It's April 12th...

That's got to be more than halfway to what we all hope for folks....

my happy thought for the day.

At this time some 50 years ago there were people s****ng their pants in the west as Gagarin circled the earth.

My happy thought for the day is that those paranoid days was 50 years ago. :D

Now tremble all enemies of the Republic!

At the risk of taking this thread OT (but hell, I think the essential point has been made), do you think the CMx2 engine is sufficiently advanced at this point to -- horses and riders excepted, which is tricky but I'm sure Charles can manage! -- create an engaging Civil War game? (With a Crimean War / European Powers intervention what-if module)

Or is the scale of CM (~300 infantry per side, maybe 500 if you have a powerful rig) too limiting to get the really interesting fights? Or maybe I'm underestimating the ability of the engine?

Sure is! As a reenactor these next four years of the 150th anniversary cycle are going to be pretty cool!

Just for fun, here's yours truly.

Impeccable form on the firing line if I do say so myself.

Yeah! I bet in a couple years there'll be an absolutely massive reenactment at Gettysburg!!! I'll be wanting to head out there to see that!

At the risk of taking this thread OT (but hell, I think the essential point has been made), do you think the CMx2 engine is sufficiently advanced at this point to -- horses and riders excepted, which is tricky but I'm sure Charles can manage! -- create an engaging Civil War game? (With a Crimean War / European Powers intervention what-if module)

Or is the scale of CM (~300 infantry per side, maybe 500 if you have a powerful rig) too limiting to get the really interesting fights? Or maybe I'm underestimating the ability of the engine?

Oh yeah! I've thought that would be really nice!!! I'd think that in the end, it would have to be simpler- a lot fewer weapons to deal with, no worries about thickness, quality, slope, etc. of armor.

But, I'm sure that they've got decades worth of World War 2 to deal with, so they'd probably never really have the chance to deal with something like that- but maybe!

I would love to see one,But I do not think this games engine would work,I think something more along the lines of the Total War series would work well and I think they may be the ones to pull it off at some point in the future.This engine seems to be more suited to a smaller scale fight.

Uh, don't meant to sound rude here, but what more do you want? You know there's going to be a Mac version coming out "not too long after the PC version."

Search this page for the word "Mac" and I think it's the first one that comes up . . .

I wasn't being rude, just: a) impatient (10 years is a long wait) and, B) pointing out that "in the next weeks" is normally considered less than a month + 2 days.

"Mac users! The game will be available for both the PC platform as well as Mac OS X. Today, we are launching pre-orders for the PC version only! If you are interested in purchasing the Mac OS X version, please wait until we open pre-orders separately for it in the next weeks. The Mac OS X version is currently scheduled to be released not too long after the PC version."

As a programmer myself I understand the delay (ecommerce and distribution, DRM, both of which could have been completely eliminated for OSX users if BF had chosen to distribute via the App Store which they did not) but that doesn't make me any less impatient after a decade.

Perhaps BF might change their home page to read something less specific re: time ... "If you are interested in purchasing the Mac OS X version, please wait until we open pre-orders separately for it soon" ??

I agree that my post came off a bit odd ... Maybe I should have put a different emoticon to express my feelings better in my post ... :)

That's awesome.

We are a western Federal unit. 49th Indiana, Co. F. We take a lot of pride in doing our western soldier impressions right and trying to shed more light on the overlooked western Feds as compared to their comrades in arms in the Eastern Theater.

Here's a pic of me and three of my pards taken in full battle gear at the Nash Farm Battlefield, just south of Atlanta, Georgia. This is a tintype taken on a period camera and developed they way they did it back then by a photographer who travels around to various reenactments to take authentic pictures. I love this pic.

94281441805884736872034.jpg

Here we are last October in front of Dunker Church on the Antietam Battlefield portraying the 6th Wisconsin of the famed Iron Brigade. We were specially invite to come out and do a weekend living history on the battlefield.

tanglefootib1.jpg

Sure is! As a reenactor these next four years of the 150th anniversary cycle are going to be pretty cool!

Just for fun, here's yours truly.

Impeccable form on the firing line if I do say so myself.

immersive5.jpg

immersive1.jpg

Very nice! I've been interested in reenacting, but think I will wait for a bit. I am planning to attend the 150th anniversary of Gettysburg, however -- that should be a blast!

Steve