be overwhelming? The only reference I have for you is the Beevor book to help me in terms of detail level.

1) What are good reads for Epsom? I have seen these 3 at Amazon. Any thoughts on these or others?

Operation Epsom (Battle Zone Normandy) by Lloyd Clark

OPERATION EPSOM - OVER THE BATTLEFIELD by Ian Daglish

OPERATION EPSOM (Battleground Europe) by Tim Saunders

2) What are good reads for Falaise?

3) Are there single books that treat most of what is in the area of the commonwealth module?

Thanks in advance,

Gerry

Not about Epsom, but No Holding Back: Operation Totalize, Normandy, August 1944 by Brian Reid would be hard to beat.

Several books recommended in another recent thread also would merit your attention. Tank! by Ken Tout is one of them. The Guns of Normandy: A Soldier's Eye View, France 1944 by George G. Blackburn is another. Those three should get you started.

Michael

I just noticed another series on Amazon, named "Battle Zone Normandy". It has books on Epsom and Falaise Pocket.

LOL. Hey at least you got side tracked onto something that has to do with what you are looking for...I go there for a couple things and end up in left field every time...talk about attention deficit! Me and books...it's like mixing crack, heroin and a bag full of boobies.

Mord.

I can second "No Holding Back," by Brian Reid. Excellent book.

I also own the "South Alberta Regiment" by Donald Graves. Incredible book that follows the 29th armd recce regiment (The South Alberta Regiment) from it's creation in Alberta, through training in B.C., and then on to England, and all the battles in France, Belgium, Holland and Germany. Some real amazing stuff in there. Including the battles for the Falaise Pocket (St. Lambert Sur Dives, for instance). The real pointy end of the stick. (The SAR was one of the few units in the area attempting to hold back the flood of retreating Germans.)

Gpig

I very much enjoyed all of the Battleground Europe series, but particularly the books covering the British and Commonwealth sectors of Normandy. There's lots of detail at all levels and plenty of plans, maps and photos. Highly recommended.

I didn't find the books covering the American sectors to be quite as detailed or well written.

For Canadian Juno to Falaise:

Terry Copp Fields of Fire, I really like this author.

http://www.amazon.ca/Fields-Fire-Canadians-Terry-Copp/dp/0802037305

and mark Zuehlke 3 books on normandy:

Juno Beach, Holding Juno and Breakout from Juno

Those 2 authors have book covering the whole Canadian front 1944-1945

a good movie about Verriere ridge(free legal streaming):

http://www.nfb.ca/film/In_Desperate_Battle_Normandy_1944

http://www.zuehlke.ca/Canadian-Battle-Series/

Official History of the Canadian Army in the Second World War,

I'm not a big fan, but can find some usefull infos.

http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/UN/Canada/CA/Victory/index.html

The 'Over the Battlefield'-series by Ian Dalgliesh are among the best books on Normandy. Buy them without hesitation.

I would add a similar sentiment. Ian Daglish did a great job combining actual combat photo recce footage with detailed topo maps and combat reports to create the 3 books in his "Over the Battlefield" series.

Depending on your knowledge of Normandy, they may be too tactical in outlook; you may benefit from studying strategic and operational level books, first. Regardless, you WILL regret not having these three books on your shelf at some point in your life.

Buy them.

• 1 month later...