why tiles over hexes by the way? Was it easier to make a map, from a graphical point of view (and I can understand that!), or do they have advantages I don't see? I have one gripe against them: you can move faster diagonally.

SMG42,

Graphically it is easier under the isometric view, i.e. a little bit more space for the overlapping effect, and for combat it gives you 8 movement directions as opposed to 6 with hexes. Plus it has a little bit more of a modern/fresh feel as opposed to hexes (which was important for this sequel) but at the same time it is not to say I will never do hexes again smile.gif

For marketing reasons as well, I think moving away from the 2D hex-based map will help remove the "Wargame" stigma that keeps casual players away.

Most of my friends, all they see when they see hexes is "not fun". In their minds anything that uses hexes is probably too slow and complicated, and overall it just feels "stale".

The new map style and 3D icons should go a ways to dispel that notion when people see screenshots. This game is definitely made for a niche audience, but it never hurts to get more customers. smile.gif

I have pondered the "editor" thing with some games. And my opinion on it has not always run as a constant.

But, if you look at games out there, ones with editors, and compare them with games, games that are buy it and play it and if you want more, you have to pay more again, I think, it comes down in favour of more support for a seriously effective editor. Or at least mod friendly.

The list of iconic games out there, the ones that came about 5-10 years ago, and are STILL dominant titles with massive fan bases, is not a massively long list, but it is still a really good example of what you get with a serious editor in a good game.

Close Combat

Steel Panthers

Combat Mission

TOAW

Civilization

Heroes of Might and Magic

Those titles are all very powerful names in the gaming world. They have all basically proven nearly timeless.

Up against that, is HPS for instance, and their ever increasing line of titles, but you never get anything more than what you bought.

And while the average HPS title is a good purchase, you don't find fan sites out there either, obsessing over the games.

If in 5 years, HC is unable to continue sales of SC2, it likely won't be because of the editor.

Chances are though, he won't be suffering in the industry as a mostly unknown designer.

He's made a solid name for himself, and that can only go towards making each and every following project that much more likely to be successful.

There's more than a few game designers, that sell mostly off the power of their name, and not the actual power of the game's reviews.

I bought Civ IV more on the basis of previous reputation than anything else.

Looking forward to hearing about your next project when you are rested Hubert.

Oh what happened to diagonal moves costing more?

If a straight move costs one move point then a

diagonal move would be:

the square root of 1 squared + 1 squared, or

square root of 2 = 1.414 move points, which you

could round up to to 1.5 for playability purposes.

[i teach this stuff all the time as I'm a math

teacher]

I can see some gamey moves being made which take

advantage of this, esp. in the Atlantic since you

can choose your route square by square if you

like...

Originally posted by John DiFool the 2nd:

Oh what happened to diagonal moves costing more?

If a straight move costs one move point then a

diagonal move would be:

the square root of 1 squared + 1 squared, or

square root of 2 = 1.414 move points, which you

could round up to to 1.5 for playability purposes.

[i teach this stuff all the time as I'm a math

teacher]

I can see some gamey moves being made which take

advantage of this, esp. in the Atlantic since you

can choose your route square by square if you

like...

It has not been a problem so far. It works out fine.

Now there's a huge chance for derailing in this, but I can't refrain myself...

When the transition to tiles was first announced, I preached about at least having diagonal moves cost 1,5x movement points. Apparently to no avail, but I would still very much be in favor of that feature. Not only would it give a more "neat" movement pattern (more round as opposed to square, this is especially disturbing with ships), but it would also be more logical. As it is, a diagonal zig-zag pattern will cost you just as many movement points as going in a straight line while allowing you to cover much more ground with your movement (especially impotant in naval scouting).

Essentially 1.5 would have made judging distances a bit more of a challenge and after a few tests I think it was only > 3 Action Points where you get into the desired circle effect. Of course this depends on how you round but at the the lower AP values you pretty much get the same pattern that exists now so while there is still some give and take these patterns and game play reasons made it an easier choice.