Really stumped by this - artillery & C2 links etc

Okay, second mission in C&F. I have a HQ Support team of one man, with binocs and a radio, He can call in artillery fine. How come a 60mm mortar takes 6 minutes to call, when the one next to it, from the same platoon, takes 4. I presume this is purely because one mortar is regular, and one is green? Is this how it works?

Secondly, I have another XO team, two men, further forward, out out of direct C2 with its company commander. However it still has C2 links to the division. This unit does not have a radio, yet it CAN call artillery. How come?

Does a green mortar team respond faster than a regular mortar team? Dunno, but it seems reasonable to me.

"However it still has C2 links to the division" I am confused by this. How do you know? If you are looking at the red crosses/green lights in the bottom left hand corner, I fear you are misreading what that actually means.

Okay, second mission in C&F. I have a HQ Support team of one man, with binocs and a radio, He can call in artillery fine. How come a 60mm mortar takes 6 minutes to call, when the one next to it, from the same platoon, takes 4. I presume this is purely because one mortar is regular, and one is green? Is this how it works?

Yes.

Secondly, I have another XO team, two men, further forward, out out of direct C2 with its company commander. However it still has C2 links to the division. This unit does not have a radio, yet it CAN call artillery. How come?

If an individual in the unit is qualified to spot, the unit will be able access the indirect fire assets regardless of their C2 status or equipment. However, their C2 status may have an impact on their effectiveness.

Hi, Phil.

You are right, in BFN the experience level of firing and spotting unit determine the time it will take for indirect fire to arrive (barring other factors like suppression, etc.).

In the current iteration of the game, offmap artillery can be called in by any HQ or FO, regardless if they have radios equipped or are in C2-contact.

Some basic information on C2 and indirect fire:

http://www.battlefront.com/community/showpost.php?p=1272591&postcount=1

P.S.: OK, AKD you are a first. Gotta love to see someone posted the exact same answer while you were typing...

"However it still has C2 links to the division" I am confused by this. How do you know? If you are looking at the red crosses/green lights in the bottom left hand corner, I fear you are misreading what that actually means.

I must be mistaken then. To be honest I haven't really studied the manual yet. Unit has red cross to company commander, and a green light to the divisional representative on the map.

I must be mistaken then. To be honest I haven't really studied the manual yet. Unit has red cross to company commander, and a green light to the divisional representative on the map.

That means the company commander has comms with the higher command not the selected unit.

Sheesh, Mr. Stanbridge, you post elsewhere how you are not doing so well in your battles and now you tell us that you haven't got round to reading the manual yet. Have you considered that these two things might be linked?

That means the company commander has comms with the higher command not the selected unit.

Sheesh, Mr. Stanbridge, you post elsewhere how you are not doing so well in your battles and now you tell us that you haven't got round to reading the manual yet. Have you considered that these two things might be linked?

Well, I'm looking after a 6 month old at the same time, maybe this has something to do with it. I will get round the reading the rest of the manual in due course.

In the current iteration of the game, offmap artillery can be called in by any HQ or FO, regardless if they have radios equipped or are in C2-contact.

If that's how it works, it makes no sense at all. I'm feeling a little like Alice in Wonderland.

:confused::confused::confused:

Michael

If that's how it works, it makes no sense at all. I'm feeling a little like Alice in Wonderland.

:confused::confused::confused:

Michael

Me too!

I thought I remember seeing the opposite: now I have to go look again!

I also just read someone else suffering from "my mortar is right next to it's commander, and the commander can't command it". Has anyone seen this? Is there a "yes, that's because..." explanation for that? (If the mortar is not deployed, it should just say "out of position" or something, right?)

I also just read someone else suffering from "my mortar is right next to it's commander, and the commander can't command it". Has anyone seen this? Is there a "yes, that's because..." explanation for that? (If the mortar is not deployed, it should just say "out of position" or something, right?)

Yes, there is an explanation. Low level mortars (often the US 60mm) are assigned to a specific HQ. That HQ is responsible for routing request calls. If it is out of C2 with it's assigned HQ then the C2 link is broken. Putting another HQ, which doesn't have authority to command the Mortars, does not put them into the artillery pool for indirect fire.

Overall this is realistic behavior. A 1st LT couldn't walk up to a bunch of mortars and say "I heard you can't communicate with your Captain. So I'm going to command you now" and be assured this would happen. Under normal circumstances the grizzled NCO in charge of the mortars would say something "interesting" that the 1LT would then whine about to his CO, who would likely smirk and tell him to get over himself :D

But seriously, there is a definite realism limitation here. The first is you can't retask units during Setup. That would correctly simulate a change in C2 links prior to the battle starting, something which could absolutely happen if the right people were involved (for example, the Captain ordering the NCO to take orders from the 1LT). The second situation is when the mortars have reason to believe that their C2 isn't being bypassed, but rather repaired through alternative channels. This is a little harder to quantify, but obviously in real life it could happen.

Steve

Does that mean they occasionally explode for no apparent reason, simulating dropping a bomb?

That would be taking it a little further than I had intended, although I suppose it must have happened somewhere sometime. God knows, everything else did. No, what I meant was the it might take them a minute or two longer to get set up and put the sight on the target.

Michael