The Demo Is Here!! Who's Played It?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just played the 1940 campaign. Very nice! Love the graphics, sound effects and most importantly the gameplay. I still have a bunch to learn and get use to... but overall very impressed! Looking forward to the full version of the game...

The demo ended in September 1940 and my wife had to bring me some tissues... :D

For the fatherland! tongue.gif

Well I sure don't get the "croweded" part. That was my biggest complain in SC1.

In this one there is plenty of room to maneuver. Sure France can be crowded at first with the whole German army but later on when the Germans are streched you'll be crying for more units.

Both sides will be streched.

Oh and buying units is turned off in the demo.

I just did the 'Low Countries' DEMO, Benelux,Denmark & Norway!.

The game played well, i didn't take all three targets on the 1st turn,and so didn't notice any spectacular attack bonuses...but was noticing a loss of effectiveness when fresh conquest's were not recent!.

Overall...i did not find the SQUARE'S to be any kind of a hinderance at all!,...nor, the ISOMETRIC'S to be any problem either!.

Yes, in the DEMO, unit's could not be purchased!...as well as i was 'unable' to save the game in progress in the demo!.

There was a comment on 'Crowded Maps'...well!...it's no more crowded than in SC1...maybey even slightly less!. However, ive always been a fan of Larger more spacious Map's!...and would like to see creations where that option in game-playing is available!.

I would like to have had the feature to 'turn on' or 'turn off',...a hovering box explaining or illustrating the functions of the button's,..and also was glad to see that more of the screen is available for gameplay as verses SC1...where nearly half of it was used up by Option-User buttons, etc!.

Other than those few observations...i'd give this game a 2-Thumb's Up!.

Just finished Game 1 of Demo, I liked it. The units moved/slided very smoothly. Noticed Japanese Attacks Pearl Harbor Popup Event in the scripts! Took France Relatively Quickly and skipped Norway for Iceland. Lured UK navy into a series skirmishes in the Atlantic. They kept attacking at 1 to 3 and 2 to 4 odds. They lost 4 ships, to no losses for the Axis who kept retreating damaged ships to Iceland for repair before sending them backout to battle.

I have to get used to the small - no name - buttons on the side.

Liked the convoy and war maps. Lots more exploring to do.

Looked at the scripts. Interesting that Allied forces in Egypt receive lots of reinforcements. Script organization is nice, well organized.

Will experiment lots more in the coming days, perhaps try adding an AI script (if its not there yet) for UK Navy to blockade North Atlantic at start of war to prevent Axis conquest of Iceland say 25% of the time or have UK send Corps to Iceland.

[ April 04, 2006, 07:17 PM: Message edited by: Edwin P. ]

Hubert and Pzgnrd

I did try the demo and it took about 10 minutes just to figure out how to quit! I was ready to kill it from the task list when I stumbled on the button that changed the other buttons.

I pushed the pieces around but had no idea what I was missing without some kind of help file or manual. Are combined armor/infantry attacks possible? How do you drop paras? I tried moving a para and it switched to a transport but not back to a para when I moved it. Can subs interdict convoys, or are convoys even in the game? Tried moving an air unit and it seemed to bomb a land unit even though the picture was a fighter, but I don't know how to relocate air units or even if you can. How do ship units ferry land units for an invasion? Etc, etc.

I'll bet it's a fine game but I just don't have the time to learn whether I like it by trial and error. I'm sure you have piracy concerns or marketing reasons for not including any help so I'll say no more. Best of luck with it.

Elmo

I'm a tad disappointed in the Battle of the Atlantic.

Just like in SC1 my 2 subs out there didn't survive

very long-and the third one, which got knocked down

to one strength point, mysteriously vanished off the

map during my opponent's turn (after I had sailed

it back into the safety of the Baltic). I think I'll

have to tweak the dive percentage in favor of the

U-boats else they will just get slaughtered, or at

best suffer a severe negative MPP deficit.

I think by crowded, well at least for me, the 3D units are too big for the space...there's too much close together...I'm sure this has been talked about forever, the whole 3d thing...but I still like the original WAY more than this...I hate isometric stuff but thats just me. I do find the nato symbols a lot better than the 3d units so that might work.

JJR, Terif: Give us the low down men!!! I got the demo downloaded. Will try to play tomorrow. I may order it now instead of waiting. Hubert, Matt: you guys are the greatest and any comments to another effect were just sour grapes. God Bless you both!! Tag

Originally posted by John DiFool the 2nd:

I'm a tad disappointed in the Battle of the Atlantic.

Just like in SC1 my 2 subs out there didn't survive

very long-and the third one, which got knocked down

to one strength point, mysteriously vanished off the

map during my opponent's turn (after I had sailed

it back into the safety of the Baltic). I think I'll

have to tweak the dive percentage in favor of the

U-boats else they will just get slaughtered, or at

best suffer a severe negative MPP deficit.

John,

It is true that in the early years with only a few convoy routes to select from Axis subs can still have a hard time out there. While it may not appear so at first, the larger map does help and it is important to remember to keep moving subs around (away from ports and spotting aircraft) and to not constantly remain on a convoy path. The option to run silent is also helpful as well as in later years where there are more convoy routes to select from. The general idea is to make it as hard as possible for the Allied navies to spot your subs, and this coupled with increased storm damage percentages during bad weather turns, i.e. to help prevent the Allied navy from simply just parking their boats out in the Atlantic etc., should make the cat and mouse game a bit more viable than it was in SC1.

For the disappearing sub perhaps this was storm damage that resulted in the sinking of your at strength=1 sub.

Hope this helps,

Hubert

20 mins for a download and no documentation.

I don't understand releasing a demo with no

help on how to play. I've played the original

for years, but I don't have a clue what to do

with this.

Can I cancel my pre-order ?

Very disappointing.

Originally posted by pueo:

20 mins for a download and no documentation.

I don't understand releasing a demo with no

help on how to play. I've played the original

for years, but I don't have a clue what to do

with this.

Can I cancel my pre-order ?

Very disappointing.

Do with this? Its easy to understand the features. Much like sc.