Games you're waiting on...

That screenshot made me almost vomit. :eek:

Well crap, I'll keep working on the graphics for it then. Sorry that you didn't like it. Curious, do you play board wargames (or did you)? It may be very hard to please people used to FPS/RTS games with a cover of an old boardgame like this; it's obviously going to appeal to the old-school crowd and not newer/younger players (not saying that you're "newer" or "younger"....).

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well crap, I'll keep working on the graphics for it then. Sorry that you didn't like it. Curious, do you play board wargames (or did you)? It may be very hard to please people used to FPS/RTS games with a cover of an old boardgame like this; it's obviously going to appeal to the old-school crowd and not newer/younger players (not saying that you're "newer" or "younger"....).

Your exactly right, I never played the older board wargames. I admit I would never have said that if I had known it was you working on the game. I'm sorry for being rude :o. The closest I came to board/hex game for the pc was Korsun Pocket. I did get into it a little bit.

The only board wargames, now using this term very lightly, I played when I was a kid was Risk and Stratego. I did start playing games on my dads pc in the early 80s though(long live Car Wars). And I still think B-17 Bomber for the Intellivision is one of the best games ever made.

No problem - I'm just helping the developer with the graphics for the game and honestly, it is a bit bland of a palette to work with. However, I do think that it captures the look and feel of the old boardgames nicely, so it will be a game catered to the niche market that's for sure.

Outside of various BF and associated publishers, the one I'm dying to play is BiA: Hell's Highway. Sadly, it's not due until October. Everything I've seen of it so far only makes me want it sooner. Would be playing on the X-Box 360.

Regards,

John Kettler

Brothers In Arms Hells Highway:

Release Date: Nov 14, 2006

Release Date: Summer 2008

Release Date: Aug 26, 2008

Release: Sep 23, 2008

When is this (bleeping) game coming out? I'm going crazy! I've been waiting for two years! I put off buying an XboX 360 for this game! Argh!

It's true that it's now coming out in October? *Crying*

I'm going to go get drunk, and watch the E3 video again.

And speaking of flight sims, something along the line of A-10 Attack!, except not quite so dufussy would be appreciated. It was goofy, but it was fun.

Michael

Is that the Warthog sim from back around mid 90s? That game was great, I remember using that chaingun, good fun. You know with all the popular A10, Apache, AC-130 gunship videos from Iraq and Afganistan I'm surprised we haven't seen more sims of these aircraft. The recent CoD 4 game with the gunship mission was a fan fav. Blowing sh*t up using different optics is just plain fun.

Here it is, ahh the memories...

A-10attack.JPG

My eyes! While searching for a vid on Sherman tactics vs. the Tiger 1 at Normandy, I had the horror of encountering a travesty I wish to warn you against, save as a beer & pretzel romp: Panzer Elite Extreme Action. I was playing PE before I ever even heard of the CMBO Beta Demo, and what was once a very groggy tank sim, complete with gunsight markings you really needed to grok in order to hit something, has now become (gasp!) an over the shoulder arcade type piece of martial insanity. How insane? You in your Sherman tank singlehandedly destroy everything Axis in North Africa. Not quite, but close. I heard years ago that something more popular was in the works, but this?

I would really like to see a proper PE II. With what can be done now, that would be amazing to behold and probably incredible to play. In old PE, you had real combat tasks to perform, coupled with harsh reamings if you failed. Mind, the AI controlling the rest of the platoon was enough to turn a saint into an idolator! Also, the game was moddable even at the gunnery model and terminal effectiveness level. I know this because I worked with people like clausb making needed improvements.

Regards,

John Kettler

JK, yeah I heard of this monstrosity, they really took the PE name and destroyed it. The original PE was great tank sim fun no doubt. I'd also love to see a true sequel to it.

Not sure if your aware of them, but there's a couple of unreleased titles that might be good, WWII Battle Tanks: T-34 vs Tiger. That's an old article from simhq from way back in Dec of 06. It was officially delayed in March of this year. Don't think there has been a new release date set yet.

The other WWII tank sim I'm keeping my eye on is "Steel Fury: Kharkov 42". There is a demo available found here. IIRC the demo isn't bad, some definite room for improvement though, but I think their on the right track.

Wheres the demo of T-34 vs Tiger available at? And is it in Russian? All I found was this trailer over at filefront.com. I like how the T-34s brew up, but it seems kinda canned, hit it in the turret or just below and the turret gets blown off everytime. I wish they had better damage modeling, not just accurate penetration calculations, but eye candy damage. Heck how about some sparks and whatnot, not that I would know, but wouldn't a high velocity shell slamming into steel things kick off some sparks or something. One thing that is much loved from the IL2 series is the damage modeling. Hope we'll be able to gun down infantry and blow buildings up.

Wow, do I have time and motivation to learn the overly awkward and complex Steel Fury controls? I think not.

Hehe yeah, I think I printed it out and played while reading/learning. Only took me about 20 mins to get use to them. They're not that bad for a sim.

I'll keep trying but I'm completely alienated. Can't even achieve the simplest tasks yet. Switch views, stations, load and fire a shell, etc etc. And that's with the gameplay settings set to Simplistic Moron mode. WTF?

I missed out on the great tanks sims of yesteryear, too busy shooting down Bf-109s, so maybe I need to learn what's the traditional key arrangement in tanksims, like how all flightsims share much the same basic key scheme.